Jet Buzz - Breakaway.

judipa

On the June 19th sailing of the Breakaway we were buzzed 3 times by a private jet after we left Bermuda. Has anyone else had this happen? Don't know why someone would do this. Many people on the ship thought we were being attacked as he came right at us 3 times and then rose up or veered off at the last minute.

Was on that trip. We were walking back to the ship and saw the plume. There were two vapor trails and it looked like whatever was flying was going straight up in the air. Thought at first someone had sent off some type of rocket. When we got on the ship, some people were saying that it was a military plane doing maneuvers. Since it was right after Britain announced they were leaving the European Union, it was a little concerning. Friends were in the spa when the plane was going by and said it passed right by the spa windows, almost at their eye level. They were really scared. Would be great if someone had any further information.

On the June 19th sailing of the Breakaway we were buzzed 3 times by a private jet after we left Bermuda. Has anyone else had this happen? Don't know why someone would do this. Many people on the ship thought we were being attacked as he came right at us 3 times and then rose up or veered off at the last minute.

I was also in this sailing. I wasn't aware of it but my daughter told me about it. She said she saw it from our balcony. She also heard a lady was talking about it in the elevator and said that she contacted her ex who had government connections to alert someone and that the ship was being monitored because of these planes.

Edited by MotherofTrips

I was on that cruise as well, right on the deck where the jet passed by. It was very close and very scary. I was too stunned to grab my camera but the word MARINE was clearly written on the back of the jet.

I was upset that the captain did not announce anything, clearly he must have radioed someone, since the jet first buzzed the ship right in front of the bridge!

The jet circled back three more times.

Terrifying....

Hi I was on this cruise also...and have been checking here ever since we got off the ship. We were in the Vibe, and it was very scary. We walked down to the pool deck as the plane came around for the second time, passengers were

going from side to side to see if the plane was coming back. I can tell you people were terrified as was my husband and I. We thought we would hear an announcement, but that never happened. When we went to the cabin we called the front desk to ask about what had happened they said it was just the French Navy doing some drills but they were not notified. The next day I went to the Q & A with the officers, the first question was about the plane. They Captain said he heard a lot of stories about and laughed (well I can tell you I was MAD) and said I did not see it. I them asked the question and said It really was not really funny people were terrified, he then said the plane was not that close (I was there and a lot of other people as far as we could see it was close) we were never in any danger.

I have been on these boards only as a stalker LOL I have gotten all my knowledge about cruising from here. I never post because I am not a good writer although I can talk pretty good LOL

Me and my husband were out on our balcony when the private jet came buzzing over us going across the ship. He then circled back around and flew right alongside us barely above us on the 15th deck. Definitely a private plane not military as it was all white and had at least 4 to 5 windows on the side. We have been to several air shows and have seen plenty of military jets. This plane flew very low and was not trying to climb. We thought maybe he had to circle around to land but he was to far out over the water to be doing that. We were well past the channel at that point and out into open water.

He buzzed by our side 2 more times and it sounded like he did at least once on the starboard side (we were port). After the second time it did become unnerving and thoughts of having this plane crash into the ship were running rampant. The flying was a bit reckless and the thought of him crashing was crossing my mind. A lot of people were coming out onto their balconies to see what was going on.

I did video it on my phone but have not uploaded it yet to see if you can make anything out on it. We thought that it was a rich brat showing off once he took off into the distance and didn't come back. :mad:

Me and my husband were out on our balcony when the private jet came buzzing over us going across the ship. He then circled back around and flew right alongside us barely above us on the 15th deck. Definitely a private plane not military as it was all white and had at least 4 to 5 windows on the side. We have been to several air shows and have seen plenty of military jets. This plane flew very low and was not trying to climb. We thought maybe he had to circle around to land but he was to far out over the water to be doing that. We were well past the channel at that point and out into open water.

He buzzed by our side 2 more times and it sounded like he did at least once on the starboard side (we were port). After the second time it did become unnerving and thoughts of having this plane crash into the ship were running rampant. The flying was a bit reckless and the thought of him crashing was crossing my mind. A lot of people were coming out onto their balconies to see what was going on.

I did video it on my phone but have not uploaded it yet to see if you can make anything out on it. We thought that it was a rich brat showing off once he took off into the distance and didn't come back. :mad:

It would be great if you can upload video. We were on BA the week before you and I know I would have been scared seeing this.

I would have been very scared. I would like to know who was flying the plane. Could it have been a rehearsal for a terror strike? Im from NY and these issues worry me. Yes I know go live my life, I do but we cannot just take these kind of event not serious. Thank you OP.

Edited by js

That definitely looks like the same plane. "Maritime surveillance aircraft for the French Navy" is the description. The article posted toward the top of this thread says the French have apologized, yet it's clear from reading this thread that some here haven't bothered to read before posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That definitely looks like the same plane. "Maritime surveillance aircraft for the French Navy" is the description. The article posted toward the top of this thread says the French have apologized, yet it's clear from reading this thread that some here haven't bothered to read before posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The apology was just added today. I saw the article yesterday so my bad for not looking again. But we are not talking about 1 fly-by but multiple. It was a bit unnerving and became more so each time. At least one time he tilted the plane as he flew by showing the belly to us. What if something went wrong and he lost control of that plane and crashed?

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

The apology was just added today. I saw the article yesterday so my bad for not looking again. But we are not talking about 1 fly-by but multiple. It was a bit unnerving and became more so each time. At least one time he tilted the plane as he flew by showing the belly to us. What if something went wrong and he lost control of that plane and crashed?

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Not you, but the person who posted 20 minutes before me said they think it was a rehearsal for a terrorist strike. That is the person who clearly didn't bother to read any of the provided info. Good grief. Panic much?

I'm sorry people were scared, but this kind of training is necessary. Some day some of you might be the people who benefit from it. Get over it. The ship should have been notified.

Not you, but the person who posted 20 minutes before me said they think it was a rehearsal for a terrorist strike. That is the person who clearly didn't bother to read any of the provided info. Good grief. Panic much?

I'm sorry people were scared, but this kind of training is necessary. Some day some of you might be the people who benefit from it. Get over it. The ship should have been notified.

Training, sure.

But is there any real reason why they couldn't have trained along side of a military ship?

Even IF they had given notice to a civilian ship... "accidents do happen"... and why in the world risk the lives of a few thousand civilians??

US FAA Regulations, which might be totally different in Bermuda, airspace below 1,200' is called uncontrolled or class G airspace, except in close proximity to an airport. The FAA ATC has no authority over aircraft operating in that airspace. In US territorial airspace, an aircraft operating over open water must not operate closer than 500' to a vessel. ANd the catchall regulation by FAA says, no pilot at any time may ever operate "in a careless or reckless manner that endangers the lives and property of others". Over international waters, usually outside the 3 or 5 mile limit around a country, ATC, as provided by the various countries that share the responsibility, ATC has no authority at all except to provide ATC separation services. And those services are not mandatory and are only done so for those aircraft requesting such. So, out there (and I don't know how far Bermuda authority extends) any aircraft may operate in any way they wish. It is all up to the pilot. Now........his/her company/organization may take unusual flight activities conducted by one of their pilots as a serious discipline problem. But...no ATC involved in any case.

Maybe. But why should my feelings/opinions be any less than how you feel? That is what I said I quickly thought. Are you saying rehearsals dont happen? Whatever lol

Thanks OP and glad it was "just" a pilot putting a cruise ship and passengers at risk and nothing else.

Edited by js