Dolphin Discovery

blackwing

We are on the Norwegian Escape at the end of the month. The dolphin swims offered by the cruiseline are more of the "stand in water and pet" variety. My daughter (will be 7 at sailing) wants to actually swim with them.

So I see this Dolphin Discovery has the Royal Swim which includes a foot push and hanging onto a fin and getting pulled. She would absolutely love this.

I have some questions, for people who have been there:

1) It appears that spectators can sit in the stands and take pictures. What about someone actually participating? We will be three adults and two kids. Can one of the adults in the water use a waterproof camera?

2) On the "pricing" on their webpage it says that kids have to be 8 but in their FAQ it says 6. I would hate to book and have my 7 year old daughter turned away, as we are doing this mostly for her.

3) I'm assuming we can easily get a cab from the pier?

4) We are in port from 7 to 1, so I was going to book the 10 AM, I hope that isn't cutting things too close?

Many thanks for any responses.

• 1 month later...
I'm hoping you get an answer regarding the ages too. We have our 7 year old nephew going and were looking at this excursion.

We are booked for Dolphin Discovery (on our own) next week. We saved over half by booking it directly with the tour operator. Our kids are 6 & 9 and we opted for the encounter. Our 6 year old was not tall enough to do the full swim and we all wanted to do the same thing, so we went with encounter. It appears as if they go by height for everyone except the 6 and under crowd. I don't know, we went the safe route b/c like you, I don't want to book (and pay) for something my son won't be able to do.

We are in port from 7-2 and on our online form, we had to select if we were coming by cruise ship and which one and then b/c of the ages of our party, we were automatically given the 11am slot. I think we should have plenty of time. I hope! lol

It is my understanding that yes, spectators can take pictures but those in the water cannot. I always have my camera, but am not planning on using it during the encounter.

We are super excited about it! I can post a review when we get back if you want.

Edited by scrappinannie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...