Corkage fee?

smilin jack

Here's the excerpt from O's website ("Onboard" tab):

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Can I purchase bottles of wine at ports of call and bring them on board?

Guests wishing to purchase wine in a port of call and bring it on board with them may do so, limited to three (3) bottles per stateroom. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship's dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle.

So I guess it is $25 even if you brought on a Rehoboam lol:eek:

I was on the Mayan Mystique's cruise in January this year and took aboard several 1.5 litre bottles of wine, some to drink in the stateroom and some to take to dinner. We were only charged $25 corkage fee even though it was effectively two standard bottles of wine and no service charge on top. As there were four of us we usually managed to finish the bottle but on the occasion we didn't it was waiting for us the next evening.

I have done the same on HAL previously but I believe they now state 750ml size bottles so presumably they have closed this loophole.

Trying to decide whether to buy a package or whether to take advantage of bringing wine on and paying the corkage and buying other drinks with OBC. Do many people drink their own wine in the restaurants? Is it looked down on? Can the wine be kept for later consumption just like wine purchased on board. My husband doesn't drink alcohol and a bottle of wine will last me three nights. Bit of a lightweight! :) Also is the corkage charged to OBC. Assume the corkage is instead of the 18% service charge.

Edited by jillmoyra

Do many people drink their own wine in the restaurants?

Yes, many do

Is it looked down on?

No, Not at all

Can the wine be kept for later consumption just like wine purchased on board.

Yes, and not just in the Restaurants. Once you have paid the corkage on a bottle, you will be free to call for it again, anywhere on the ship

Thanks to you both for replying to this and my other question. I think the answer might be to take on 2 or 3 bottle of wine for dinner consumption and then buy my other drinks with OBC. Looking forward to cruising again. Last one was December 2014. Acquaclass with Celebrity which was lovely but I think the food (and obviously the restaurant choice) with Oceania is better. It is a little quiet for us in the evenings as we are the lower end of the age range but as we get older and more decrepid that will be less of a problem. :)

Thanks to you both for replying to this and my other question. I think the answer might be to take on 2 or 3 bottle of wine for dinner consumption and then buy my other drinks with OBC. Looking forward to cruising again. Last one was December 2014. Acquaclass with Celebrity which was lovely but I think the food (and obviously the restaurant choice) with Oceania is better. It is a little quiet for us in the evenings as we are the lower end of the age range but as we get older and more decrepid that will be less of a problem. :)

With a corkage fee and several drinks a day, your going to be better off going with the $60 a day premimum package because all you need is 1 corkage and 2 drinks a day and your over the $60 There is a pretty good selection of wines by the glass and a whole slew of top shelf liquor and after dinner drinks ports and sherry, and unlike other lines you can order drinks that cost$20+ and order doubles, Hendricks, Grey Goose single malts No limit to how much you can order.....

Avoid the hassel of lugging wine around and just show the card.

With a corkage fee and several drinks a day, your going to be better off going with the $60 a day premimum package because all you need is 1 corkage and 2 drinks a day and your over the $60

I would preface that remark with Depending on what kind of wines you like to drink...I did not find any wine by the glass on board to my liking last year. I was happier bringing my own onboard and paying the corkage.

A $25-35 price range on shore becomes $50-60 on board when you pay corkage and the wines I preferred on the wine list by the bottle were more than that.

I agree with ChatKat. Premium bottles of wine aboard ship typically run 3-4 times retail, much as they do in the better restaurants. So, for the better dining experience on O ships, such as Polo, Toscano, or Jacques (if on an O ship), we typically bring an excellent bottle of wine to pair with the meal, and then gladly pay the corkage. We do still buy the premium package, and drink the selected package wines in the MDR and Terrace.

An example of the above, may be we would bring an excellent Brunello (94-95 points WS) with us to enjoy with the meal at Toscano. That wine may have cost us $80, so with corkage that's $105. A Brunello of similar quality may be $250 on the wine list. The same with Cali cabs or 2nd-3rd growth Bdx in the Polo Grill. Upon release, I paid about $75 for a bottle of 2000 Pichon Baron. What do you think a similar bottle would cost aboard? Bringing that wine along and adding $25 for corkage fee, is a wonderful option that Oceania provides! :D;)

We usually choose from the cheaper end of the wine list. But even then, add $25 and it is still a better price than the ship wine if we have found something interesting ashore. If not, we choose something from the ship list.

We have never found any difference in the wine service whether we bought from the wine list or brought in our own bottle. If we don't finish the bottle, it is saved for us until the next time we request that bottle.

A previous poster suggested that you can even take multiple bottles of wine to the dining room in advance and they will make sure the bottle you select that evening for dinner is at the proper temperature when it is served.

Mary

Can I pay for the Corkage Fee with my onboard credit?

Yes, when wondering about On-Board-Credit, the general rule to remember is "any goods or services which one purchases or uses while actually onboard the ship".

Edited by JimandStan

I'd go with the drink package---unless the bottle is a really good bottle it's not worth the fee to have it opened.

This was DH's opinion for many cruises, but recently after purchasing outstanding wines in Barcelona for under 15 euro/bottle, he agreed that we were getting the better deal by paying the $25 corkage vs purchasing from the very high priced list plus paying the 18% gratuity.

I'd go with the drink package---unless the bottle is a really good bottle it's not worth the fee to have it opened.

I think a 1982 Chateau Evangeline, ( Pomerol) with a Parker 100 score would qualify as something worth the $25...ya think..... Going to let it rest for 2 weeks on the ship before tasting..... Yes I know this goes against proper wine storage and treatment....its a chance Ill take because its a serious birthday and it aint 21! ( I know i will get flack from PINTLOVER for this)

Dan;

Tremendous wine for your birthday! Wish I was on your cruise to enjoy it with you. Just pray your luggage doesn't sit on a Tarmac somewhere and heat up to a 100+ waiting to be put on your plane!

Happy Birthday! Is that 82 a birth year wine? ;) :D