Worried about ATD on Sunshine

sp29488

We've done ATD on the past few cruises and have enjoyed it. I've just read alot of negative reports on ATD on Carnival Sunshine and now I'm worried. I went to my reservation and if we wanted to change to early (late seating is to late for us) it's waitlisted. Just posting not sure anyone can help calm my fears.:(

we did anytime dining last year on the Sunshine, and it was different but not a problem. instead of going to the dining room you go to a table 2 decks up to check in. if there is a table ready they send you down then, if not you get the pager and then turn it in there and go down 2 decks when your turn. the taste bar is right there where you check in so you can sample while you wait.

doug

we did anytime dining last year on the Sunshine, and it was different but not a problem. instead of going to the dining room you go to a table 2 decks up to check in. if there is a table ready they send you down then, if not you get the pager and then turn it in there and go down 2 decks when your turn. the taste bar is right there where you check in so you can sample while you wait.

doug

Thank you Doug,

Your response was very helpful! I really appreciate it when someone writes back a helpful response. :)

doug

Also the waiting area is right there in Ocean Plaza with plenty of seating, also Red Frug Pub is beside that with lots of seating and tv. The only waiting we did was on elegant nights, and it wasn't more than 30 minutes, so we just had a drink and enjoyed the atmosphere which is really nice. And like above poster stated grab an appetizer from the Taste Bar to hold you over until dinner. I would much rather have a nice area to sit down and wait rather than standing in a long line in front of the dining room. :) But enjoy and don't sweat the small stuff. :D

Also the waiting area is right there in Ocean Plaza with plenty of seating, also Red Frug Pub is beside that with lots of seating and tv. The only waiting we did was on elegant nights, and it wasn't more than 30 minutes, so we just had a drink and enjoyed the atmosphere which is really nice. And like above poster stated grab an appetizer from the Taste Bar to hold you over until dinner. I would much rather have a nice area to sit down and wait rather than standing in a long line in front of the dining room. :) But enjoy and don't sweat the small stuff. :D

Thank you:)

I switched to Anytime dining and haven't looked back - no clue what # this is for any time - I LOVE it.

There's usually a small line at the sitting area but it goes incredibly quick - nothing like being at a restaurant back home and usually the only night i've had to wait after talking to the hostess is formal night. As mentioned above, most ships have given me a pager so you can venture off to the atrium bar or just sit down while you wait.

I agree. Looking forward to it on the Sunshine in a couple of days. Waiting is waiting, no matter which ship. It sounds like a better way than waiting in a line outside of a dining room.

We discovered the Alchemy Bar one night when we had about a 20 minute wait until our pager went off. Our party of five would always arrive at 6:30, give or take a few, and we only to wait that one night. But after my first Pineapple Chipotle martini at the Alchemy Bar, I could have been totally fine waiting there EVERY night ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you:)

A lot will depend on the time of evening you go. the closer to the 7-8 o'clock time frame you go, the better chance you will have a small wait. The further away from that time frame you go, the less of a chance you will have to wait.

While I like the concept of ATD, YTD, etc. None of them really are unless you show up at the right time, but I also feel it is a great alternative for mass market ships that cannot accommodate "open seating" dining. Whereby you have an assigned table and wait staff and can show up any time during the scheduled dinner / breakfast / lunch service and just go right to your table.

Ultimately, to avoid waits with ATD, the ships need to be designed for this as to restaurant size. Look what happened with RCL and their "dynamic dining". Nice idea, but you truly need ships built to accommodate it without much if any wait.

If I want to hold on to a pager I'll go to Cheese Cake Factory!:cool:

Off the Sunshine last Sat. YTD worked great. If you go at 6 PM there may be a line on deck 5 meeting place. They will give you a pager that will light up. We waited 15 min. Other nights we went at 645 or 7 with not waiting and went directly to deck 3 MDR. MDR staff were not the best until the last night, had a different table each night. Food OK

You will be fine. ATD is great, especially, if you want to eat at different times.. If you prefer a "set" time, simply make a "standing" reservation for the time you prefer.

We always stop by a bar before heading to dinner...makes any potential wait more enjoyable!

Edited by cb at sea

Those of you who have done ATD without a group along with you, say there were just the two of you, did you find it easy to meet and visit with new people vs. how you would visit with the same people at your table with Traditional Dining? We are trying ATD this time. We hope to meet new friends at ATD as well.

Those of you who have done ATD without a group along with you, say there were just the two of you, did you find it easy to meet and visit with new people vs. how you would visit with the same people at your table with Traditional Dining? We are trying ATD this time. We hope to meet new friends at ATD as well.

When ATD first started we were thrilled. We love to socialize, but not while eating. Wanted a 2 top, and sit alone. Our 2 top was 2" from the next table. They did move it about 4" more. From then on we INSISTED on a real 2 top. They have them. I always felt it strange to be stuck with sitting with people I did not know. Now, 1/2 the time we end up talking to the next table, anyway. But, at least it is our choice, and theirs. Plus, I like that with ATD you can sit at different tables each night and not have the same servers. If you prefer the ones that waited on you the previous night, you can just request them and will be in their station. I have never met anyone on a cruise that was not friendly, I'm sure you will be fine. Of course, about every conversation starts out with, where are you from? Easy conversation starter.:)