Tour of Dominica

Giantfan13

We have read thru many of the recommendations here for tours of this island. Our problem is we do not swim or snorkel. Is there a tour or tour company that offers tours to see most of the island but you don't have to get wet?

Seems most of the tours include swimming some where or other.

Any help for land lubbers?

Cheers

Len

Well, it's been a few years, but we traveled as a group of 12 aged 2 years to 70+ and we simply hired a taxi driver who showed us around the sites of Dominica - No beaches involved! There is a "tourist" office right across the street from the pier and they are 'licensed' and of course they want to show you everything for the most $$. We started talking with someone "outside" the tourist office and we got a funny feeling from him so we ended up going inside where a woman introduced us to a driver. His name was Bobby Brown (not that one) and he stuffed us all in his van. I'll try to remember everything he showed us. I think we started with a scenic overlook where we could see our ship; there were some vendors there who paid him and I think my mom bought three turtle necklaces. We then went to some area where we could see a waterfall and again, roadside stands where we tried some local beer. Then the hot suffer springs which were free and we just headed up a trail and came back when we were done about 20 minutes later. Then we drove through the hills for awhile arriving at the state park around 1 when they opened. We had a snack and our kids changed into swim suits. We paid $10 pp for that park I think and we hiked through the jungle to some hot springs. Grandma and Granpa stayed a scenic overlook while grandkids literally walked through the jungle to get to the thermal pools. SOOO COOOL! Never would I have considered taking my 5, 6 and 8 year old but it was AWESOME! He waited about an hour while we did this. Then he drove us back down, past the high school through the botanical gardens and explained a few of the famous trees and a bus that was crushed in a hurricane I think. At one point he stopped for a guy who had a snake wrapped around him and for a few dollars they guy let the kids touch the snake. I think there might have been another shopping area too. He pulled some lemon grass in from the side of the road. Overall we were very happy and I think we paid about $200 plus about a $40 tip for all of us for 3 ish hours. He dropped us off in town and we walked around to the public library, a fort turned hotel and ended up a rum bar. You can see some pictures here (about half way through the photos) on my sister's blog.

http://carrieholbophotography.com/caribbean-cruise-2013/

In any case, there was plenty to do without water except wading in the thermal pools which my kids loved. I think if you're a little daring to wing it you'll be pleasantly surprised at the local taxi/tourist guides and you can always ask for Bobby.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, it's been a few years, but we traveled as a group of 12 aged 2 years to 70+ and we simply hired a taxi driver who showed us around the sites of Dominica - No beaches involved! There is a "tourist" office right across the street from the pier and they are 'licensed' and of course they want to show you everything for the most $$. We started talking with someone "outside" the tourist office and we got a funny feeling from him so we ended up going inside where a woman introduced us to a driver. His name was Bobby Brown (not that one) and he stuffed us all in his van. I'll try to remember everything he showed us. I think we started with a scenic overlook where we could see our ship; there were some vendors there who paid him and I think my mom bought three turtle necklaces. We then went to some area where we could see a waterfall and again, roadside stands where we tried some local beer. Then the hot suffer springs which were free and we just headed up a trail and came back when we were done about 20 minutes later. Then we drove through the hills for awhile arriving at the state park around 1 when they opened. We had a snack and our kids changed into swim suits. We paid $10 pp for that park I think and we hiked through the jungle to some hot springs. Grandma and Granpa stayed a scenic overlook while grandkids literally walked through the jungle to get to the thermal pools. SOOO COOOL! Never would I have considered taking my 5, 6 and 8 year old but it was AWESOME! He waited about an hour while we did this. Then he drove us back down, past the high school through the botanical gardens and explained a few of the famous trees and a bus that was crushed in a hurricane I think. At one point he stopped for a guy who had a snake wrapped around him and for a few dollars they guy let the kids touch the snake. I think there might have been another shopping area too. He pulled some lemon grass in from the side of the road. Overall we were very happy and I think we paid about $200 plus about a $40 tip for all of us for 3 ish hours. He dropped us off in town and we walked around to the public library, a fort turned hotel and ended up a rum bar. You can see some pictures here (about half way through the photos) on my sister's blog.

http://carrieholbophotography.com/caribbean-cruise-2013/

In any case, there was plenty to do without water except wading in the thermal pools which my kids loved. I think if you're a little daring to wing it you'll be pleasantly surprised at the local taxi/tourist guides and you can always ask for Bobby.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your sister is a great photographer, lots of great pics! :)

Highly recommend Bumpiing Tours. Have used them twice and both trips were fantastic. Check out their website as they have many tour options available. And even on tours where there is a "wet" stop, you don't have to dive in. Dominica is a stunningly beautiful island, so just standing around waiting for folks to finish their swim will surely be a good opportunity to enjoy your surroundings.