Suva, Lifou, Noumea, Port Villa questions

Joel&Hall

Hi,

Our family is off on a cruise in November and after some advice, any advice or tips would be great!

In Port Villa we are wanting to go to Hideaway Island but only wanting to stay for a few hrs, how often do the ferries run to and from the Island also what time can you first head over in the morning? Also are there local taxis waiting to bring you back into town? We are also wanting to do the Secret Garden Outdoor Cultural Tour through our cruise, has anyone done this tour? What did you think? we are travelling with 3 kids 5 and under.

Does anyone have any tips on things to do in Lifou & Suva?

Also in Noumea we are wanting to go to Amadee Island but am only wanting to stay for the morning so we can spend some time exploring the town, our cruise ship only offers full day tours, are we able to get there and back easily on our own? Or can anyone recommend a local tour company that does half day tours? Anything not to be missed?

Thanks so much for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Hideaway Island is beautiful. It's a tiny little island and I don't snorkel but my kids did and said it was great. Make sure you post an underwater postcard back home [emoji3]. We went quite late and there was a great and not too expensive cafe there as well. I am not sure how often the ferries leave but it is quite regularly.

There were lots of taxis waiting at the dock and they can be pretty forceful. I would say work out what you are willing to spend, maybe research what others have paid. I think we got ripped off a bit but then as someone pointed out to me the other day, we are much better off financially than they are so now I don't begrudge paying the extra few dollars we paid.

We also did the Cascade waterfall but found it quite expensive (for 5 of us) and we really didn't stay long, seen one waterfall... If you spent more time there and swam i guess it would be good value.

If i went back to Vila I would just go,to Hideaway Island for the day. I haven't done the other ports but would be interested in the answers.

Hope this helps.

Edited by VickieG74

You should be able to get a water taxi to Hideaway from where the ship docks. Just from my opinion the Ship tours with 3 little ones will be costly and maybe a bit to much. We have been on a lot of cruises and I have found it is better just to enjoy the ports.

If you want to see something cultural you might be better doing that at Suva and there will be tour operators at the dock.

Lifou the locals also do tours.

Noumea the Amadee trip is only available through the ship.

The kids would enjoy the Tchou Tchou train and it is cheaper at the ship terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At Lifou there will be a small market close to the tender wharf selling souvenirs (including some nice jewellery) and also food and cold drinks. The beach there has a lot of broken coral so reef shoes are advisable. There will also be locals offering tours. Jinek Bay is a wonderful place to snorkel. There is a fee (AU $15) to snorkel there and they restrict the number of people in the water at any one time to help preserve the reef. It's a short walk, maybe 10 minutes, from the wharf. Head up to the road and turn left, then look for the signs pointing to Jinel Bay on the right. Note, if you want to snorkel you will need to bring your own equipment, there isn't anywhere to hire it.

It isn't possible to go to Amadee Island for a half day, it is quite a long boat trip out to Amadee and all the trips are full day trips.