Vini SIM card?

mjz

We will be traveling to French Polynesia in two weeks. I'd like to be able to check my voicemail and return any urgent calls while away. I currently have an iPhone 6 Plus and I'm on the Sprint network. I can add on an international plan for my travel dates at around $1.60 which would allow me to call back to the USA at $1.99 per minute -- receive texts at $0.05 -- and send texts at $0.50.

Or, I could buy a Vini SIM card upon arrival in Tahiti. My phone is currently unlocked. Does anyone have any idea what it costs per minute to call the USA from French Polynesia with a Vini SIM card? I've gone to the Vini website, but I'm having issues figuring this out since I don't speak/read French. I've also Googled extensively.

I'm not concerned about data as I'll have internet access in our hotels and on our Windstar cruise.

I can also purchase a Vini -- Alcatel One Touch phone with SIM card duty free on Air Tahiti Nui for $25 USD. This comes with 17 minutes of local calling. I'd have to top the SIM off when I get to Tahiti in order to make calls back to the USA.

Many thanks in advance!

We vruised last Spring in French Polynesia covering 5 islands.

Had our I phone 6 - ATT sim did not work. even with international turned on.

I also had an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 2 with a separately purchased (on teh internet) Global SIM card - did not work

So I bought a Vini sim for the Samsung , worked on some i islands

I would buy the phone plus the Vini card. you have the right frequencies and the right service. Plus you don;t have to worry about the adapters going from a nano to the mini sim card. And you avoid local customer service who speak french only. You still have to have someone help you add minutes. The voice commands are all in French.

We had T Mobile for 12 years which worked everywhere, internationally.

• 2 months later...