Suites - how do you get one reasonably priced?

Apart from the obvious responses like work harder/get better job etc, and the fact one persons reasonable is another's excessive extravagance makes this highly subjective at best however this is more insight than anything else

I've looked at Suites on various cruise lines and I'm just trying to figure out how people actually afford these!!!

Take, for example, Navigator of the Seas Royal Suite on Deck 10 - the largest and only room of its kind on the entire ship (me and the missus had a quick peak on disembarkation and were in awe at its sheer size!!). So to stay in that room on board Navigator (bearing in mind it's not the technological smorgasbord that the Quantum or Oasis class ships are - and neither is it the newest generation of ship in currently in the fleet) yet to stay in the Royal Suite for 14 nights cost £19,444 (circa $25,047 at time of writing this) for 2 people on 12 May 2017

That is the same money as a entry level Ford Mustang V6 Fastback!!! I mean surely people aren't handing money over like that? Either cruising in a Suite stateroom is the prerogative of the global 1% wealthy population exclusively OR you are a high loyalty level member that has qualified for the largest discounts the cruise line is willing to offer. There must be ways of "blagging" yourself a cheeky discount on a suite stateroom?

I'm only a lowly Gold level CAS Member at the moment and the purpose of his thread is not to start a flame war against RCCL's Loyalty or lack thereof (there's plenty other threads that have done that for me!) however it is something I've always been curious about - yes I would love to experience one however struggling to realise why a 14 night holiday will cost the same as a owning a brand new sports car today!!

Anyone got any insider or even pro tips on how to sniff out a good suite deal?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our experience has been that most times suites are least expensive when the cruises are first released.

Also, check the weekly sales flyer:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

I've seen occasional good prices for suites in that flyer.

Edited by clarea

Aha I see! Thanks for that - does this apply to new bookings only? I have a NextCruise booking that was originally for Allure in December 2017 and we have now changed it to Navigator in September. We changed the room from D1 Balcony to Interior with Virtual Balcony (difference in balcony price was extreme, almost double the price!) however would consider Balcony again or even suite if I'm so lucky to be eligible for that discount flyer you're linking there

Aha I see! Thanks for that - does this apply to new bookings only? I have a NextCruise booking that was originally for Allure in December 2017 and we have now changed it to Navigator in September. We changed the room from D1 Balcony to Interior with Virtual Balcony (difference in balcony price was extreme, almost double the price!) however would consider Balcony again or even suite if I'm so lucky to be eligible for that discount flyer you're linking there

The flyer prices are usually restricted to new bookings.

And finally - this "hum-dinger" Loft suites that are on Oasis and Quantum class ships - I assume they are priced so that the cost is divided amongst multiple travellers sharing said suite (I've seen some can sleep 4/6/8 people in the same room)?

I guess it depends on which ship, how long you are sailing and where you are sailing, plus WHEN you book it.

We have booked an Owners suite on Explorer for an 8 night sailing of the Pacific Islands in Feb 1017.

Originally there was only 2 of us, and it set us back $AU5000. We've since added our other sister to the booking and it only cost us another $AU1000.

We booked this back in April or May of this year and they had a buy one get 50% off the second passenger or some other deal from memory. Either way, I recall the saving being about $AU2000.

This is our first time sailing with RCI so no point status with C&A as of yet.

As to how we are affording it, I'm a checkout chick at a supermarket so not exactly rolling in it lol. It's something I feel is worthwhile ( celebrating my 40th ) so I'm happy to scrimp on other things to save for it.

I must admit though that sometimes I look at the price and think Oh God I could fly to the USA and go to Disneyland for the price lol.

@hitcharide thank you for your honesty!! I work in a UK call centre for a major UK TV company and despite the good salary, I just end up getting all subjective on a suite (hence the mention of the mustang reference above!) when prices of a stateroom start creeping toward the wrong end of a four digit (almost five digit) sum total!

Again I'm asking a very subjective question when it comes to affordability (and rightfully not disclosing that on the Internet is rather wise!) however I was merely trying to wrap my head around how people get those suites, particularly the Loft class and Royal suites in particular!!

Our experience is .....we look at our bookings every day. Last April/may we were on Jewel booked into JS. 3 weeks prior to sailing an owners suite became available for the 10 day May portion in the Med. we added $800 to our previous amount and snagged it.

Moral is to keep checking prices and grab them right away. Three hours after we upgraded the other owners suite was $4000 more .

We have the Serenade RS booked for 10 night southern next March. Booked it two years out while onboard Oasis. $8,800 tips included and we get $300 OBC.

That price included a $300 discount from our TA and a surprise $400 price drop

Edited by John&LaLa

sometimes it depends on how much party you have and what current promotion it's conducive to, and a lil bit of luck.

My key was during the kids sail and 2-3 ngt free promo, priced out 2 connecting balcony VS RFS, and the RFS was cheaper. That's coming from someone who used to laugh at the suite prices during the cruise planning process, so i guess the joke is on me now[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

@hitcharide thank you for your honesty!! I work in a UK call centre for a major UK TV company and despite the good salary, I just end up getting all subjective on a suite (hence the mention of the mustang reference above!) when prices of a stateroom start creeping toward the wrong end of a four digit (almost five digit) sum total!

No worries mate :) It's not something I would do on every cruise for sure! You only live once though hey :D

Anyone got any insider or even pro tips on how to sniff out a good suite deal?

Thanks!

As Bob said, booking when the new itineraries are released (typically around April)

To give you an example on my up coming Harmony cruise, we were debating between a OS, L1/L2 and A3. We ended up booking the A3 in April, 2015 with a price drop in June. All the suites we were looking at were just under 5k USD. and all sold out very quickly at those prices....

I was looking last week, there was one loft that had become available at the very low bargain price of $12,386.00USD!! :eek::eek:

Our experience has been that most times suites are least expensive when the cruises are first released.

Also, check the weekly sales flyer:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

I've seen occasional good prices for suites in that flyer.

Ditto. Book early and if you happen to also fall on a BOGO sale when booking, you can get a great deal. We got a Royal Family Suite for 5 people for $850 a person, upcoming 7 nighter on Liberty. We booked 19 months out and we hit a BOGO sale. Not too

shabby when balconies were going for $750 a person.

We book early and often have been the lucky recipients of a RCI website glitch where it has given us the wrong price. Once we got the royal family suite for 5 people for a 12 day cruise at a cost of just under $5k AUD. They had to honour the price under Australian law. Going on a Christmas cruise this year in another Royal family suite for the same price as an inside room... We just keep checking prices and grab one when the price is right. Hubby calls me obsessed with price checking so often but it means we can get a good deal.

We recently upgraded to a JS about 6 weeks before departure.

Originally had an Oceanview on Deck 3. I saw that the Guaranteed Junior Suite price had dropped significantly, and also there was only only one JS left to book.

If I selected the actual cabin it was around £800 more than the guarantee JS price, so took a punt and booked the guarantee stateroom. Later that day it was confirmed as the room that was left, so got it £800 cheaper. :D

Amazingly, the overall upgrade from Oceanview to JS was under £150 as prices were dropping as it got closer to the departure date, although we did lose the Select drinks package we originally received when we booked. This was not a biggie as not huge drinkers :)

We find TAs often have good suite prices if you book early. For our upcoming Brilliance TA we paid around £4500 for the 2 of us in a GS. This includes flights, free gratuities and a free premium drink package.

We love suites on a TA too as with all the sea days we appreciate all the extra space and chance to use it.

Julie

We did a week on Navigator in a Grand Suite a few years ago. It was booked just a few weeks before sailing and was a good price. Next year we have booked 7 nights in an Owners Suite on Rhapsody (no it doesn't have bells and whistles but its itinerary is great). The price is approx £1,100 more than a JS. Free flights from the UK are included. To us this is a good deal as my husband now has mobility issues and the shower over the tub is no use and there are 3 of us so the extra space is good.

I think the truth is that some people can simply afford it. There are very wealthy people who enjoy cruising. $25k is far, far less than chartering a crewed yacht for 2 weeks. So there is certainly a segment of the population that can afford it and willing to do so. Most suites are much more modest and well within the budget range of higher income travelers. Many people can spend $8k - $10k and not think much of it.

Also note that you can book in the off season and save substantially. I just checked a few random and you can get a 7 day Oasis of the Seas Junior Suite for $3500. Crown Loft for $6000 (for 2 people). And sometimes they have deals which make them even cheaper than that. Which is a far cry for $25k :) For instance, kids sail free. I can pay $6,000 for a group of 4 on this cruise, in a crown loft. Not bad.

Edited by BNBR

Your best bet is to either book early or just keep checking prices and book when you see a good price. (I'm not going to use the word 'sale' because Royal has distorted its meaning.)

I agree that some of the prices are breathtaking and I probably would never pay the really extreme prices (like during summers or holidays) that they charge for the higher level suites. You could renovate a bathroom or buy a car for some of those prices.

I'm happy with a JS in terms of room. For the extra money they charge for higher level suites, you can pay for your own drinks and dinners, many times over. I suppose the wow factor is fun but I get enough wow just by reading the reviews.

We have never stayed in a RS but frequently stay in Owner Suites, Royal Family Suites (once), Grand Suites and Junior Suites. WE have never paid more than $5,000 in all the years we have cruised. We have noticed within the past year that the prices have increased, so we are booked in JS for the future. If a price drop occur's that is significant or we are offered an upgrade we would accept it, if it is worth it. The key is have a price threshold your comfortable with and stick with it.

A grand suite is your entry level suites, which has all the suite perks. I have one booked for March 2018 for two on harmony. And it cost a little over 6g's including all tax and port and insur. I literally had two years to pay it off when I booked. No where near your price!!