Internet on Anthem of the Seas - DD-WRT Repeater question

First ever cruise in a few weeks. On the Anthem of the Seas.

Will I be able to bring a simple DD-WRT router and make it work as one of my paid internet devices?

I wouldn't think so, but I haven't messed with my DD-WRT router at home for a while (because it works!). The problem you'll have would be with web-based/token login requirement. I haven't checked on a new version in a few years for DD-WRT so not sure if they've updated. Quick check would be to see if it supports something like Boingo or the like where you have timed sessions that require a browser to connect.

If you figure a way around this please let me know! :-D

I used a TPLink WR-810N on Allure last week without any issues. Just couldn't get a PPTP or L2TP VPN tunnel built. OpenVPN and SSTP worked fine from a laptop.

Thanks for the details.

No issues with the captive portal.

The login/seasion stayed up the entire voyage.

Using the travel router made using my EyeFi card a breeze. Was nice being able to transfer the pictures from camera to laptop while in the room.

The sole reason was not to bypass the device limit.

Thanks - Chandom,

Your travel router - what are you running?

I do a lot of hotel stays and was thinking of getting one. Mostly to log into the captive portal and then share with all my stuff (like chromecast, laptop, ipad, etc)

Thanks - Chandom,

Your travel router - what are you running?

I do a lot of hotel stays and was thinking of getting one. Mostly to log into the captive portal and then share with all my stuff (like chromecast, laptop, ipad, etc)

Default firmware. Couldn't find anything third party.

Still looking for alternatives.

Added: TPLINK WR810N

Edited by chandom

Thanks I'll lokk at that tl-wr810n also looking at the "HooToo" Wireless travel router.

I used to build my own with dd-WRT firmware and a cisco54g - Side note: FCC outlawing open source firmware. New routers won't be able to download dd-wrt after June 2 if they have their way.

Edited by pokership39

Main thing I was looking for at the time was the ability to plug it directly to the wall. Was looking at one of the various HooToo units. Liked the idea of the one with the built-in battery.

I had also thought of a full size unit as well. But liked the idea of something more compact and less obvious.

Added: Still my goal is to find a compact one that could run OpenVPN.

Edited by chandom

just ordered a HooToo Titan. Actually, I'm looking for a device that I can put anywhere in the hotel room. For example I may get better wifi near the window or door but not at the desk. Also getting into chormecast for my movies and the hootoo will play directly from USB to the chromecast.

Thus for under $40 seems like a cool little tool to have with me. Can drop the USB battery in my travel bag, so it's a swap out.

For the ship, having a little router will be nice. Easy to transfer files around phones/cameras/laptops. Also may let the kids wifi stuff use it via one shared connection. ( I may also just keep them offline!!)

I don't run openVPN, use Cisco SSL and run a IPSEC/UDP. I will report if I get that working.

Edited by pokership39

I read in another thread a cruiser who found his router MAC was banned by Royal. His theory was the MAC addresses of big router makers were banned to prevent users from sharing a connection.

See here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2299753

A solution he had was to use a lesser known manufacturer "Hootoo"

So I bought one of these. I haven't used it yet on our cruise, but playing in the house it's a cool little device. It's built in battery makes it VERY portable. We can carry it all around the ship and stay logged in and share. The battery also acts as a charger. I ran the thing for almost 2 days on one charge. Pretty cool little device.

http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Performance-10400mAh-External/dp/B00RVIGY1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463415766&sr=8-1&keywords=hootoo

I read in another thread a cruiser who found his router MAC was banned by Royal. His theory was the MAC addresses of big router makers were banned to prevent users from sharing a connection.

See here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2299753...

Don't these routers have the ability to clone the MAC address of the PC that is configuring them?

Don't these routers have the ability to clone the MAC address of the PC that is configuring them?

Yes. Many routers (and firmware like DD-WRT) will allow you to clone the MAC address of something else which would fool Royal's hardware bans.

The HooToo does NOT have this in their current firmware I installed.

So if you pre clone the MAC that might be a good option. I REALLY REALLY like this little HooToo. It's so small, portable and can charge my devices. And so far, Royal isn't banning the MAC IDs. Can run for 48 hours and carry around the ship. That checks all my boxes and some I didn't know about.

However, if I were bringing a wired router, I would clone my MAC before leaving home for the ship.

--Russ

• 3 months later...

See here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2299753

A solution he had was to use a lesser known manufacturer "Hootoo"

So I bought one of these. I haven't used it yet on our cruise, but playing in the house it's a cool little device. It's built in battery makes it VERY portable. We can carry it all around the ship and stay logged in and share. The battery also acts as a charger. I ran the thing for almost 2 days on one charge. Pretty cool little device.

http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Performance-10400mAh-External/dp/B00RVIGY1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463415766&sr=8-1&keywords=hootoo

did you happen to use the hootoo onboard ?

Yes we did. It worked well. Also for a USB charger. Nice little device.

thanks !

i had a few minutes to make a decision, so in the meantime i bought the tp link 810n that is also mentioned here in the forum... basically because if has mac cloning, which could help in "difficult" situations.