Thoughts on Noumea, New Caledonia

BEENSAILING

DH and I will be on the Explorer in October 2016 Seattle to Sydney. One of the ports we stop at (for a day) is Noumea, New Caledonia. I have read thru CC port reviews as well as excursion reviews for Noumea. Can someone who has been there please make some recommendations as to what we shouldn't miss (or should...) This will be our first time there.

Royal has made deals with one of the tour operators there for "exclusive" on several of their tours - which means tours usually offered by a certain tour operator in Noumea can only be purchased through Royal on the date we are there.

Also trying to find out info on "Hop On Hop Off" and not having success.

I thought about booking a private tour but the concern is "what happens if the van breaks down..."

Thanks to all in advance for suggestions...

I have been on the HOHO bus at Noumea. It was about $15 each and had stops along the beaches to the aquarium, plus at the jetty for the Duck Island ferry.

It is called the Noumea Explorer, and we bought the tickets at the cruise terminal. It was a fun and easy day.

I have been on the HOHO bus at Noumea. It was about $15 each and had stops along the beaches to the aquarium, plus at the jetty for the Duck Island ferry.

It is called the Noumea Explorer, and we bought the tickets at the cruise terminal. It was a fun and easy day.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

We had a great day in Noumea on a privately organised tour, run by a friendly guy named Albert. I don't think I'm allowed to post tour company names here but you can find it on Tripadvisor if you google it-lots of reviews for it.

We were picked up at the cruise terminal and then went by ferry to Escapade Island, which was beautiful.

After a few hours and a trip back to Noumea, we had a quick bus tour around the city before being dropped back at the cruise terminal.

It was very reasonably priced compared to ship tours, and a really great day. As an alternative, the ship tour to Amadee Island seemed to be well regarded by the people we spoke to.

Your cruise itinerary sounds great, would love to do something similar:)

We had a great day in Noumea on a privately organised tour, run by a friendly guy named Albert. I don't think I'm allowed to post tour company names here but you can find it on Tripadvisor if you google it-lots of reviews for it.

We were picked up at the cruise terminal and then went by ferry to Escapade Island, which was beautiful.

After a few hours and a trip back to Noumea, we had a quick bus tour around the city before being dropped back at the cruise terminal.

It was very reasonably priced compared to ship tours, and a really great day. As an alternative, the ship tour to Amadee Island seemed to be well regarded by the people we spoke to.

Your cruise itinerary sounds great, would love to do something similar:)

Thanks for the reply.

In Noumea we went to the visitors center at the pier, and then outside there were some folks offering van tours of the city, I think next to the HoHo bus. Our van tour was about $10 each for a guided tour of the town and surroundings, maybe an hour, maybe a little more., I don't remember exactly Had some very good viewpoints and got a good commentary on some of the history. It's a big place and I'm sure if a van breaks down there's a back-up.. it's a very civilized city. m--

• 2 months later...

Have not been on it yet but others have recommended Fernando's tours you can find them on tripadvisor very well rated and my cc group has booked with him for next April... Not real cheap though I think 90 ish pp..

Have not been on it yet but others have recommended Fernando's tours you can find them on tripadvisor very well rated and my cc group has booked with him for next April... Not real cheap though I think 90 ish pp..

We ended up booking with Fernando at the beginning of June. I am looking forward to hi showing us his beautiful island. His price fluctuates based on exchange rate of his local currency against the US dollar. Right now it converts to 98.05 USD per person.

I can post here after we do the tour with him....

We had a day with Fernando in February. 4 of us and another couple. It was a good day out to get a taste of Noumea and surrounding areas. He is a nice guy (a real character)and took us to his (modest) home for lunch prepared by his wife.

We had a day with Fernando in February. 4 of us and another couple. It was a good day out to get a taste of Noumea and surrounding areas. He is a nice guy (a real character)and took us to his (modest) home for lunch prepared by his wife.

Based on what I read - and now with your post, I believe DH and I made the right decision to spend the day with him.:)

Based on what I read - and now with your post, I believe DH and I made the right decision to spend the day with him.:)

Is there room for two more? Do you have a plan on what you are doing on the tour. Could you give me more details if you have room? See you on board.

Arlene

Is there room for two more? Do you have a plan on what you are doing on the tour. Could you give me more details if you have room? See you on board.

Arlene

Hi Arlene - I did not do an "organized on the roll call tour" on this one. Here's the link to Fernando.

https://www.fernandos-tours.com/index.php?id=3

Look at cruise ship special morning arrival.

There may be others on our cruise going with Fernando...

Hi Arlene - I did not do an "organized on the roll call tour" on this one. Here's the link to Fernando.

https://www.fernandos-tours.com/index.php?id=3

Look at cruise ship special morning arrival.

There may be others on our cruise going with Fernando...

Hi all, we did a tour with Fernando (based on reviews on Trip Advisor) and had the most wonderful time! He (and his wife and child) are absolutely delightful people and if you have particular places you want to go to (or wish to spend longer at a certain place etc) he willingly accommodates! We had an absolute ball and got to see a fair bit of Noumea on our tour. Not cheap, but worth every cent

Hi all, we did a tour with Fernando (based on reviews on Trip Advisor) and had the most wonderful time! He (and his wife and child) are absolutely delightful people and if you have particular places you want to go to (or wish to spend longer at a certain place etc) he willingly accommodates! We had an absolute ball and got to see a fair bit of Noumea on our tour. Not cheap, but worth every cent

Hi Thanks for your update You say 'not cheap' How much was it approx. and how many of you were there on the tour

Hi Thanks for your update You say 'not cheap' How much was it approx. and how many of you were there on the tour

From memory it was around $140 AUD. There were 4 of us on the tour (myself, my mother and another couple from Aus). Someone has posted the link to his website - I think the prices are listed there, and you can also contact him directly from there to negotiate a price for your party.

From memory it was around $140 AUD. There were 4 of us on the tour (myself, my mother and another couple from Aus). Someone has posted the link to his website - I think the prices are listed there, and you can also contact him directly from there to negotiate a price for your party.

Thank you Unfortunately his prices are now through the ceiling This week

$189 pp plus entry tom some of the places visited and only 120% off if you get a group of 10

Shame as it sounds very good