Cashback on Oceania?

mafig

I've been looking at a cruise on Oceania..First time on this line.

I asked a few questions before and you all advised me to shop around and perhaps find a TA with a group. No luck so far, but I'm not done yet.:p

However, in going on the comparison site, I've received several quotes that are about the same as Oceania offers itself. I guess these TAs think I'm stupid.

There is one, however, that offers the Oceania perks, plus some OBC and then an amount of "cash back." What is this? I'm guessing it means they will send a check to us after the cruise is over? Is this right? I've never run across this before, it it normal with Oceania?

most cruise lines cannot advertise lower rates than the cruise line does

You can always ask the TA if that is the best rate they can offer

AFAIK

the cash back comes from the TA not Oceania ...I could be wrong

I asked a few questions before and you all advised me to shop around and perhaps find a TA with a group. No luck so far, but I'm not done yet.:p

However, in going on the comparison site, I've received several quotes that are about the same as Oceania offers itself. I guess these TAs think I'm stupid.

There is one, however, that offers the Oceania perks, plus some OBC and then an amount of "cash back." What is this? I'm guessing it means they will send a check to us after the cruise is over? Is this right? I've never run across this before, it it normal with Oceania?

You're kinda of getting in the first rule of Fight Club area, but that doesn't stop some others from telling you all about it.

OBC from O is non-refundable. OBC from a TA (that is not a "pass through" O incentive for sales or group deals) could be refundable OR it could be replaced by a refund siphoned from commissions OR it could be a combo of both refundable OBC and a refund.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

On our June/July cruise on Nautica we had $500 in refundable OBC (on top of about $1200 non-refundable). We received the $500 refundable in cash on board at the end of the cruise by going to Reception.

Mura

This is not unusual and is completely acceptable to Oceania. Our TA sends us a check for a percentage of our cruise approximately 2 weeks prior to embarkation. Sometimes there is also OBC's but not always. The OBC's that we receive are not refundable and is totally separate from the "cash back" that we receive.

Hope this helps!

Yep, some TA's offer a rebate in the form of a check. Our TA sends it in the form of a check with the final documents.

Oceania offered us a $700 rebate (upon completion of our cruise) and $200 OBC - in addition to OLife Choice.

There are many agents who will in appreciation for your business send you a thank you check after your cruise.. They dont advertise this and they also offer group cruises, extra OBC's in addition to rebate or cash back check Generaly you can expect 8 to 10% of the cruise net cost back as a rebate from the agent. O has nothing to do with this....its just a business deal between you and the agent. You pay the list price to O and then the agent refunds you part of his profit. These are not shady back room deals...they are done by some of O's top agents, These agencies are called Connoisseur Club members by O... a search on the internet will get you a lot of names... because we can not on this forum

There are many agents who will in appreciation for your business send you a thank you check after your cruise.. They dont advertise this and they also offer group cruises, extra OBC's in addition to rebate or cash back check Generaly you can expect 8 to 10% of the cruise net cost back as a rebate from the agent. O has nothing to do with this....its just a business deal between you and the agent. You pay the list price to O and then the agent refunds you part of his profit. These are not shady back room deals...they are done by some of O's top agents, These agencies are called Connoisseur Club members by O... a search on the internet will get you a lot of names... because we can not on this forum

Everything you wrote is true except my TA sends the rebate check with the final cruise documents, not after the cruise.

Of the quotes I received from the bidding site, the best one was ..... a member of the Connoisseur Club.

You know, I would not have thought of that. Somehow I would think that travel agencies that belonged to the "Connoisseur Club" would not offer good deals. I would think they would say "we don't discount, we provide excellent service and don't have to" etc.... I was wrong.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.:D

Yes, details please.

Curious

Did you book direct with Oceania to get the rebate ??

I booked with my TA, but he couldn't offer up anything because we were already getting a discount on the booking. A month later he came back and told us if we pay in full within a week, Oceania was offering up the additional OBC and rebate.

We have received cash back from our TA, but it's always before the cruise, not after. This deal was from Oceania, not our TA. I'm thinking the cruise wasn't selling very well, they also offered up cabin upgrades for not much money.

I booked with my TA, but he couldn't offer up anything because we were already getting a discount on the booking. A month later he came back and told us if we pay in full within a week, Oceania was offering up the additional OBC and rebate.

Interesting

you did not have to move off or change cabins to get this deal ?

Interesting

you did not have to move off or change cabins to get this deal ?

Nope, we didn't move off or change cabins. My DH thought maybe they wanted a certain number of bookings to be paid in full before the end of the year. Could have something to do with their end of the year finances or taxes? No doubt, it somehow benefited them, but it was an offer we didn't pass up.

Nope, we didn't move off or change cabins. My DH thought maybe they wanted a certain number of bookings to be paid in full before the end of the year. Could have something to do with their end of the year finances or taxes? No doubt, it somehow benefited them, but it was an offer we didn't pass up.

Thanks for the info

Cannot imagine Oceania having such a cash flow situation to ask passengers to pay early sounds more like Viking

Must be the "new Oceania" :(

Of the quotes I received from the bidding site, the best one was ..... a member of the Connoisseur Club.

You know, I would not have thought of that. Somehow I would think that travel agencies that belonged to the "Connoisseur Club" would not offer good deals. I would think they would say "we don't discount, we provide excellent service and don't have to" etc.... I was wrong.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.:D

Many of the connoisseur member agencies , because of the volume they do with O get special deals and incentives because of the volume. It may be a larger commission % or some such related pay back . These agencies/agents are the life blood of the cruise line and in essence a free sales force that only gets paid when they make a sale... This is why O will never try to out do or discount to a direct booking... because it shoots the agency in the foot... Yet some continue to think that going direct to O will somehow cut out the middleman and they can save... But they dont understand the business model. Too some smaller agencies will book you by going through another agency to piggy-back on a top agents sales totals... Helps both of them

To me I dont care when a rebate or such is paid...cash is cash now or later.

You are now empowered..... I would also suggest you stick with the agent you just discovered and build a long term relation... you may after showing this loyalty get even sweeter deals from him....

If u take the "rebate" as a refundable obc you cAn walk off the ship with the cash. Better than waiting for a check

I pay early situation sounds fishy to me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We don't have to wait for a check. It comes in the same package with the final cruise documents.