Which Galapagos Itinerary?

NanciEA

After having read through the two Galapagos Itineraries, I'm still not sure which one to book. Western or North Central? Can someone tell me the main differences between the two?

Was on one a few years ago when Silversea first took over the ship. Ran into a couple of guests that stayed on for both voyages. They say and others that one sees more land mammals and the other see more sea mammals. I was on the more land mammals voyage and forget what they called it?

If you can do both.Each island is different.Interesting to see the difference in animals and birds between islands-that is what they are famous for.

As well Ecuador regularly closes some islands to tourists and opens up others so people may do the same "itinerary" yet have quite different experiences.

Adding on to the OP - what months are the best to go to either island?

My husband and I were on the Silver Galapagos North/Central expedition in early April. It was a fantastic time to be there. All of the birds were courting, mating, brooding, hatching, etc.; there were young mammals (Sea lions) nursing; and the albatross were just returning to their lifetime mates from being apart for 3 months, so they were all doing their rituals. I can't even begin to describe all the activity. Fabulous! However, about 50+ of us who were on the expedition were also in the 7.8 earthquake in Guayaquil at the end of the cruise. We all saw mother nature at her best and at her worst.

I asked the same question when we were on the cruise in April 2015. One itinerary is more birds, and there is the chance you will see penguins. The other itinerary is more volcanic, less birds, no real opportunity to see penguins.

We were on the itinerary with more birds, late April. A great time of year as mentioned in a previous post. The waved albatross had just returned so we were very lucky to see them.

FYI--not many mammals in the Galapagos. Rats, bats, sea lions and fur seals!

So which one is the more birds and penguins and which one is the other one? Silverseas labels them North Central and Western.

We were on the North Central itinerary and saw A LOT of birds. One day we saw a Male Vermilion Flycatcher which is very rare and almost extinct. Our conservationist was over the moon. We did seem some penguins (not many), but then from what I understand there aren't a whole lot there - not like in South America. I'm not a "birder", but it was amazing. Having said all this about the birds - we also saw bunches of sea lions, land & marine iguanas, sharks (all kinds), two kinds of tortoise, and many kinds of tropical fish. I would be tempted one day to go on the other itinerary - just to compare, but I don't want end up being disappointed.

We did both itineraries, back to back in November a couple of years ago. The Western Itinerary is where you can see penguins (tiny ones swimming past in the sea if you are lucky) and the landscapes are more dramatic as the islands are relatively newer. The North Central itinerary is more varied and you will see waved albatrosses if you are there between April and December.

Drron is absolutely right, both itineraries are terrific and the Silversea local guides make the most of wherever you are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 57 varieties