How early can we embark?

cruisegal415

On our June cruise on Riviera we are transferring to the port from Rome with three other couples, all of whom I believe are PH or levels above our B1 veranda. Apparently, they are allowed to embark earlier that we are, as my embarkation time shows 1 pm. They want to leave Rome around 9 am, and I was worried that while they may be allowed to embark earlier, we might not be allowed on board before 1 pm.

Would we be allowed on earlier? And if not, is there anything to do in the port area until then?

Maybe yes, maybe no. It can depend on how many people are sitting in Terrace for lunch at the time you get there.

When we transferred from Rome to the ship a few years ago we didn't get there until around 4pm so there was no problem in boarding. Usually PH cabins can board at 11am. I'd guess that's the case if you have a 1pm boarding time.

A long time ago we ran into a couple waiting to board (this was in Barcelona) and so I innocently told them to come along with us. We were in a suite, they weren't, but I didn't realize that. No one stopped them!

That might not happen if YOU try it, however.

On another occasion we shared a table at lunch with another couple who had been with friends who had disappeared. They were getting very concerned about where they were. It turned out that the couple we were lunching with were the last ones let on the ship at that time. The other couple showed up about an hour later. You just never know.

Good luck,

Mura

Edited by Mura

Hi

I agree with Maura,it's possible that you'll be allowed to board together,but not 'till 11. Your rooms will not be ready and lunch just about to be served.

Remember the port is an hour or more from Rome ,rush hour in the city will be bad and getting into the port area chaotic!

Why not all leave a little later ? relax you're on holiday.

Have a great cruise

regards,

Josie

We shared a car service twice from Rome to the port with two other couples. We were picked up at around 10 or 10:30 at our individual hotels and it took about an hour to the port. I recall arriving at around 11:30 or noon. We were allowed on the ship but could not go to our cabin since we were in a B class. We had lunch at the Terrace Cafe and then waited for our cabin class to be called. As Mura said, I would imagine it depends how many people converge on ship at one time whether or not they let you on.

I would enjoy Rome a little more and arrive after 3 pm... There is a great train, direct to the port You can avoid the central station mayhem....Take the Vatican station, its all but deserted and calm Taxi easy to the port.

Getting their first....what the rush, your going to be on the ship for weeks, Rome not so much..... Enjoy the experience. So you miss the boarding-feeding..... woopie.... 3 hours till Dinner.... and many more days of more food that you can imagine... Late boardings are all I do now.... way more relaxed and just have a relaxed start to your vacation....its not a contest.

I knew that Dan would say what he just said because he already said it very recently. But in fact that is what we did when we boarded in Civitavecchia. We spent the morning touring Rome, shared a cab with two other couples leaving Rome around 3pm. We might not have left as late as that if we'd had a typical 6pm departure, but in our case as I recall the ship was due to leave around 10pm.

We usually DO board in tie for lunch, but in this case I happen to agree with Dan. (Unless perhaps you have already spent a week in Rome, in which case ...)

Mura

Better yet ... get to Civitavecchia a little early and go to il baffone for lunch ... fantastic food ... I had the Carbonara there ... it was spectacular ...but My husband and I both agree ...if we get a chance we are going back for the pizza ....

wafer thin ... lovely .... everyone in the place (mostly locals) were ordering the Pizza.

just a hop skip and jump from the train station

I actually started the transfer request to others on the Roll Call a little later. Wanted to leave around 11:30 am from the hotel. The majority of the others wanted to leave much earlier, to get on board by their 11 am time. Originally figured we'd have a leisurely breakfast, maybe one last wander around and then head to the ship in time for the 1 pm embarkation time. We will have been in Rome the three days prior. But the others all wanted earlier times, so...

Now I'm debating should I bail on them and just arrange a private transfer later? Is there any advantage to getting there early and having lunch on the ship versus maybe one last meal in Rome before boarding? It's a 10 day cruise so we'll be on board for awhile.

I actually started the transfer request to others on the Roll Call a little later. Wanted to leave around 11:30 am from the hotel. The majority of the others wanted to leave much earlier, to get on board by their 11 am time. Originally figured we'd have a leisurely breakfast, maybe one last wander around and then head to the ship in time for the 1 pm embarkation time. We will have been in Rome the three days prior. But the others all wanted earlier times, so...

Now I'm debating should I bail on them and just arrange a private transfer later? Is there any advantage to getting there early and having lunch on the ship versus maybe one last meal in Rome before boarding? It's a 10 day cruise so we'll be on board for awhile.

Private transfer aren't inexpensive so you may want to join the others.

I would enjoy Rome a little more and arrive after 3 pm... There is a great train, direct to the port You can avoid the central station mayhem....Take the Vatican station, its all but deserted and calm Taxi easy to the port.

Getting their first....what the rush, your going to be on the ship for weeks, Rome not so much..... Enjoy the experience. So you miss the boarding-feeding..... woopie.... 3 hours till Dinner.... and many more days of more food that you can imagine... Late boardings are all I do now.... way more relaxed and just have a relaxed start to your vacation....its not a contest.

I guess it is each to his own, or her own. Like to board early, have a great lunch, open a bottle of wine and unpack. Take a walk around the ship, while my BW gets her spa stuff taken care of for the entire cruise and then go back, shower and have a little drink before dinner. Works either way.

Personally, as I have already indicated, I would opt to stay in Rome until early afternoon (depending on the ship's departure time) rather than being so insistent at boarding asap. The suggestions of spending time in Civitavecchia and environs are also well taken -- not that I have done so but I've read interesting posts in the past advocating various itineraries there.

Yes, *I* would make other arrangements rather than accommodating my schedule to others' desires ... especially since they can board at 11am and you might well have to wait. As has been said, it isn't cheap to do it on your own (unless you opt for the train). But you might be able to find others on the roll call who are willing to leave Rome later.

Worst case is you stay with the original fellow travelers and get there sooner than you would prefer. There are worse things.

Mura

Personally, as I have already indicated, I would opt to stay in Rome until early afternoon (depending on the ship's departure time) rather than being so insistent at boarding asap. The suggestions of spending time in Civitavecchia and environs are also well taken -- not that I have done so but I've read interesting posts in the past advocating various itineraries there.

Yes, *I* would make other arrangements rather than accommodating my schedule to others' desires ... especially since they can board at 11am and you might well have to wait. As has been said, it isn't cheap to do it on your own (unless you opt for the train). But you might be able to find others on the roll call who are willing to leave Rome later.

Worst case is you stay with the original fellow travelers and get there sooner than you would prefer. There are worse things.

Mura

3 days in Rome....is not very long..... I agree ditch your friends who dont now see the wisdom of lingering in Rome another 1/2 day. They, on arrival may change their opinion.. Or made their decision because they were not comfortable in a foreign country or language....who knows .

You spent a lot to get to Rome... so dont waste it. and any extra cost to get to the port is peanuts compared to the overall scale of things

A 9 am out of Rome will be hectic as it is their rush hour....and until you have seen Rome traffic you have no idea what bad traffic is.. Normal traffic in Rome is what we in the US call bad... and thats on a good day.!!

I still take the Train.... ist like $30.

I'd ditch your friends in a heartbeat. Wandering around Rome, and lunch in a sidewalk café in Rome, versus another buffet lunch aboard, not even a decision but a reflect. This isn't a slam on the Terrace, it's just not an apple to apple comparison. Arrive at the ship later and enjoy the day in Rome.

I'd ditch your friends in a heartbeat. Wandering around Rome, and lunch in a sidewalk café in Rome, versus another buffet lunch aboard, not even a decision but a reflect. This isn't a slam on the Terrace, it's just not an apple to apple comparison. Arrive at the ship later and enjoy the day in Rome.

+1

Although I'd suggest asking the Guide that you are using in Rome if there isn't something interesting that he could arrange on that last morning and afternoon, via the scenic inland route, since a late arrival at the ship will give you time to drive via the more scenic Via Aurelia. - you really should see Tarquinia!

mappa.jpg

In fact, with the timing being what it is, I'd probably ask that he set you up with a gorgeous luncheon, somewhere with a terrace around Vetralla.

They have some of the best Restaurants in Italy up that way, and being off the beaten path, the prices are crazy low.....absolutely unbeatable!

• 4 months later...

Can't understand why your friends won't wait and board with you at 1pm, a pretty sensible time for lunch. Apparently Civitavecchia has one or two things to see, eg the Michelangelo Fortress - not sure you can go in but you can walk round it and there are some fountains and you can look at the smart yachts in the harbour. Find a bar for a drink and the time will go quickly. But you'd need to get your friends to take most of your luggage on board for you (label it as theirs). It's a long way from Rome so a separate private transfer would be quite expensive (you could use the train or book seats on a coach transfer). If you do go separately, I would do as others suggest and spend a bit more time in Rome - there's so much to see - the HoHo bus is good.

It seems like you picked up a relatively old thread -- last March -- and so probably is irrelevant to the people to whom it was directed.

But I agree with you ...

When we boarded the ship in Civitavecchia in Oct '11, we spent the morning in Rome and had a car pick us up around 3pm. We were six people so the transfer charge wasn't bad at all. Yes, it would have been expensive if we were only two.

But it sure was convenient!

Mura

Yoy may get on the ship earily but your cabin and bags wont show up till around 3.... maybe later

Too in the port you can't go for a stroll from the ship, Since it is an industrial port you have to take a shuttle bus to and from the ship...I dont think they will even allow a taxi in !!!

So why get their early to wait and twiddle your thumbs for several hours ???

Absolutely right on, Dan. I am also a "jetty jumper", aiming to arrive when most others have already parked themselves in Waves or the terrace waiting for their cabins to be readied. However, for those who are new to cruising or just have to be first in line, I can understand their wanting to board early. It also helps to arrive in the departure port a day or so early, take a late checkout from your hotel, and enjoy the moments exploring the port until you must go to the ship.:)