tips on packaging for wine aboard

clcmdse

We are excited to begin our cruise in a couple of weeks from our hometown of Los Angeles. I want to take advantage of that and plan to bring a number of nice bottles of wine from home to enjoy at dinner and in our cabin. We have often brought wine onboard from a port, but those have been a couple of bottles at a time - never 10-12 at one time.

The question for those who have done it...What is the best way to go about doing this? In a dedicated suitcase with the bottles wrapped? Or in a crated box? Any tips on this very important issue :) is most welcome.

Catherine

We own a dedicated wine suitcase. It looks just like any other hard-sided, 26" rolling suitcase. It has specialized styrofoam compartments holding 12 bottles very safely. We've taken it to Europe, Hawaii, etc. No problem. Expensive but if you want to travel with wine a lot, worth it. A fellow CC turned me on to it. Here's the link: https://vingardevalise.com/

On the other hand, we've also purchased six bottles in port, had them boxed in a standard six-pack shipper, slapped a luggage tag on the box and dropped it at the curb along with all the other luggage - that works just as well if you don't need to travel via air to get to your embarkation point. Rereading your post, looks like you can drive to the port -- take a 12 bottle styrofoam shipper - no problem. No secrecy required.

Edited by newbie60

If an Airplane isn't going to be involved, you won't need to do anything more than to box the wine securely (even cardboard will do) and to insure that it is well labeled with the Ships NAME AND SAILING DATE, as well as your name and cabin information.

Once onboard, you'll have the option of keeping the wine in your stateroom, or having it stored in the ships' cellar until you call for it. There isn't any charge for this, and leaving it with them has the advantage that it will be delivered to you at the appropriate temperature and with the correct glassware.

Enjoy your cruise!

We recently returned from Spain and Portugal, visiting a number of vineyards. We brought Wineskins for the bottles we purchased in placed the bottles wrapped in Winsekins in plastic bags and among some of the heavier clothes in our luggage. It worked out perfectly.

Check out Wineskins on Amazon.

Edited by nyfeds

There are also Rum Runners (which I don't think I would recommend for good wines and probably not for prime booze, but they don't break) ... and Magellan (and others) sell "bottle pouches" for wine bottles. I just checked over there and I have some similar items that I have bought in the past that would hold wine or hard liquor bottles. I'm not sure if those are still available or not.

But they are reasonably priced an give good protection. Obviously, you use these for a few bottles that will fit in your luggage. https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=117,3676&T1=MC5347 or http://*******.com/hmqmuvf

(To use the latter link insert "*******" where you see asterisks.)

Note: these are inflatable. The ones I have are heavy plastic that protect the bottles from breakage but are not inflatable.

Mura

We have bought wince on trips many times and shipped it home in our regular suitcases, surrounded by laundry which no problem. Only once ever had a breakage. In probably excess of 300 bottles shipped this way. So it is doable.

The broken bottle was red BYW, and I was really worried, but had no problem getting the stain out of the clothes.

However, since you are embarking a ship by driving to the port, just bring it in a box, and it should be fine.

Thanks everyone for all the great tips. That is why I love CC. Looking forward to opening one of the bottles very soon, sitting on our balcony enjoying the sound of the water.

Catherine

We've boarded locally in LA as it's also our home town. We used a cooler on wheels to bring our wine on board as carryon luggage. We used a box inside right from the wine store. It was perfect. The cooler was our Hollywood Bowl Cooler and packed up easily for the return home.

• 1 month later...

Wow didn't know they had those. One of are first cruise's on "O" we also took many cases on the ship. We just got the foam type from BEV MOR. Shipping was a little costly but not that much---once we also took off from are city (LA) and once (MIA) that one we shipped to are hotel to hold until we arrived. Then just checked it in at the port, was taken to the suite.

Have fun.

We also have a vinguarde, it works great, especially if visiting regions where we will be buying wine and bringing it home.

However, if we are we not planning on buying wine to bring home, we tend to use a "shipper" box (with either styrofoam or cardboard inserts) - that way we don't have to hassle an empty piece of luggage on the way home.

Ymmv, depending on souvenir habits, airline status (are you paying to check an empty piece of luggage?), etc. I have to say the wheels on the vinguarde are a very nice feature vs. a shipper box, but the actual lifting/carrying involved ends up being very limited unless you are connecting at an airport where you have to claim luggage, switch terminals, and then re-check.

We have even checked or shipped regular cases of wine (not shippers) - not recommended, although we only ever lost the contents of one bottle (box must have been dropped, one bottle seemed to have taken the impact and broke - other 11 and the box were intact, if a bit stained...). We did have a box fail apparently at the JFK claims area, the bottles came up the belt one at a time, with the damaged box appearing last - but no missing bottles!

If you are going international, check customs regulations and practice - although rarely enforced in many countries, technically you may owe duty if you bring more than x volume of wine per person. Norway and Argentina we theoretically owed something but there was no one collecting...ymmv!

We are taking Insignia, Aug 28, Rome to Valetta and I was told that Oceania STRICTLY limits bringing only 3 bottles of wine on board per cabin for the entire cruise. I love good wine and like you wanted to bring lots more bottles, but was afraid to. Do any of you know that perhaps they don't adhere to this rule??

This is NOT a problem. The official rule is to cover their butts in case people become difficult.

Do a search on the site and you will see that I am not saying anything that isn't true.

However, the wine is for consumption in your cabin. If you bring it to a dining venue (or a bar), they will charge you the $25 corkage fee.

But they will NOT forbid you from bringing on more than 3 bottles of wine. I've never brought on more than that myself but I've read many posts from people who routinely bring on cases of wine.

Don't worry.

Think about it: if they wouldn't let you bring on more than 3 bottles of wine, people wouldn't be asking about wine suitcases!!

Mura

HI

We are excited for our first cruise in November, but am wondering if their very generous policy of case(s) of wine or 3 bottles of wine would include liquor. We aren't big wine drinkers but like a cocktail or 2. TIA

I like to drink wine spritzers...particularly an Aperol Spritz.

Would I be allowed to carry on a bottle of Prosecco and a bottle of Aperol and get a bottle of club soda from the bars...to keep in the room?

Is club soda included in the "soft drink" category of included drinks for Oceania?

I like to drink wine spritzers...particularly an Aperol Spritz.

Would I be allowed to carry on a bottle of Prosecco and a bottle of Aperol and get a bottle of club soda from the bars...to keep in the room?

Is club soda included in the "soft drink" category of included drinks for Oceania?

Yes you can bring onboard Prosecco and Aperol, and you can ask your room steward to fill your mini fridge with cans of club soda. We did not see any bottles of anything except sparkling water and water...only cans.