Progreso's Dzibilchaltun Ruins

5 in OK

I have a question.....we have purchased the Dzibilchaltun Ruins tour for our stop in Progreso on the Carnival Triumph.

We read that you cannot take your backpack into the ruins and you have to check it upon entry.

Here's my question....can we keep a fanny pack for our bottles of water (ours is large enough to hold a couple of bottles of water) or will they let us keep it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Has anyone ever taken a taxi from port and gone to Dzibilchaltun just swim in cenote? Curious about cost of taxi ride. Thanks in advance.

You will have to pay an entrance fee to get into the ruins which has always been part of the price we paid for the tour. It would be quite a long taxi ride as well. I know there are other denotes in the area but not sure if they are closer.

It's odd they wouldn't allow any backpacks. If this is true now, I will scratch this excursion off my list. I'm not leaving a backpack with expensive cameras and other stuff in it on the bus. Plus I carry water and other stuff in it. These places get hot.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question.....we have purchased the Dzibilchaltun Ruins tour for our stop in Progreso on the Carnival Triumph.

We read that you cannot take your backpack into the ruins and you have to check it upon entry.

Here's my question....can we keep a fanny pack for our bottles of water (ours is large enough to hold a couple of bottles of water) or will they let us keep it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I had no idea... we were planning on coming back for our cruise next month and we brought a small bag with a change of clothes so we could swim in the cenote. It was very hot and the cenote was refreshing and wonderful. The kids are thrilled to be going back. They will have no problem with you bringing in water. Do the guided tour, even the short one (we chose the short one), it's full of information!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A free the guided ruins portion they give you time to do what you want. You can walk back to the entrance restrooms and change. To have more time swimming we wore our bathing suits under shorts and a t shirt then afterwards changed into dry clothes on the way out.

• 1 month later...

Yes - there were many backpacks allowed through. We took a small drawstring type with no problem. There were two guides on our Carnival excursion - they were both great but one moved a little faster so we jumped into his group. The Cenote was the last part of the tour. We are going back next month - taking my husband this time. The Cenote was just amazing. Really enjoyed this excursion.

• 2 months later...

We have decided to go to Dzibilchaltun ruins while at Progreso, instead of taking the very long ride to Uxmal. So, I've been scouring all the pics I can find. Now, I'm scared! That walk back to the main temple looks like at least 1/2 mile.

For those that have difficulty walking, how hard a time did you have walking in this area? And getting back to the temple? I'm speaking as someone with severe arthritis and daily pain meds for it.

Also, are the large lizards/iguanas common at these ruins? I've not seen any photos of them there.

One more question for anyone who has been to these ruins this year----what is the current entry fee and cost of a personal guide (supposedly at the site) in US dollars.

Thanks for your help! :)

Edited by Tennessee Rose
mispelled word

• 2 weeks later...