Sea Dream in rough seas...

StarFlyr

I've NEVER been sea sick in my entire life. However, I did come close to it on a ride from Gibraltar to Culta on a vomit sea taxi and ONLY because almost everyone else was heaving along side of me. The smell was terrible.

My wife is a different matter. I'm wondering how SeaDream's 2 smaller ships handle rough seas? Our last voyage was on an Oceania 1250 passenger ship.

Most of the time the ships ride well, BUT there are occasions when its like an E- ticket. The worst we ever had was on the short run from St. Thomas to St. John one night. Normally that is a pretty quiet area but it was so rough that evening that they delayed dinner service for the duration.

Truthfully that is the only time I recall anything ever being too bad, but you may on occasion get some rocking and rolling with the motion in the ocean.

• 1 month later...

My wife is EXTREMELY prone to motion sickness, and so she takes Bonine each day as a preventative measure (24-hour effective) -- similar to Dramamine, and it does the trick. We've been on at least a half dozen crossings, and there was one occasion a few years ago where we actually hit 30-foot seas (ridiculously rare), and that required a nausea pill (we bring them for her, just in case), but the pills were also available from the ship. Other than that one occasion, there has never been the slightest problem. Highly recommend the Bonine and also booking on Deck 2, which has the least "sway".

Edited by BeignetBoy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Au contraire. We do the fall crossing most every year, and other than the infamous three days that Beignetboy has mentioned a few years ago, it has almost always been very smooth seas all the way over... It is a very southerly route taken, either to San Juan or Barbados.

Abenaki is right, the routes are chosen (and modified on the go if necessary) to provide a nice ride. I used to work ships in the North Atlantic and Bering Sea, among other not so nice places, and really do not want to re live some of those events when I choose to sail for fun. I can tell you that the SeaDream twins ride much nicer, imho, than some ships many times their size. Of course, if you are prone to motion sickness, you might feel discomfort tied to a dock. Hopefully you will be having so much fun you won't feel a thing.:eek::D

Gosh, we were on SDII during those infamous 30-foot waves! My husband wasn't bothered but I was down for the count until I got some pills and a cup of broth in my cabin. We always try to book a mid-ship cabin on Deck 2 for the least amount of rock and roll. The Bonine is a great idea (haven't needed it since but now I never cruise without it) and the candied ginger served just outside the main dining room is very helpful for settling your stomach as well.