Seriously curious CD question, not being sarcastic

cruzelover55

IMO some of the CD's talk to much. Some are very visible throughout the cruise, others seem to be hiding and are only seen on stage. The only time I really enjoyed the cruise director was when Malcolm did his panamine.(sp) Had a really good on on Princess once and another twice on Celebrity. But I never book according or even look who the CD is.

I would never pick a ship based on a CD and never really paid much attention....but if you happen to be on a ship that has a really good one you really will take notice. Matt on the Breeze is a top notch CD, always out amongst the cruisers engaging with them, funny and just plain enjoyable, working at making sure his guests are having a terrific time. And the Breeze is a great ship

What they said!!!!

I never give a second thought to who the CD is on a cruise. I don't care if they're visible, funny or can sing and dance. What I do know is that a BAD CD can make a cruise far less enjoyable.

The CD is not responsible for running around the ship and schmoozing with the guests. The CD is the one who makes sure that the activities are planned, there is a venue for them and that there are staff there to facilitate the activity.

When you have a bad CD then you know it. Activities don't go off on time, the venue is double booked or no one from the CD staff shows up, or if they do they show up late. This can be a real frustration for the guests.

I'm not sure if the new Entertainment Directors have taken over most of the logistics of this or if it is still in the hands of the CD.

Take care and enjoy the cruise,

Mike

There is one CD, Jen Baxter, who we would probably book a cruise SOLELY because she's the CD. We've sailed with her several times and we just absolutely love her. She is very, very British--a little loud, a little snarky, a little naughty but she (at least from our experience) genuinely cares about the passengers and will do everything in her power to make things right if something goes wrong.

Totally agree! I never paid much attentions to the CD's before, but on our last cruise on the Legend, Jen was the CD and OMG - her and her group were just hysterical and made our cruise so much fun! I wouldn't say a CD could ruin your cruise, but a great one can certainly enhance it!

We just notice if the CD is really good (Butch) or really bad (Jen). But otherwise, most of the time, we don't notice, check, or care who the CD is.

Uuuuugh! [emoji13] How ironic. That's the same Jen that I referenced above. I guess she does make an impression, just not the same one with everybody.

Hahaha! Different strokes for different folks I guess - we loved her and all her goofy cronies! They were so much fun! :)

I never give a second thought to who the CD is on a cruise. I don't care if they're visible, funny or can sing and dance. What I do know is that a BAD CD can make a cruise far less enjoyable.

The CD is not responsible for running around the ship and schmoozing with the guests. The CD is the one who makes sure that the activities are planned, there is a venue for them and that there are staff there to facilitate the activity.

When you have a bad CD then you know it. Activities don't go off on time, the venue is double booked or no one from the CD staff shows up, or if they do they show up late. This can be a real frustration for the guests.

I'm not sure if the new Entertainment Directors have taken over most of the logistics of this or if it is still in the hands of the CD.

Take care and enjoy the cruise,

Mike

Love your Mark Twain quote! This is off the subject, but, maybe, since I started the thread I can? I have the answers to my post and appreciate the responses. You are from Minnesota, do you know where Worthington is? Lived there briefly as a child and just wondered.;)

I sailed with the much-adored Matt Mitchum, and I don't personally think he added anything that any of the other CDs haven't provided. I basically ignore their existence, lol. They simply don't add anything, in my experience. But then again, I don't do the passenger-as-entertainment stuff, don't attend deck parties, etc.

Love your Mark Twain quote! This is off the subject, but, maybe, since I started the thread I can? I have the answers to my post and appreciate the responses. You are from Minnesota, do you know where Worthington is? Lived there briefly as a child and just wondered.;)

Yes I am familiar with Worthington. It is about 150 miles Southwest of where I live. I have to say that I've only been through Worthington and have never really spent time there but it looks like a nice town. Actually closer to Sioux Falls, SD than any other major city.

Take care,

Mike

The CD isn't a deal breaker for me. BUT, When they use the "CD Playbook" during a routine on stage, they lost me. (Does "Elevator/Enterprise", "Pat Of Butter", or "The Sprinkler " ring a bell for anyone?)

Only once have I heard a CD announce "Thanks and goodbye.", instead of the usual debarking jabber on the last morning of the cruise.

My thoughts alone, of course!:rolleyes: