Deck 2,3 &4 Staterooms

brownsc

I have never sailed on SD. Is there much of a difference between staterooms on decks 2,3 & 4 other than the price?

I've been on all three decks numerous times. My favorite happens to be deck 3, which is not the most expensive. If I can get deck 3 for a reasonable increase over deck 2, I take it; otherwise I take deck 2. The rooms are identical except that deck 2 has portholes and deck 3 has picture windows - doesn't make a bit of difference to us. When on SD we spend almost no time in the cabin - we are always on deck. This is a marked difference from when we travel on other lines, where we often spend time in the cabin.

The only time we ever had a bad experience in a deck 2 cabin was when we were docked somewhere in Europe and the water level was so low that our porthole faced the wall of the pier. This is easily prevented, though, by taking a cabin on the port side since the gangway is starboard. If you are prone to seasickness, best location is low and midship. That would mean cabin 202. DW is absolutely right. Being with other people, or just lying on a bali bed with a good book (or crossword in my case), is preferred over being in the cabin.

Zimmy's DH

Concur with others. We have done 9 voyages all but one on Deck 3. We like the central location in all directions. Deck 4 doesn't seem worth the extra money given the rooms are the same. Don't go too far forward both for motion in the ocean purposes and because once when we had last Deck 3 forward port side heard the anchor up and down a lot. Also there is a store room at the end of the hallway that staff go in and out of for liquor and wine. If possible avoid the rooms that can convert into "double wide" suites as you might hear your neighbors and vice versa!

We had deck 3 on our first two voyages and deck 2 on our last one. Frankly, having now experienced deck 2, I wouldn't pay much extra for a higher deck. I didn't even notice not having a picture window and the extra flight of stairs was good for burning off booze. :D

Thanks Zimmy.

Can anyone offer advice on booking direct with SD or with a local travel agent?

Never, ever, ever, ever book directly with Sea Dream !

Only ever book with a highly reputable, long standing travel agent, fully insurance backed and with a major credit card offering fullest protection should .........

Edited by ho-hum

Agree with ho-hum, of course. But once you are on your first cruise, take advantage of the on-board booking discount for your next cruise. You can even take the open booking discount on board where you make a small, refundable deposit without committing to a specific cruise. They will still list this as booked through your TA, who will get the commission. Then you might get whatever perks your TA would have given you if you had booked with him/her directly. One more thing about booking - use a credit card that does not have a foreign exchange fee. You fare may be booked through Oslo. We do that also for onboard charges. The way SeaDreamers look out for each other is part of the joy of being in the "Club."

Zimmy's DH

We have been on all three decks and frankly don't notice a bit of difference. We have stayed in singles cabins, in the Commodores, and in the Admirals Suite and other than the great bathroom in the Admirals suite can't tell you any difference.

The Commodore is nice because of the double space and two bathrooms but the deck doesn't matter.