Fall Cruise

WetToes

I plan on booking a New England cruise for the Fall of 2016. The ship will leave from Baltimore. 9 days.

I'm looking at 3 dates. 9/15, 9/29, and 10/13.

Any thoughts on the best date for checking out the foliage?

I'm leaning towards the 29th.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this around these times.

I realize each year, change and weather can vary.

I'm also interested in clothing. How cold did it get for you? Thanks!

Edited by WetToes

We did one on Sept 22 last year from Boston- the only color changes we really saw was in Arcadia National Park.

Sept 29 may have a better chance, but I'd lean more to the later one than that.

Weather was pretty warm for us- 70's during the days. But we know they can change a lot this time of year.

No way to know year to year, the best time. You can check out sites, NOAA (National Weather Service) trying to pinpoint a date, but a guess at best. It depends on many factors, how dry the weather, how warm of a summer, cool Fall days, first near frost temps, etc.! I would go for the October dates rather than in September, but not too late in October!

As far as clothes go, layers are best because it can be very nice, or damp and chilly. I live in the Upper Midwest so what I think is nice would be cool to some. I would never bring a heavy winter jacket like some people do, not necessary and layers work fine.

My sister and I did the New England cruise (from Boston) a few years ago and the weather in Portland and Bar Harbor was fantastic...sunny and very warm. However, once we got to Canada the weather was chilly and rainy. So the previous discussions about the weather were spot on...you never can tell! We will be doing the same cruise, except from Baltimore, in October and are hoping for great weather.

I really can't say what the foliage was like then because I never even noticed. Our other sister lives in Portland so she met us at the ship and we spent the day with her, then she drove on to Bar Harbor and met the ship again the next day. We were too busy having a fun time with her to notice the fall leaves!

Most foliage will occur in October, unless you go far up in Maine, where you may see some in Sepember. Usually, our peak time is around the 2nd week of October, but weather does change things. As far as clothing and temperature, it can still be warmish during the day (mid 60s, low 70s) and cool at night (50s, sometimes cooler). It probably won't be lounging at the pool weather, but it will be nice enough to stroll around the ports without being too uncomfortable. Hardy New Englanders still wear shorts in September/October, maybe long sleeve shirts/sweaters at night. Hope this helps - enjoy!

Foliage probably won't peak around here until the 2nd week of October. You may have some chance of seeing some further north, but not a lot. Weather will be mid 60s, low 70s during day and 50s at night, maybe cooler. Hardy New Englanders wear shorts in September/October, maybe long sleeves/sweaters at night. Every year is different so you never know. It is beautiful up here - fall is my favorite season. Have a great cruise.