Breakaway 6/19/16-6/26/16

tmknies

Just off the Breakaway yesterday. This was our second time on this ship. We loved it so much last year that we booked on the ship last year for this year. We are a family of four; me, H, S16 and D19.

I was worried about going on the same ship twice, did I over hype the first trip? Will it be as good as I remembered....? It was even better than last year.

Last year we had two aft balconies on deck 9. The balconies were huge but were completely covered so we did not get sun on them. This year we had two larger balcony cabins on the same deck (9126, 9128). These balconies had sun which made me happy. I spent much more time on this balcony than last year. H preferred the Aft cabins.

We really like this ship. The staff are very friendly and the ship is clean. We have three favorite bartenders at Malting's which just made for a better experience- Renaldo, Abdul and Elliot.

We had the UDP and the UBP. I thought Teppanyaki was excellent, we love Le Bistro and thought this year was just as good. Moderno was very good. We did not like Cagney's last year and did not like it again this year. Service is not on par with the others and neither is the food (in our opinion). We were served frozen cake and the steak was not as good as in the other restaurants. La Cuchina was not as good as last year, service was poor. On the flip side O'Sheehan's was really good this year, service was much better than last year. Uptown Grill was still there and still very good.

Howl to the Moon was excellent, the three men were better than the performers last year. Melvin at Malting's was excellent. I thought the female lead in Rock of Ages was better this year but the rest of the cast was better last year.

S loved Teen Entourage. Hardly saw him. He had a blast.

We did a shore excursion with Reef Explorers but did not book through the ship. Price was much cheaper and reviews were excellent. It was very easy to get to, same dock as the water taxi. Mark the Captain was very informative and we all had lots of fun.

Looked to book again for next year but pricing is substantially greater for the same cabins next year. Will need to shop around.

Wonderful cruise. Love Bermuda and the Breakaway.

We had the UDP and the UBP. I thought Teppanyaki was excellent, we love Le Bistro and thought this year was just as good. Moderno was very good. We did not like Cagney's last year and did not like it again this year. Service is not on par with the others and neither is the food (in our opinion). We were served frozen cake and the steak was not as good as in the other restaurants. La Cuchina was not as good as last year, service was poor. On the flip side O'Sheehan's was really good this year, service was much better than last year. Uptown Grill was still there and still very good.

Thank you for your comments.

We are looking forward to our 1st Breakaway voyage in October. It will also be our 1st experience with UDP.

I was trying to find a list of the restaurants that we can visit.

Also wondering if there are some that we could visit and pay an upcharge.

Do you have this information?

Thanks!

We are looking forward to our 1st Breakaway voyage in October. It will also be our 1st experience with UDP.

Thanks!

Go to the NCL website and read about your ship. All that info and tons more is right there at the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks!

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide-040816.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For the UDP you have it for the entire week or can purchase a certain number of days. There are still restaurants and other places that have an additional charge that are not included in the UDP such as Ocean Blue, the Raw Bar and Carlo's bakery- I think a few others also. We did get a lobster roll and calamari on the waterfront one day and paid the additional fee. Did not do any of the others.

Thanks for the info! We will be on this sailing in August. My kids are similar ages (son 19 and daughter 17). We booked a balcony and an inside for the kids. My daughter will not want to do the teen club - will they have enough to do? They like mini golf and both play basketball so I think they will do a lot of that!

I'm very excited for our trip and glad you enjoyed yours!!

You can eat in any of the specialty restaurants. For the a la carte restaurants, as long as you only order 1 entree (you can order as many appetizers, sides, or desserts as you want though...) there is not an upcharge. Except for Ocean Blue- I think that upcharge is around $20/person. The upcharge for the Cirque show is only like $12.

I've called several times and asked what the rules are as well!

You can eat in any of the specialty restaurants. For the a la carte restaurants, as long as you only order 1 entree (you can order as many appetizers, sides, or desserts as you want though...) there is not an upcharge. Except for Ocean Blue- I think that upcharge is around $20/person. The upcharge for the Cirque show is only like $12.

I've called several times and asked what the rules are as well!

I believe the upcharge is $15.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by denatravels

Thanks!

Which week are you cruising in October?? We are on the 16th sailing to Bermuda!

Just off the Breakaway yesterday. This was our second time on this ship. We loved it so much last year that we booked on the ship last year for this year. We are a family of four; me, H, S16 and D19.

I was worried about going on the same ship twice, did I over hype the first trip? Will it be as good as I remembered....? It was even better than last year.

Last year we had two aft balconies on deck 9. The balconies were huge but were completely covered so we did not get sun on them. This year we had two larger balcony cabins on the same deck (9126, 9128). These balconies had sun which made me happy. I spent much more time on this balcony than last year. H preferred the Aft cabins.

We really like this ship. The staff are very friendly and the ship is clean. We have three favorite bartenders at Malting's which just made for a better experience- Renaldo, Abdul and Elliot.

Howl to the Moon was excellent, the three men were better than the performers last year. Melvin at Malting's was excellent. I thought the female lead in Rock of Ages was better this year but the rest of the cast was better last year.

S loved Teen Entourage. Hardly saw him. He had a blast.

We did a shore excursion with Reef Explorers but did not book through the ship. Price was much cheaper and reviews were excellent. It was very easy to get to, same dock as the water taxi. Mark the Captain was very informative and we all had lots of fun.

Looked to book again for next year but pricing is substantially greater for the same cabins next year. Will need to shop around.

Wonderful cruise. Love Bermuda and the Breakaway.

So happy to hear a good review of this ship AND find someone in the cabin we are sailing in on our Dec cruise. How did you like 9126?

Thanks for the info! We will be on this sailing in August. My kids are similar ages (son 19 and daughter 17). We booked a balcony and an inside for the kids. My daughter will not want to do the teen club - will they have enough to do? They like mini golf and both play basketball so I think they will do a lot of that!

I'm very excited for our trip and glad you enjoyed yours!!

We were on the July 1st cruise, and the basketball courts seemed pretty occupied throughout the day, although plenty of folks were enjoying it and playing together. The ropes course and slides didn't get as busy as I thought they were, and while their were lines, they weren't hours long; maybe a half hour tops. In my opinion, once you did mini golf once, that was enough. I think your children will do ok; there may be some down times, but they should enjoy themselves.

Sounds like the service is iffy on the Breakaway.

Are there comment cards to fill out on who gave you the best service?

I felt the service was pretty good overall; a few hiccups, but nothing a re-request wouldn't solve. On the 2nd to last day of the cruise and also on the final day I heard there were Vacation Hero cards available, although I didn't see where they were readily available; I did see if you went to Guest Services you could request them, but in my opinion, they all deserved one, as most any ship; they are hard working crew members.