Liberty Voom sucks

Hi everyone,

This post is specifically about the VOOM internet on Liberty of the Seas because I inundated this board with questions prior to sailing last week.

Now that I'm armed with an actual opinion based upon experience I thought I would share.

First of all I was on the Galveston, Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Galveston itinerary.

I purchased both types of VOOM packages. For my son I purchased the basic surf-the-web-only package which he used exclusively on his iPhone 6. For myself, I purchased the more expensive surf and stream package which I used on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 primarily for texting and checking news bites during the day and would then switch to using my Microsoft Surface 3 tablet in the evening for Skyping with my better half who remained in Houston, TX.

Day 1 - just left Galveston: Texting was basically immediate and Skyping was glitch free

Day 2 - at sea: Texting was immediate, Skyping was good

Day 3 - at sea; Texting took 15-20 seconds to send, Skyping was fine - few freeze issues and some pixilating but definitely doable

Day 4 - Roatan, Honduras: Texting was a little slower in the morning (about 1 minute to send/receive. Upon returning to the ship at 4:30 there was zero service until 11:23 at night at which point in time I had a few text messages arrive. Prior to that I couldn't text or Skype - didn't try Skyping that late at night so can't say if that started working at that time.

Day 5 - Costa Maya: Texting was okay in the morning (15 - 20 seconds to send). Upon returning to the ship there was no service until ~9pm at night after which time text messages were taking between 15 and 30 minutes to send. Couldn't Skype.

Day 6 - Cozumel: Texting was fine in the morning. Upon returning to ship, texting was fine but internet connection was not strong enough to maintain a Skype connection so we finally gave up.

Day 7 - at sea: Texting and Skyping were great. Even used my phone around the Flowrider to Skype my sister in Canada and a great connection.

So overall, my impression was that the entire experience was painful and extremely overpriced for what you are getting. I don't know if the Skyping would have worked on my son's phone with the basic package because I didn't ask him to try it.

Also, and maybe I'm the only idiot out there who did NOT know this, but I thought that if I disabled my phones 4G data capabilities, so that it would only work when connected to WiFi, that I had covered my bases regarding having any additional charges. I was VERY wrong. I just received a bill from AT&T with $115 in text message charges ($0.50/text sent). Apparently only iphones use WiFi to imessage and my phone was still using towers (what towers? Where were they? I don't understand!).

It seems that if I had connected to Facebook and messaged within that app, I wouldn't have had a problem. Or I could have added an international cruising texting package to my AT&T account prior to sailing that would have cost me $60/100 messages. But since I did neither of those things I ended up with a texting bill of $115 - in addition to the $140 I gave to RCCL for their subpar internet service in the first place. :mad::mad::(

Oh well, lessons learned. I've booked on Harmony of the seas for October 2017 and I'll go on that cruise a little older and a little wiser :cool:

... Also, and maybe I'm the only idiot out there who did NOT know this, but I thought that if I disabled my phones 4G data capabilities, so that it would only work when connected to WiFi, that I had covered my bases regarding having any additional charges. I was VERY wrong. I just received a bill from AT&T with $115 in text message charges ($0.50/text sent). Apparently only iphones use WiFi to imessage and my phone was still using towers (what towers? Where were they? I don't understand!)....

The ship has a cell tower that connects phones at sea to the cell network via satellite.

One way to ensure no cell carrier charges is to put the phone into Airplane mode and then turn on WiFi.

Hi there,

Yes I did initially turn on Airplane mode but then none of my messages were going through so I thought I had somehow messed up my Wi-Fi by doing that.

The problem was that my messages weren't going via Wi-Fi and I didn't know that. Now, for the future, I know to turn on Airplane mode, connect to Wi-Fi and use something like Facebook instant messaging to send messages. Problem solved and A $115 lesson learned :(

Hi there,

Yes I did initially turn on Airplane mode but then none of my messages were going through so I thought I had somehow messed up my Wi-Fi by doing that.

The problem was that my messages weren't going via Wi-Fi and I didn't know that. Now, for the future, I know to turn on Airplane mode, connect to Wi-Fi and use something like Facebook instant messaging to send messages. Problem solved and A $115 lesson learned :(

Other internet based texting apps work too, such as WhatsApp and iMessage.

Hi there,

Just for future reference, traditional text messaging is called Short Message Service (SMS) and is cellular provider only. As was mentioned already, your text messages were going through the international roaming provider on the ship and I guess on the islands as well, and that's why you were getting charged.

Now, if your cellular provider offers "Wi-Fi Calling", it may be possible to send SMS messages over Wi-Fi. Verizon Wireless, for example, allows this. When I'm connected to the ship's Wi-Fi, it is sometimes (depending on the quality of the internet connection onboard) possible for me not only to send and receive text messages over the Wi-Fi connection (and not be hit with international roaming charges), but also make telephone calls to loved ones at home.

Other providers offer different levels of Wi-Fi Calling services. If I remember correctly, Sprint provides such functionality for calling, but text messages still go over cellular. (It's been a while since I looked into Sprint's Wi-Fi capabilities, so this may have since changed.)

You can't blame VOOM if texting didn't work since that doesn't go through VOOM.

Was the weather bad? Heavy rain will interrupt satellite signals preventing internet access from working.

True, now that you mention it the messaging was not going through VOOM. However, I also did some surfing of the web and it took upwards of a couple of minutes for cnn to load enough that you could actually click on the stories. And the Skyping goes through Wi-Fi and, as I mentioned, there were two days when there was literally zero service for hours. We had gorgeous weather for the entire trip.

I'm not saying it was completely worthless - albeit, at times it was - I'm more pointing out that it is NOT anything like high-speed, more like dial-up and they shouldn't be claiming it to be high-speed (in my opinion).

Just for future reference, traditional text messaging is called Short Message Service (SMS) and is cellular provider only. As was mentioned already, your text messages were going through the international roaming provider on the ship and I guess on the islands as well, and that's why you were getting charged.

Now, if your cellular provider offers "Wi-Fi Calling", it may be possible to send SMS messages over Wi-Fi. Verizon Wireless, for example, allows this. When I'm connected to the ship's Wi-Fi, it is sometimes (depending on the quality of the internet connection onboard) possible for me not only to send and receive text messages over the Wi-Fi connection (and not be hit with international roaming charges), but also make telephone calls to loved ones at home.

Other providers offer different levels of Wi-Fi Calling services. If I remember correctly, Sprint provides such functionality for calling, but text messages still go over cellular. (It's been a while since I looked into Sprint's Wi-Fi capabilities, so this may have since changed.)

I have T-Mobile. I was able to make a phone call on the Oasis over WiFi calling with incurring any additional charges. On the Freedom I was able to send a text message without occurring an additional charge. The weird thing is, the phone old me it will use my location for billing purposes. I am not sure if maybe thats boilerplate in iOS or if thats T-Mobile sending the message and not actually billing me.

True, now that you mention it the messaging was not going through VOOM. However, I also did some surfing of the web and it took upwards of a couple of minutes for cnn to load enough that you could actually click on the stories. And the Skyping goes through Wi-Fi and, as I mentioned, there were two days when there was literally zero service for hours. We had gorgeous weather for the entire trip.

I'm not saying it was completely worthless - albeit, at times it was - I'm more pointing out that it is NOT anything like high-speed, more like dial-up and they shouldn't be claiming it to be high-speed (in my opinion).

When we were on Freedom, they hadn't done the VOOM upgrade and the service was virtually unusable. The 2G cell service I got on the islands worked better than the WiFi on the ship. T-Mobile has free 2G data in like 120 countries with quasi-reasonable voice and SMS rates.

As previously noted, iMessage will allow for texts to be sent over WiFi; but only between iPhones. Other phones can do it using WhatsApp or other third-party apps but everybody involved has to have the app too.

One other issue with satellite connections is that sometimes the ship is just out of position relative to the satellites and you are going to be SOL at those times. No way around that, really, I guess until somebody decides its worth the money to shoot a bunch more satellites into orbit.

I had a lengthy chat convo with AT&T last week about this. My iPhone is set to use WiFi calling/messaging. We will utilize Facebook Messenger for all calls and messages while picking up WiFi in port. That will avoid the international fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This post is specifically about the VOOM internet on Liberty of the Seas because I inundated this board with questions prior to sailing last week.

I'm not sure what threads you were reading but on most them you should have been told to expect what you experienced, non O3B internet with poor performance. The total outages on days 4 and 5 are probably just anomalies.

Also, I've been mentioning this for a while: practice your Internet use on the cruise before you leave - try using WiFi only at home to make sure everything works.

I had the upgraded VOOM on Liberty the first week of August. I have an iPhone. I put it on airplane mode and had wi-fi calling enabled. Not only was I able to send text messages, but I also called my parents when I found out our itinerary was changing due to hurricane Earl. That's right I made a phone call in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. The connection was perfect with no delay. I do not have an international plan, and I was in airplane mode. I just got my bill, and no extra charges. I was beyond pleased with the VOOM internet on the Liberty!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I text a lot on the ship's wifi to my kids at home. Never a charge. Airplane mode is on.

Not going to name CC member, but he is currently on Liberty and in the RS. He was invited to dine with an officer and he specifically addressed the internet issue. This is his post from Facebook after eating with the IT manager:

"Liberty is the only Freedom Class ship that doesn't have O3B satellite dishes and there are no plans for her to get real Voom due to the lack of satellite coverage in the western Carib."

TMobile has offered this service for years as well. If you are connected to Wi-Fi you get free calling and text messages that don't hit your phone plans/data. That said, with TMo that doesn't even matter as you get free 3G speed data and texting in foreign countries now as well. Phone calls over cell coverage is 20 cents a minute or something like that. No need to buy a package, just included. It's great.

TMobile has offered this service for years as well. If you are connected to Wi-Fi you get free calling and text messages that don't hit your phone plans/data. That said, with TMo that doesn't even matter as you get free 3G speed data and texting in foreign countries now as well. Phone calls over cell coverage is 20 cents a minute or something like that. No need to buy a package, just included. It's great.

I second that based on my T-mobile's Simple Choice plan.

Not going to name CC member, but he is currently on Liberty and in the RS. He was invited to dine with an officer and he specifically addressed the internet issue. This is his post from Facebook after eating with the IT manager:

"Liberty is the only Freedom Class ship that doesn't have O3B satellite dishes and there are no plans for her to get real Voom due to the lack of satellite coverage in the western Carib."

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/technology/service-coverage/

That seems odd. I was just on the Freedom, which does Western Caribbean, has O3B Voom, and the speed from Grand Cayman, to Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel was very good -- good enough to stream Netflix with no problem.

Here is the data for the speedtest I did two weeks ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1_emBH29ux0O9p3FXsbyf0fXiHrs

Click a marker -- Ping, download and upload speed is shown.

mac_tlc

That seems odd. I was just on the Freedom, which does Western Caribbean, has O3B Voom, and the speed from Grand Cayman, to Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel was very good -- good enough to stream Netflix with no problem. ...

I agree. Freedom, Oasis, and Allure all travel to the Western Carib and have O3b internet. I've not heard of any coverage issues there.

So for an iPhone with AT&T service I just need to put it into airplan mode and enable wifi? Do I need to turn off data? Turn off international data? I too paid for the ships plan and also had to pay roaming/international charges to AT&T. I just want to pay for 1 service, not 2! Help me please to know exactly what settings to change. Thank you!!!

So for an iPhone with AT&T service I just need to put it into airplan mode and enable wifi? Do I need to turn off data? Turn off international data? I too paid for the ships plan and also had to pay roaming/international charges to AT&T. I just want to pay for 1 service, not 2! Help me please to know exactly what settings to change. Thank you!!!

Correct, and Airplane mode disables all cellular data.

Yes, put on airplane mode. If you go to settings and scroll down to phone, you can turn on wi-fi calling. I always have it on because I don't have good cell service at my house. This changed my life - now my phone works at my house. The phone will say wi-fi in the upper left next to AT&T. When on the cruise, make sure you're in airplane mode. Then you can basically use your phone just like at home - text, make phone calls. It's amazing. And no data or roaming charges.

Sent from my iPad using Forums