Promoting poor etiquette?

Royals new Suite program has the possibility of creating some pretty unhappy cruisers. They have now introduced “priority lines” at signature activities and this has already caused some people to get really upset because it basically allows the priority guest(s) to monopolize an activity if they want to do so. While this won’t affect many who cruise it could have the possibility of ruining an experience for those who enjoy an activity onboard and are happy to wait their turn in line with the masses. If a guest that is not in a certain suite class has to wait in line for over 30 minutes and a priority guest gets to use the same activity 3 or 4 times while they wait it will create some very unpleasant people. I’m having a real problem trying to support a company that is basically promoting poor etiquette amongst cruisers. Hopefully I am not alone on this.

Royals new Suite program has the possibility of creating some pretty unhappy cruisers. They have now introduced “priority lines” at signature activities and this has already caused some people to get really upset because it basically allows the priority guest(s) to monopolize an activity if they want to do so. While this won’t affect many who cruise it could have the possibility of ruining an experience for those who enjoy an activity onboard and are happy to wait their turn in line with the masses. If a guest that is not in a certain suite class has to wait in line for over 30 minutes and a priority guest gets to use the same activity 3 or 4 times while they wait it will create some very unpleasant people. I’m having a real problem trying to support a company that is basically promoting poor etiquette amongst cruisers. Hopefully I am not alone on this.

I agree, I think they have gone a little overboard with this thing .

Is this a theoretical problem, or have you actually witnessed this happening? I saw a rant about it on another thread, but those citing actual experience seemed to indicate it was not a problem.

I took a flight recently and the those with the global entry pass didn't have to wait in line at security. The airline gave first class passengers priority boarding and check in. Same thing happened at the hotel. I just couldn't believe the poor etiquette displayed by those people that paid for this perk. The nerve of them.

Has anyone in the post even been on a ship yet with star class. That is the only group that gets priority access to things (above what they used to give) and on Allure with 6000 passengers there are only 11 cabins that give you star class. This is really a non issue and being stirred up for reasons other than any inconvenience anyone has faced. I just got off Allure and never once saw any issues with the system and it seem to pretty much go unused or it was so minimal it didn't matter to anyone. That is my experience.

It's No different than the priority desk for suites at the American Icon Grill for dinner. When the line for no reservations is down to the elevators on lobster night, or any other night, suite guests have a separate line and get seated right away.

No different than priority tendering, priority disembark, priority customs line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It probably isn't & likely will not be a problem. The way I see it is that it would be like a Fast Pass at an amusement park, where you get to skip the line on the popular rides. Some rides you have a separate line where you basically get to the front, while some simply merge with the regular line as you get closer. It's not like you get to keep going as many times as you want while the regular customers have to keep waiting.

I used the priority line at Guest Services for the first time on our last cruise even though it's been available in the past. What was even better was the priority line to customs in Port Canaveral. That was worth the price of the suite alone. I'm not sure where 'poor etiquette' fits into this discussion.

Edited by Big_G

You also do realize that Royal Class suite guests in these two classes of ships make up a very small percentage of the overall total number of guests on a particular cruise? Also, it's likely that a smaller number who have Royal Class privileges would actually use some of these services or perks.

If I was paying 20,000 to sail in a suite, that others are paying 2,000 for, I would expect to get extra perks, although it will never be me. It's the same on airlines, when you pay for first class, you get extra.

I agree with those who say this is really a non-issue. I've been on ships before where they have a special set of seats for suite guests, special restaurant, special bar, etc. I think if you want to pay that much for a room you should be able to expect better treatment than someone who sails in an inside cabin.

I understand why RCI is doing it. They are trying to sell the suites and adding on some suite perks helps people who can afford, or want to afford, to pay that much get something more for their price.

This is true lots of places. We were in New York a couple of weeks ago and when we went to plays the better seats cost more. When we went to restaurants the better ones cost more. When we looked for a hotel the ones with better locations and classier features cost more. When we flew on the airplane the 1st Class people got to board right after people with children or those who needed additional help. It's a pretty common paradigm.

I don't think RCI is telling anyone they can't pay the extra cost for suite if they want to.

I've also seen people with higher loyalty status go to the front of lines and get free drinks and other benefits that "everyone" else doesn't get until they reach that level. Seems like the same kind of thing to me.

Tom

You also do realize that Royal Class suite guests in these two classes of ships make up a very small percentage of the overall total number of guests on a particular cruise? Also, it's likely that a smaller number who have Royal Class privileges would actually use some of these services or perks.

Agreed. I think this would only be a problem if there was one rude guests who would continue using the priority line over and over again for the same activity, despite seeing other guests waiting...however, I would assume that the staff should be instructed to not let that happen.

So as the OP mentioned, if there was one guest who used the same, say flowrider line, 3 or 4 times continuously, the staff should let him on immediately when he shows up, but then let 3 or 4 guests go before him if he goes right back to the priority line for a second, third, fourth time. There needs to be a happy medium. Follow me?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Have noticed a real push to give suite guests perks so that RC can justify the prices. Unfortunately, I doubt I will EVER be able to afford that kind of price and feel lucky to go on a cruise every couple of years.

It does make you feel that the cruise line doesn't care about the masses (since suites are only a small % of cruisers).

It's not the same as a priority line at a restaurant or boarding a flight earlier. The priority line doesn't mean you don't have the option of eating there or get a different menu. There are restaurants, lounges, etc not even available to those not in a suite. And boarding a flight earlier is a one time event. And you will still get your seat on the flight. On a cruise, it happens multiple times per day.

Read another thread earlier today that a suite guest demanded being on a better life boat that was more comfortable. This will be next. jk

Suite guests pay a lot - and they should get a lot of perks but this feels overboard to me as well.

Edited by tgnorton

Have noticed a real push to give suite guests perks so that RC can justify the prices. Unfortunately, I doubt I will EVER be able to afford that kind of price and feel lucky to go on a cruise every couple of years.

It does make you feel that the cruise line doesn't care about the masses (since suites are only a small % of cruisers).

It's not the same as a priority line at a restaurant or boarding a flight earlier. The priority line doesn't mean you don't have the option of eating there or get a different menu. There are restaurants, lounges, etc not even available to those not in a suite. And boarding a flight earlier is a one time event. And you will still get your seat on the flight. On a cruise, it happens multiple times per day.

Read another thread earlier today that a suite guest demanded being on a better life boat that was more comfortable. This will be next. jk

Suite guests pay a lot - and they should get a lot of perks but this feels overboard to me as well.

Don't agree with your airline comparison. We fly first class and we get free alcohol, a hot meal on longer flights and fresh baked cookies (United). What we get is completely different than what is offered to the economy class cabin.

It's not the same as a priority line at a restaurant or boarding a flight earlier. The priority line doesn't mean you don't have the option of eating there or get a different menu. There are restaurants, lounges, etc not even available to those not in a suite. And boarding a flight earlier is a one time event. On a cruise, it happens multiple times per day. And you will still get your seat on the flight.

You know that suite guests (GS and above) have always had priority seating at shows? Line bypass for mtd?

Royal's new suite program does very little to change wait times for suite guests so I doubt the sense of entitlement will increase.

If you want those benefits then you can pay for them. It is no different than people who fly first class getting a more leg room / better service.

There will always be self-entitled clowns in each and every class.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's a simple thing really. If you pay more, you get more. I book suites for the perks as well as the larger room.

................I agree with Paul and Big G..........put a crow bar in the wallet and spend some bucks if you want better treatment.......and "poor etiquette"? I thought it was a post on RCL using the incorrect placement of silverware on the dining tables..............Don't bring this up to "Bernie"...........:eek::eek:

Personally I'm very happy with the program. I have to option to be pampered if I want to pay for it, but I can still book a reasonably priced cabin if I want and get 90% of the experience for 40% of the cost. There's less pressure on RC to raise prices on the 'regular' cabins since the suites have very large profit margins.

I think many are misinterpreting what the OP is referring to. I don't know what the activities are, but it sounds like it could be something like the flowrider, where suite guests might have access to a much shorter line that basically allows them to use the flowrider over and over again at the expense of non-suite guests that are waiting in the "normal" line. I don't think OP is referring to a one-time thing, like getting to the front of the guest services line, or priority tendering, or dining.

Edited by time4u2go

I think RCCL is promoting a separation of the classes just as in the early days of travel by ship.

Upper class has priority boarding, priority dining, reserved seating by the pool, reserved seating at the shows, their own separate lounges so they don't have to mingle with the riff raff, etc.. Doesn't seem to end.

While the steerage class gets to wait in line to pick at the left over scraps.

I think RCCL is promoting a separation of the classes just as in the early days of travel by ship.

Upper class has priority boarding, priority dining, reserved seating by the pool, reserved seating at the shows, their own separate lounges so they don't have to mingle with the riff raff, etc.. Doesn't seem to end.

While the steerage class gets to wait in line to pick at the left over scraps.

No, RCCL is promoting profit. You must be voting for Bernie. ;)

So as the OP mentioned, if there was one guest who used the same, say flowrider line, 3 or 4 times continuously, the staff should let him on immediately when he shows up, but then let 3 or 4 guests go before him if he goes right back to the priority line for a second, third, fourth time. There needs to be a happy medium. Follow me?

This kind of stuff is really going to piss people off and cause a rippling negative effect.

It sort of happened to me at Busch Gardens a few years back.

I waited for the front seat of a ride, when it was my turn, they started letting people with an Express pass come in from the exit side and take my spot.

I got bumped 4 times in a row because those people wanted the front seat.

It was a complete mess and I complained to guest services on the way out.

They ended up giving me free tickets but I never used them.

Probably won't ever go back..........

Edited by matj2000

I think this is interesting. I haven't seen any reports about this. Specifically with the flow rider since it is basically one person at a time on the surfing side, two on the boggy board side. I think it might be better if they had a time when it was for suite guests only. Similar to what they do for expert/advanced riders.

I think you're falling into a trap with your hypothetical. The OP never provided any evidence to support their theory.