Riviera PH Suite 10002

Animalgirl27

Hello! I just returned from the Riviera in PH3 #10002. I wanted to share a photo of the balcony obstruction from the bridge and search light. The same view is on the starboard side of the ship from #10003.

Thanks for sharing. I would be very unhappy to get that cabin if I had not been pre-warned about the obstruction. Were you advised? We have been on the Marina which I think has the same deck plan as the Riviera and have been in 10018 and there is no obstruction whatsoever. We are currently booked in 10020 on two upcoming cruises.

Thanks for sharing. I would be very unhappy to get that cabin if I had not been pre-warned about the obstruction. Were you advised? We have been on the Marina which I think has the same deck plan as the Riviera and have been in 10018 and there is no obstruction whatsoever. We are currently booked in 10020 on two upcoming cruises.

We were not advised. Oceania does not have an "obstructed balcony" cabin category. Marina also has the same issue. I think these Penthouse cabins should be discounted. However, I did some research on Cruise Critic so I knew what to expect. I did not have much of a choice after booking though. I did not realize that there were so many cameras off of the light. I felt very insecure changing in my cabin and sitting on the balcony. Additionally, the outdoor balcony reading light is turned off whenever we were sailing, so we could not sit outside and read in the evenings. No one disclosed this to us.

We were not advised. Oceania does not have an "obstructed balcony" cabin category. Marina also has the same issue. I think these Penthouse cabins should be discounted. However, I did some research on Cruise Critic so I knew what to expect. I did not have much of a choice after booking though. I did not realize that there were so many cameras off of the light. I felt very insecure changing in my cabin and sitting on the balcony. Additionally, the outdoor balcony reading light is turned off whenever we were sailing, so we could not sit outside and read in the evenings. No one disclosed this to us.

If I'm not mistaken I believe Celebrity did away with balcony lights on their newer ships. A good move in my opinion. I hate to close my curtains as we want to wake up to the view but sometimes neighbors leave their lights on all night.

Orv is correct as always, but the issue with the outside lighting in 10002 is that the outdoor lighting cannot be on after dusk on the veranda of a cabin which can throw light onto the Bridge or the ship cannot be safely navigated.

APTOPIX%20Malaysia%20Crui_admi.jpg

It's a very similar situation to why you would not turn on the interior lights of a car, while driving at night.

Orv is correct as always, but the issue with the outside lighting in 10002 is that the outdoor lighting cannot be on after dusk on the veranda of a cabin which can throw light onto the Bridge or the ship cannot be safely navigated.

It's a very similar situation to why you would not turn on the interior lights of a car, while driving at night.

The light in question is the big spotlight I would think the Captain may have it on for navigation\

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46960488&postcount=9

unlike the cabin balcony lights at the front of the ship which do impact the bridge

maybe I am dense

Edited by LHT28

The light in question is the big spotlight I would think the Captain may have it on for navigation\

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46960488&postcount=9

unlike the cabin balcony lights at the front of the ship which do impact the bridge

maybe I am dense

We were referring to her last statement.

" Additionally, the outdoor balcony reading light is turned off whenever we were sailing, so we could not sit outside and read in the evenings. No one disclosed this to us."

When I wanted to book cabin 8062 on Regatta, my invoice stated this cabin had an "obstructed view" . It was the back slope of the frame and the window washer. I was able to pick another cabin. I believe the invoice will state whether there are any issues with the view.

ORV, I respect your opinion on the balcony lights. However if we are paying extra for a balcony, we would like to use it as much as possible. We do not leave the light on at night though. The same issue can happen when you are flying on a plane. One person might want to sleep and another person has their reading light on. We only knew there would be a search light after booking the cabin, but were not aware of the issue with the light and cameras that appeared they were looking directly into the stateroom. Prior to my post, no one shared an actual view from the cabin. JimandStan, you are exactly correct in why the lights near the bridge can not be turned on. LHT28, there is no need to respond to a question directed to me and that I had already answered in an earlier post. Nvgal, there was no mention of an obstruction in any piece of literature from Oceania or in any invoices. Someone who was not a member of Cruise Critic would have been very upset since a normal person would not know.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Animalgirl27 for posting the picture at the top. We had booked 10003 for Venice-Barcelona in May and I was a bit worried about the bridge wings being so close to the balcony, but the pictures online made it difficult to tell. When we saw your picture though we changed immediately to deck 11 aft. Would especially not like having 2 CCTV cameras directly outside. I'm sure they are trained along the side of the vessel but it's impossible to tell. Anyway agree that Oceania should disclose this - they didn't to us.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Animalgirl27 for posting the picture at the top. We had booked 10003 for Venice-Barcelona in May and I was a bit worried about the bridge wings being so close to the balcony, but the pictures online made it difficult to tell. When we saw your picture though we changed immediately to deck 11 aft. Would especially not like having 2 CCTV cameras directly outside. I'm sure they are trained along the side of the vessel but it's impossible to tell. Anyway agree that Oceania should disclose this - they didn't to us.

You're welcome! Enjoy your cruise. :)