Not so Short Liberty review May 15 Caribbean

Hey all or should I say y'all , thought I would share my observations on the sailing we just got off .

First off Galveston port for embarkation and disembarkation has improved 100% , from parking the car to sipping on our first drink by 11:30 , so about a 50 minutes process, and doing self disembarkation was back in the truck by 8:45 on our way home

I purchased a drink package and thanks to royal's stellar IT issues , I got the ultimate package at a very favourable price , but with that said I won't be doing that package again , I found the drink to just kinda all blend together, ended up drinking beers and coolers ect . Just got tired of lava flows , and mudslides , mojito's,and other prepared drinks , I will say maybe this has something to do with my lack of imagination , or personal reference library of drink names or ingredients. I will get the select package on my next sailing

A few more things about the packages, on day on sitting in the WJ , a server stopped by to get drink orders , and was going to get my son a pop package and he informed us that since I already had the UP package we would not need to get him one ..... SHOCKER . And next thing you know pops all around at the table

I dismissed this and went to a bar to get another drink and was told the same thing . Now I'm thinking this is new . Their encouraging sharing ....WHAT . For all that is holy this is not allowed , I'm in turmoil

We separate for a while and explored the ship , and when we met back in the cabin before the drill , but kids got charged for a pop . So we ended up getting the package for my son he drinks a lot of pop on holidays

Also my wife enjoys a morning coffee as do I and the amount of drinks she has on a cruise you could count on one hand , plus she drinks the wine we bring onboard

On two occasions at the cafe I would order a mocha for each of us and they would ask for the second card , I just told them charge me for one of the drinks , and they just gave them both for free ...this warranted extra tips , same thing happened at the bar a couple of times as well , I was perfectly happy to pay for the second drink ,I did not have too ,but I can contest that they are not turning their eye on sharing , the bartender I was talking to was watching two girls like a hawk , because he thought they where sharing , and stared that if he sees it he will get the drink back and dump it out , never happened , but would have loved to see it

Most bartenders were friendly , the staff in the promenade cafe were not , as mentioned love a coffee in the morning and would have like a good morning greeting , instead of just hearing the word NEXT and a nod to indicate it was my turn to order . FYI baileys or other liquor was not available for the coffees , and was told it was sometimes but not now , after day 4 I just stopped asking for it , I would get a shot either first before ordering coffee or the night before from one of the bars , I mentioned this to our waiter at dinner on last night , and within 10 minutes the manager for that department came over to hear the details he said he would look into it and have a talk with his staff , I think more than a talk will be required, the staff just did not seem friendly

We had MTD for the first time and loved the flexibility of it other than loving the waiter and his assistant on the first night so all other reservations we around when their tables were available

Our room attendant Colin was by far the best we have ever had , friendly always around to greet us coming and going , he was from Jamaica, so when we docked in Falmouth we told him to leave or cabin for the day and use the extra time to visit off the ship. To be completely honest most cabin attendants, don't leave any impression. But Colin was Fantastic , and was glad to give back for him

Only a few other snags , Johnny Rockets ran out of onion rings, on day six , not a huge deal but was looking forward to some

I was impressed but the maintenance staff , out kids spend a bunch of time on the sport deck and they were playing in the soccer tournament, it was 30* out in the shade and the water fountains were broken and turned off , my wife and I made two trips to the sky bar for water for the 25 plus players sweating their asses off , bartenders did not have a jug or tray for us to use so we managed 8 glasses at a time between the 2 of us , on our second trip there was an officer at the bar and I told him what we had to do to get these guys and gals water back there , I made a phone call and by next morning it was fixed

So other that what I have mentioned , really to our standards, food in all venues was good , with a disclaimer the the pizza is only good after midnight and a bunch of drinks have been consumed.

Sabor was good as always , meet and mingle, had good attendance, and a cabin crawl, which was very enjoyable as well

Ship itself is very clean , and well maintained, most staff seemed friendly , never felt crowded , unless there was an event on the promenade then it was a nightmare getting from one end to the other .

Saturday night fever was enjoying. Not sure where the whole mature rating comes in but maybe that's just me

Activities staff were OK not good or bad just OK

That's about it any question feel free to ask and will do my best to answer .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the review.

Was the same terminal we used in 2014 , I just think they finally figured out how to use the space efficiently

Sorry quoted for the wrong reply

Edited by Funbobby68

Nativetexan the drink packages are on sale online right now for 20% off... Log in to your cruise planner under beverage and you'll see it. Got mine today [emoji847]

Initially, they offered a sale on current pricing for some ships/sailings. But then they raised the price to offer a 20% off sale. The total savings is about $15 for the week.

Just curious the cost of the sale price vs onboard cost. At least today!

Thanks.

I read a review from Liberty last week they said they got the premium package on board at $55 per day pp +18%..... With the sale online its $44 per day pp + 18%. So that 20%...

We are cruising on the Liberty in December. According to another thread (see link below)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2180388&page=10

there is a huge tent set up outside of the terminal that was being used for people to check in and wait to board the ship.

Is this tent still there?

Edited by JimAOk1945

I read a review from Liberty last week they said they got the premium package on board at $55 per day pp +18%..... With the sale online its $44 per day pp + 18%. So that 20%...

On my cruise planner - the premium package is priced at $47 usd per day. That would be an onboard price of $58.75 usd per day. Just interested to see if that's the onboard price for the premium package.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off Galveston port for embarkation and disembarkation has improved 100%

This is something I look for in every review from Galveston in the odd chance we take a cruise after visiting family there someday. (It could happen)

I was on this cruise, too.

One thing I noticed about check-in in Galveston was the long line outside the door just to get into the terminal. I had both Platinum and Suite priority boarding, but I suspect that I would have had to wait in the snaking outside line until I got inside where they separate the priority lines, if I hadn't gone to the woman at the door to ask. She let me right in. The Miami terminal has a separate entrance for priority boarding.

For the drink package, I recall that I got a 30% off the Ultimate Package by pre-purchasing, which ended up being about the same as purchasing the Premium Package on the ship. My wife and I both like wine with dinner, cocktails during trivia and shows, I get a coffee at the Promenade Cafe in the morning, and we get bottles of water for the stateroom and excursions whenever we pass a bar, so we feel we get our money's worth from the UP.

Steve

I was also on this cruise. Embarkation and disembarkation was a breeze. We arrived at port at 11:40 and were on board with drink in hand by 12:10, just gold members but did have a separate line and no long line out the door, just walked right through. Leaving the ship, waited in dining room until our number called at 10:00 and off, through customs and waiting for shuttle by 10:20, we did not use a porter, saw no need to.

We prepurchased the beverage packages when the 20% sale first started and wasn't even showing in cruise planner ....heard about it through CC (thanks) so called. We paid $44.37/day ($310.58) including gratuities for premium and $50.97/day ($356.83) for ultimate. Worked well for us, though not real big drinkers, but it does add up especially on a cruise, a drink or 2 by pool, wine with dinner, a drink or 2 after dinner at show, listening to Derek Lewis, or dancing to Nashville Junction ....plus water, soda, coffee .....felt we at least broke even and sure nice not to even think about it. The onboard packages were $55/day for premium and $62/day for ultimate plus 18% gratuities so we felt we saved and worth it. FYI....on board, Royal Replenish $19/day, select $42/day, Royal refreshment $8/day plus 18%.

Had a wonderful cruise! :)

Edited by QCAZ

Took in Derek show on the first night , held his balls for a while , but so much going on navel made it back

Seen him years ago when he was on rhapsody in Alaska . Very entertaining

No tent went straight in to the terminal after dropping luggage

Thanks for answering my question. We are looking forward to spending the Christmas holiday on Liberty.

Took in Derek show on the first night , held his balls for a while , but so much going on navel made it back

Seen him years ago when he was on rhapsody in Alaska . Very entertaining

Funbobby, know you were recently on the Liberty and see you have also been on the Rhapsody. We were on the same Liberty cruise as you and at that time booked an April western Caribbean out of Tampa on the Rhapsody. Just wondering how you would compare the 2 ships, how you liked the Rhapsody. Thanks for any insight.