Kotor

If you have the chance I would suggest to do a tour in Kotor. Kotor itself is great, but not so big. We did a tour with Popmilo and it was so beautiful. It is also not so expensive. It was the best port we had this cruise.

I was trying to place some pictures, but it seems not to work.IMG_1471508187.704658.jpg.fe640de0a49587e65e0d3855e962a249.jpg

IMG_1471508156.628299.jpg.35ba059955aa9921500eb0cf5f12eb1b.jpg

IMG_1471508166.852638.jpg.e8d70e5c3ac55875726ece1cb4cf304c.jpg

IMG_1471508179.324106.jpg.89016a783229a0e878d266f3095287f6.jpg

Edited by bluedolph1n

if you have climbed the walls and walked the old town - you could get a bus or taxi around to Perast and take a taxi boat out to the island (forgotten the name). Or get a taxi up to Lovcen national park - due to illness I missed out but everyone raves about the reviews

Personally to escape the the busyness and over-priced and very average food that's generally increasingly on offer in Kotor (and I'll stand by that), I'd hire a bike and cycle to the famous naval city of Perast, incredibly influential in terms of European naval history. Very charming town. UNESCO. Impressive naval museum. 12km. Flat. Lovely ride. And you're more likely to get a quality lunch here.

Edited by gary222

Oh, boy, thanks for the heads up, Gary. Sounds like maybe we chose the wrong excursion, which described Budva as an old settlement with "picturesque, narrow streets and quaint squares."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Of course it's still got its narrow streets and quaint squares etc. It can be incredibly picturesque even with the new exclusive hyper luxury Monte Carloesque apartment blocks going up around the old town. But to truly appreciate that lovely charm you could either visit 10 years ago (or before the James Bond film make it attractive to the Russian) or get there before anybody else arrives.

Anyway it's only an hour of your trip....

Personally if you could choose some kind of tour that doesn't include Budva I'd go for that.

The views down to Budva from the coast cliff road are magnificent.

Do you think there will be time to bike there after I hike the wall?

Personally to escape the the busyness and over-priced and very average food that's generally increasingly on offer in Kotor (and I'll stand by that), I'd hire a bike and cycle to the famous naval city of Perast, incredibly influential in terms of European naval history. Very charming town. UNESCO. Impressive naval museum. 12km. Flat. Lovely ride. And you're more likely to get a quality lunch here.

Do you think there will be time to bike there after I hike the wall?

If you don't decide to explore Kotor ( there are lots of lovely things here) 12km and flat to Perast is easily doable. Let's say it takes you 1 hour there and back (that's a very leisurely pace) - that gives you 2 hours in Perast.

Sounds like something I would enjoy. I am going to look into this. Any tips on where to start? Where to grab a bike? or a map?

If you don't decide to explore Kotor ( there are lots of lovely things here) 12km and flat to Perast is easily doable. Let's say it takes you 1 hour there and back (that's a very leisurely pace) - that gives you 2 hours in Perast.

Sounds like something I would enjoy. I am going to look into this. Any tips on where to start? Where to grab a bike? or a map?

A good hike would be to start just outside the northern walls and following the old mule track which is also an official trekking route. This brings you into a beautiful valley you can then enter into and onto the walls through a hole. You then make your way inside and along the walls and then down into Koror the way most people are coming up and down.

You will not have a ticket you will not need one and nobody will ask you for one.

The trekking route/ mule track is visible on Google maps but just check online for more specific instructions. The hole in the wall is not difficult to find and you do not need a map.

It is indeed a good hike and after returning back into the centre of Kotor you'll be gratefull for a nice flat cycle ride to Perast and lunch.

I forget where I rented a bike but I imagine they are pretty easy to find.

I always find OSM - open street map app very useful for trekking or finding all kinds of routes.

Of course it's still got its narrow streets and quaint squares etc. It can be incredibly picturesque even with the new exclusive hyper luxury Monte Carloesque apartment blocks going up around the old town. But to truly appreciate that lovely charm you could either visit 10 years ago (or before the James Bond film make it attractive to the Russian) or get there before anybody else arrives.

Anyway it's only an hour of your trip....

Personally if you could choose some kind of tour that doesn't include Budva I'd go for that.

The views down to Budva from the coast cliff road are magnificent.

We will be there in 2 weeks what Bond film was it in? would like to see it before I go

Edited by George C

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

We're still trying to work out our day in Montenegro, so any help would be appreciated!

I believe the ship docks close to Old Town.

So we thought that we'd walk thru the town and then up the hill to the church/fort/or whatever is at the top. Not sure how long that will take...

After that, we're unplanned. Have any of you found anything interesting?

Many thanks,

Bonnie

Bonnie, that sounds similar to what we planned.

Does anyone have any advice for us? My father in law would not be able to do a hike and so we want to stay close to port really, unless we can organise easy transportation maybe.

Any thoughts and advice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps you should organize a mini van tour of the town. On a trip earlier this year we were travelling w/ some recovering from knee surgery. We did a bus tour of an old town area together, then settled the person into a sedentary activity while the rest of us trekked around town on foot. Just a thought....

Best,

Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much!

Saw a video of the walk up to the top for the fort. It was a long long walk with so many steps. It has put us off trying it, it doesn't seem very relaxing lol

Think we will all stay together and walk around the old town. Then have a drink in Maximus, a bar on the top of the wall tower or walk along to the beach, depending on time. Seems to be lots of bits to walk about and view in the old town of Kotor. The views from Vrata look great up the mountain from the wall and canal.

From reading other reviews and tours I have put this little highlights map together.

Thought it may be useful perhaps

5cd052ef9cca7da585efeb4241444380.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did that walk up to the fort a couple years ago, and it was so worth it. It probably took us about 30-45 minutes. I think my husband and I could have done it a bit quicker, but someone we were was going a bit slower, and it really didn't matter as we were in no particular hurry anyway. The walk really wasn't bad, but there are uneven steps at points along the way. The views along the way were fantastic even better from the top!