Tahiti w/Oceania - what 'sold' you with them over PG or Windstar?

dcsam

I checked the May 9 Roll Call, and it hasn't been active lately. So thought I'd try here. For those who are booked on this cruise, or who have cruised Tahiti with Oceania in the past, could you tell me what 'sold' you on Oceania? We've cruised Tahiti with Princess and Renaissance, but times and costs have certainly changed since then. I've checked into PG and Windstar. PG seems more expensive, and Windstar isn't conducive for somebody with balance/walking challenges. Thus the reason Oceania is looking mighty good. Thank you.

Caroline

'

Frankly, wouldn't consider Windstar as my DH is prone to motion sickness. Would sail PG again in a heartbeat. Our only O experience was super(Marina, Auckland to Papeete).

Drivers:

1. Itinerary
  2. Price
  3. Who I am cruising with

We are scheduled on Sirena this coming Feb. 12 days, seven islands, great itinerary! Group includes avid snorkelers and several non-drinkers. While I like the all inclusive of PG, I would not ask friends and family who do not drink to pay a premium for PG.

I suspect DH and I will sail PG again; but, for this group and time the Sirena seemed to offer the best value for all.

Greg

If money is no object, then PG for sure. Beautiful ship designed for sailing in FP, amazing cuisine, wonderful wonderful staff experienced in all things Polynesian and small pax load.

Glad O is using Sirena for FP. Marina had too many passengers which challenged FP's infrastructure. Not a good match in our opinion.

We have not done the cruise on Sirena yet but we chose the FP itinerary because it was longer, fit into our desired time frame, we wanted to try the well reputed food and also have a few more options on board during sea days and evenings. We have done Windstar and while we love it, there is not much to do during sea days and we will definitely not need more time in the sun.

Port call at Easter Island (2 days) clinched it for us. However, I think O has decided to not go there anymore - too much chance of not being able to tender people in due to limited infrastructure and iffy sea conditions. Also loved leaving from Valparaiso. We didn't get to see much of it, but I loved what I did see and wouldn't mind going back.

Agree with sammie that it's too far to go for a 7 day cruise on PG unless they have a back to back that does a different itinerary.

• 3 weeks later...

We did FP on the Marina in 2014 for 14 days. It was our first time with Oceania and we loved it. However, most of the ports are tender stops and the seas can be pretty rough. One lady fell getting off the tender and hurt her leg pretty bad, so if you have walking/balance issues, be sure the seas are calm before you get off the ship.

I have been to and from Tahiti 4times.. On Royal Viking, Regent, and Oceania Marina and doing it a 5th time on Sirena. I looked at Paul Gaugin and the stops /ports were all pretty much in Tahiti.. the ship had small cabins, and very limited options on her. Windstar I just a Paul Gauguin with sails... again not much options or facilities on the ship.

I choose O because of my past sailing experience and the pleasure of the ambiance, the cuisine, and the quality of the fellow passengers who really seem to be a well mannered and wonderful bunch. I guess O draws like folks together and they are just a pleasure to be around. Too the O ships offer superior cabins and ship design, whether a R class or the Larger Marina class.

Finally, after cruising for many a year, Oceania was the perfect fit for me . We decided that it was so comfortable and fit our person al taste so well that it would be folly to sail another line. as nothing we have ever sailed on even comes close to O's overall performance in our eyes.

So...if it is not an Oceania ship....we ain't going....you cant better a winning hand...so why try

I have been to and from Tahiti 4times.. ...

Finally, after cruising for many a year, Oceania was the perfect fit for me ...

Dan illustrates that there is no right answer to this, except that French Polynesia is one of the most wonderful places in the world.

Dan and I have disagreed about Oceania in the past, but neither of us is "right". Oceania is right for him. I have a friend whose opinion I value who did Oceania to French Polynesia and adored it. For me, I'm not a fan of Oceania, but haven't been to FP with them.

For me, of those I've been on the Paul Gauguin is by far my favourite ship on the seas. We've been on her for a total of about 50 days and are booked for yet another bite at that apple.

Perhaps the only solution is to try Oceania, Regent, the Paul Gauguin, and anything else that is available and then decide. Personally I would consider a cruise on a tug boat if it were in Tahiti.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

I looked at Paul Gaugin and the stops /ports were all pretty much in Tahiti.. the ship had small cabins, and very limited options on her.

You cannot capture French Polynesia on an Oceania ship but when you are on the pg you are IN French Polynesia

Don't dismiss the PG so quickly. Bitob is correct, and you cannot fully appreciate the PG unless you have sailed on her. Only then will you realize why she is the best ship for French Polynesia.

And thats just getting there

Having done the trip more than once the series of flight one has to take are an ordeal not to mention the schedules. I have found that the most enjoyable and stress free cruise with Tahiti on its schedule is one in which your

1 sail from California or New Zealand to Tahiti and then fly home

2 a round trip from either California or New Zealand and fly home

3. Flying to Tahiti cruising around and continuing on to Peru or California

All the cruise that require flying into and out of Tahiti for a 7 to 10day visit are tedious and exhausting because of the double flights. A 7 or 10 day visit is not a wise or relaxing choice when one considers the double flights needed in such a short period This is why I prefer O because of its longer cruise options over other lines...

The best option is to have Tahiti included in a trans-pacific cruise New Zealand to California with Tahiti in the middle.

Don't dismiss the PG so quickly. Bitob is correct, and you cannot fully appreciate the PG unless you have sailed on her. Only then will you realize why she is the best ship for French Polynesia.

I disagree and we have sailed on PG.

The ship itself is WELL past her prime, and I find their particular brand of "Polynesia on demand" to be culturally insensitive to say the least.

The ship itself is WELL past her prime, and I find their particular brand of "Polynesia on demand" to be culturally insensitive to say the least.

How long ago did you sail on PG? That could be a very important factor ;-)

Windstar, PG and Marina. The last time we did Marina as it was longer and I wanted to see all of the South Pacific. However, PG does a lot more ports than the 7 or 10 days once a year. You must check on it. I know she goes to Fiji. I agree that 7 days is too little for the trip. However, PG does 10 days as well and then as I said Fiji at least once a year. Windstar was very romantic, but PG has it all for me. I know the ship is getting older, but they have their own Motu which we loved and true Polynesian food that I love. I didn't think Marina had too many people, but it was not South Pacific enough for me. I know Portofinoitaly went in October and I agree that must be THE BEST time. We have been in December, March, April and June. Some months are way too rainy...December, January and February and some of March. Do PG in my opinion. Can not be beat.

I'm certainly not going to say you're wrong about not liking the PG: different strokes and all that. But I am totally mystified by when you write that they are culturally insensitive. The company is committed to the environment, and puts its money where its mouth is. They have programs on Polynesian culture and history for local teenagers, including taking them on company-sponsored digs at archaeological sites. For passengers, there are usually on-board sessions on the local culture and history. The owners of the company live in Papete, not Miami.

This is a real authentic experience.

Yes, loved the Motu and barbecue. Also, PG offers excellent excursions and I do not swim with the sharks. Therefore, due to their longtime presence in FP, they offer lovely beach days at the different resorts only accessible by boat. They also have water sports activities such as SUP boards (I used these) and if you dive, a fabulous program and excursions.

The experience is truly fabulous and memorable.

Interesting discussion. :)

I love Oceania and the Paul Gauguin. Our first trip to FP was meant to be in January 2013 but we had to cancel when I was diagnosed with cancer. FP had been my lifelong dream destination and I thought I would not get the opportunity to see it. After I had recovered from treatment, we had the opportunity to get a glimpse by taking a Transpacific from Hawaii to Australia via Tahiti and Bora Bora. That glimpse was enough to make us want to do a return visit, which we did on the PG last year. We were lucky enough to get an interline rate for the PG cruise so that was the influence for us to book. Unfortunately we haven't seen any competitive interline rates for Oceania and although we don't always book interline rates, the difference in pricing just seems too much. We have always loved the Oceania experience though and were wondering how the PG would compare but we loved it. We didn't find the ship looking worn at all. The food was good although for us, Oceania is probably better. The staff on both ships are amazing! We are booked to go on the PG again in two weeks and we cannot wait! I would happily cruise on either line to FP or in fact, anywhere else! :D

We've done the Regatta Miami to Peru and it was great. We've done the Paul Gauguin 4 times and it is spectacular. IMHO the food is great on both, the staff is great on both but the PG has more of a Polynesian feel. Not sure of the poster who identified cabin size as the PG smallest cabin is 205 square feet. On Oceania you have to go up to a decent level cabin to get that space.

I love the idea of flying to Tahiti to start the cruise vs. many sea days from California to get there. A stop at Easter Island on Oceania would be a spectacular opportunity. We have done the 10 day PG cruise twice, the 11 night cruise once and the 18 night cruise once. With all of these we combine a land stop for 4-5 nights, usually on Moorea. IMHO this is ideal vs sea days.

Some of the ports that both visit can get really, really crowded with a ship that has 600-800 people. In this region smaller really is better. If you are on a larger ship I would make sure to book excursions ASAP.

You can't go wrong with either choice so the best choice is to try both

I know that everyone is allowed their for their tastes and likes but I vote for the PG. We have sailed 2x on an Oceania ship and found their food to be one of the best on the seas.

However, the PG is our still choice for the South pacific (9 cruises so far with one more in 2017). The crew is outstanding and friendly. The PG guests in general are friendly and without pretensions.

We think that the PG does an outstanding of educating its guests about South Pacific cultures. We always make an attempt to attend every lecture even ones we have heard before.

As they say, different strokes for different people.

I'm certainly not going to say you're wrong about not liking the PG: different strokes and all that. But I am totally mystified by when you write that they are culturally insensitive. The company is committed to the environment, and puts its money where its mouth is. They have programs on Polynesian culture and history for local teenagers, including taking them on company-sponsored digs at archaeological sites. For passengers, there are usually on-board sessions on the local culture and history. The owners of the company live in Papete, not Miami.

It is interesting that you (and PG Cruises) tout their concern for the environment as the major reason that I (a confirmed vintage ship lover) find the Paul Gauguin to be past her prime is the nauseating diesel fumes and soot on the balcony which drove our mothers, perpetually clad in tropical white, to virtually abandon their Deck 7 cabin (767).

To be fair, we were forward on Deck 8 and all was pristine up there.

The cultural insensitivity which I refer to has to do with the Gauguinettes whose "act" is charming on the face of it, but is replete with stereotypes which made me squirm.

American River Cruises would never dare to present Native Americans in a similar light.

This is a real authentic experience.

Tahiti is running head to head with Hawaii at to who can be the most commercial... Bora Bora is a total tourist trap with anything for a buck or excuse me a SPF. if you want Authentic go to the Cooks Marquesas, Vanuatu or Solomon's .... Fiji is fast becoming the New Zealand Hawaii.

Tahiti is very nice and very stunning but it panders shamelessly to visitors seeking "paradise lost"...hardly "authentic" unless you buy into the travel adverts..

Sadly Hawaii is the same ... which is now morphing into the southern california annex....Huntington /Newport Beach with pineapples