First Timers review of Oceania Alaska

teemsum

If you want to be out on deck to see the glacier the entire time, what deck is best?

The top deck forward deck 11 or on deck 10 above the pool deck is more open viewing & for photos

• 2 months later...

We were on the June 28 Alaska cruise and we got within a quarter mile of Hubbard Glacier, according to the captain. It was very foggy and drizzling earlier in the morning and we watched as one of the larger ships turned around and left the area. By the time we got there, there still was a bit of drizzle but the sky cleared, we got up close and we saw much more calving than we had ever seen in Glacier Bay. It was very exciting. The captain made a point in his announcement later that day that we had continued when the other ship captain had turned around. There passengers were probably told there was no visibility so no point in going farther.

I understand that some people miss the commentary but I really like that we could just enjoy the experience in peace. The glacier, the icebergs, the loud cracks every time it calved-it all spoke for itself.

Mary

Actually Mariner has more dining choices and is larger than Regatta. And I have done the cost analysis--for comparable cabins and adding in all the extras that we use (drinks, excursions, laundry room, Internet)--there is no cost difference or Oceania is more expensive in some cases.

I am not wanting to start a fight. We are going to be on regatta in January. I just think charging for the shuttles is a bit of nickel and diming. And that, plus the slow internet, was my major complaint with Oceania when we cruised with them previously. I have no problem with the extra charge for excursions.

I am surprised when I saw 1000 a day rates o Regent I quit looking Oh well I will keep with O as I am building up loyalty...... The Regatta takes the cake for me classy, ambiance, size, it fits me....and I standardized on O several years ago and never had a bad experience.... Never noticed charging for shuttles... hmm...

We were on the June 28 Alaska cruise and we got within a quarter mile of Hubbard Glacier, according to the captain. It was very foggy and drizzling earlier in the morning and we watched as one of the larger ships turned around and left the area. By the time we got there, there still was a bit of drizzle but the sky cleared, we got up close and we saw much more calving than we had ever seen in Glacier Bay. It was very exciting. The captain made a point in his announcement later that day that we had continued when the other ship captain had turned around. There passengers were probably told there was no visibility so no point in going farther.

I understand that some people miss the commentary but I really like that we could just enjoy the experience in peace. The glacier, the icebergs, the loud cracks every time it calved-it all spoke for itself.

Mary

we got end of august Regatta....Vancouver to SFO

within 600 yards I estimate. from piloris style bearings.which are pretty accurate for range and such..... you can do it pretty easy...

WE watched 400x300ft walls of ice pealing off.... and they did this for 2 hours !! The ship was totaly surrounded by a thick layer of fall ice and ice bergs as large as houses everywhere..... How we got out was genius...it was on a ebb tide and the capt just let us float free.... his screws would have been trashed if he used engines..... stunning seamanship... As far as Ice, I worked on glaciers, familiar with glaciers, gave talks on glaciers... and never ever, anywhere have I seen such a series of major incident.... The noise was horrific like a 747 when the first big section went....... WOW