Mariner of the Seas From Singapore 10/22/15- Complete Picture Review!

gapearl

Kim what a fantastic review :)

I have a good friend who lives in Singapore and been toying with visiting for a number of years now. I was thinking of combining with a Mariner cruise around the region and found your review whilst researching on CC.

I have never enjoyed a review so much, absolutely fantastic. You are a real trailblazer for the region, a term someone else has used in a previous post but so perfectly appropriate.

I know we will enjoy it and we are booked ourselves now for February 2018!

All the very best on your continuing adventures and thanks again for the time and effort you clearly put into this review.

Kim what a fantastic review :)

I have a good friend who lives in Singapore and been toying with visiting for a number of years now. I was thinking of combining with a Mariner cruise around the region and found your review whilst researching on CC.

I have never enjoyed a review so much, absolutely fantastic. You are a real trailblazer for the region, a term someone else has used in a previous post but so perfectly appropriate.

I know we will enjoy it and we are booked ourselves now for February 2018!

All the very best on your continuing adventures and thanks again for the time and effort you clearly put into this review.

Thanks Tin Can, you're so kind! It's wonderful that you will be able to combine visiting your friend with a cruise. Any chance he/she might come along and sail with you? You have plenty of time to plan and make your trip special, and I'm happy you enjoyed my review and took something helpful away from it. Thanks for reading and all the kind words! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting review.

I have read every post and loved it.

I did a cruise in January 2016 on the Celebrity Millennium, i.e. Singapore, Penang, Langkawi and Pukhet. Somehow your cruise seemed better :).

Thanks and looking forward for your next trip review.

Very interesting review.

I have read every post and loved it.

I did a cruise in January 2016 on the Celebrity Millennium, i.e. Singapore, Penang, Langkawi and Pukhet. Somehow your cruise seemed better :).

Thanks and looking forward for your next trip review.

Hi, welcome to CC! :)

Thanks for taking the time to read my review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was certainly a fun trip but I'm sure you had a good time on yours as well lol. I originally looked at booking this on Princess but decided on Royal in the end. :)

Kim,

I enjoyed your review of your cruise! About Penang, what else is there to do besides the beach and the town? Did you enjoy your stop here?

Thank you so much!

Hello! There are some temples and mosques to see, but they are not within walking distance. I found some before I went that I wanted to visit, but I didn't realize they were across town. You can arrange a tour to them with a taxi driver for cheap, just make sure you use one of the official red taxis. There are some food tours where you stop at several food carts and restaurants to try some popular local food. You can find these tours on Trip Advisor, but can also book through the ship. Also google the Penang Snake Temple. :eek:

Thanks so much for reading!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this post!!!! You have inspired me! I wanted to book this itinerary - traveling alone - but I wasn't sure. Now I see that it's beautiful and exciting and totally fine for a woman traveling alone! I'm so excited! I'm going in January and it's all thanks to you!

I love your pictures and stories! How do stay looking so fresh and pretty on such a long trip?!? Hero!

I spent some time reading reviews on some of the different drivers, and decided to go with someone who was recommended a lot named Zaidee. He was waiting for me with my name on a sign right at 8:30 am when I debarked.

We have just booked this itinerary and my search brought up your review and thanks to you I am even more excited about this trip :)

Thanks for all the effort you put in and I would love the contact details of the drivers you booked if you are still happy to pass them on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It took about an hour and 15 minutes to reach our first stop at the Batu Caves. At the entrance you have a large gold statue of the Hindu Lord Murugan. The cliffs surrounding the caves are all limestone. When the Thaipusam Festival is held in January or February, about one million visitors will come to the caves. A Google search showed me that it's happening next year on January 23, so those of you on the January 22 sailing that might have been planning to visit the caves might want to remember this. I think the festival would be pretty spectacular to see, but just think about the traffic and the limited time you will have.

We have arrived at the Batu Caves.

73c8738d-79c3-4c79-b4ed-e8b8e4645c2d_zps4ynp1af6.jpg

3242564a-d00c-4815-9cae-310d90a3a08a_zps4an37jyp.jpg

751b0892-270e-4349-8b79-63a859d04836_zpsqakfzqh5.jpg

fbfefacb-45e5-4b8e-947c-dfae142ca59f_zps8x7ktt6q.jpg

That's a long way up. Ladies, you must have on long pants or you will be required to rent a wrap. They have them available at the bottom of the stairs. The cost is RM5 and you will receive RM2 back when you return it.

8cd8e2bc-5d6a-4cb0-be7d-5e2813a5e511_zpsbnem8drz.jpg

No exercise? Like the 272 steps up here weren't enough. lol

245446ca-9a9f-4bc8-a005-208ec24c1d8a_zpsr4njg6jy.jpg

Hi there, I have enjoyed reading your review and wanted to know if you would be kind enough to pass on Zaidee's email details. We are leaving in a week on a cruise and will be stopping in Port Kelang and would love to go to the Batu caves. Do you recommend it as a choice for the day? Many thanks, Shelley

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Brilliant review, loved every minute of it. Im doing the same cruise next June/July, very excited. Was the elephant ride from a elephant sanctuary? unfortunately none your pictures are open on my mac laptop? They show up as a grey box with please update your account with 3rd party hosting, I have no clue what this means lol but thanks again for a great review, I now have some goals

• 1 month later...

Hi Kim

I am glad I discovered your review. We are on the Costa Victoria from Singapore on 13/1/18 and your review was extremely helpful. One half of our 2 week cruise is identical to the one you did. Now I just have to look for a review to help me with the other half!

For those who are unable to see the Photobucket pics, you can upload an "embed" from google. Easy peasy even for someone who is technically challenged like me. I found the info on CC.

I'll get to your other reviews when the silly season is over and I am back from my cruise.

Happy cruising

Alicat(Riana)