American food item hard to find

lssg

Australia has very strict regulations and penalties for food bought into the country illegally. On your yellow cuustoms entry form you MUST declare if you are bringing any food items at ALL into Australia. Border Force will then decide if the food items you have are allowed entry or not . Most important declare IF you are bringing in food items and see what happens. A false declation on the form incurrs draconian penalties and could see you behind bars for an Aussie holiday with a difference at Her Majestys pleasure.

Australia has very strict regulations and penalties for food bought into the country illegally. On your yellow cuustoms entry form you MUST declare if you are bringing any food items at ALL into Australia. Border Force will then decide if the food items you have are allowed entry or not . Most important declare IF you are bringing in food items and see what happens. A false declation on the form incurrs draconian penalties and could see you behind bars for an Aussie holiday with a difference at Her Majestys pleasure.

Ditto New Zealand:)

Having been warned.

Most processed packaged foods, sealed in their original packaging will be fine, just declare it.

I presume you mean for American friends living Down Under, if so ak them what they're missing.

If you mean to give Aussies and Kiwis as guests I'd say don't bother.

You do have to declare any food that you are bringing into Australia -- BUT , having declared it, they "MAY" allow you to bring it in. Mostly the Authorities are looking for things (perhaps like meat , fruit, dairy) that can cause problems to Australian agriculture.

So - if you were to bring in (say) an unopened bottle of mustard , or packets of processed food, chocolate, etc -- you may get them into this country . Trouble is you don't know what they will allow until you are here !! :)

Lots of our supermarkets now have areas deducated to overseas items such as american, british or Asian.

Plus we also have quite a few international lolly shops that only sell overseas lollies.

Ans costco are also in a few cities too.

That being said, if you wanted to bring a gift for an australian here, maybe reeses cups, poptarts (bleh but some kids like them)

These if bought and declared will be Ok.

Just be extra careful of raw foods and fruit.

Lots of our supermarkets now have areas deducated to overseas items such as american, british or Asian.

Plus we also have quite a few international lolly shops that only sell overseas lollies.

Ans costco are also in a few cities too.

That being said, if you wanted to bring a gift for an australian here, maybe reeses cups, poptarts (bleh but some kids like them)

These if bought and declared will be Ok.

Just be extra careful of raw foods and fruit.

But you can buy Reece's cups and pop tarts here.

I know my Boss's kids like Peanut Butter M&M's which to my knowledge are not readily available in Australia, only from the speciality candy stores in small bags at a BIG cost. So maybe some of the more speciality candies, that while available in Australia (like Reece's Cups) are very expensive and a treat only. You can bring in a big bag :D

Having been warned.

Most processed packaged foods, sealed in their original packaging will be fine, just declare it.

I presume you mean for American friends living Down Under, if so ak them what they're missing.

If you mean to give Aussies and Kiwis as guests I'd say don't bother.

Oh my goodness one would think this person knows such but the good advice about packed foods apply :)

But you can buy Reece's cups and pop tarts here.

I know you can. Even my local supermarket has them.

It was just a suggestion for her if she felt she had to bring some goodies.

Our family members always bring us basset licorich from the UK even though they know we can buy it here.

My favourite candies are salty water taffy and my favourite cookies are Nutter Butters. I always buy them when I go to the US. I eat the taffy but I have brought back the cookies no problems. I also like Jack Daniels Hickory Brown Sugar BBQ sauce.

In the end it is a matter of personal taste.

My favourite candies are salty water taffy and my favourite cookies are Nutter Butters. I always buy them when I go to the US. I eat the taffy but I have brought back the cookies no problems. I also like Jack Daniels Hickory Brown Sugar BBQ sauce.

In the end it is a matter of personal taste.

You can get the JD in some stores here.

Reaaaalllly goooood Buffalo wings.... and the fake liquid cheese you can get on everything.... velveta cheese for mac and cheese..... Hmmmm.... Yummy New York Pizza..... I know you can't bring any of that.... but I just thought I would add what I loved about US food.... :p

Here's hoping that Radiance of the Seas has US style pizza!!!!!!!!! :D

Reaaaalllly goooood Buffalo wings.... and the fake liquid cheese you can get on everything.... velveta cheese for mac and cheese..... Hmmmm.... Yummy New York Pizza..... I know you can't bring any of that.... but I just thought I would add what I loved about US food.... :p

And the ridiculous size portions too? My daughter said that she would have enough for more than one meal from them

No wonder obesity runs riot in the USA :rolleyes:

Edited by bubbles2014

Just got back today from Alaska and brought with me a few tins of Altoids mints that you cant get here. I like the tins they come in.

Have to like the BBQ they do over there.

BTW if anyone is going to Denali take in the Cabin Nite dinner. BBQ pork Ribs, mashed potato, corn etc and triple berry cobbler with whipped cream to finish off. Great entertainment too.

I just thought that you might want to consider if a product might have issues with temperature also? Say chocolate that may go from very cold in the plane's hold to very hot if on the tarmac? We got temperature effected chocolates as a present last year and it was such a pity. They just taste like crap if that happens.

If there is one thing we seem to be doing more of in Australia, it is importing food from everywhere. We seem to have a big variety available.

Sorry but pizza on Royal ships aren't worth the bother! Think frozen pizza heated up! :(