Average amount of tips above gratuities

If you are pleased with the service of your room attendant and your main dining room wait staff, how much do you tip above the prepaid gratuities? Thank you in advance for your response!

This should be "If you are pleased with the service of your room attendant and your main dining room wait staff, how much do you tip above the Guest paid wages.

If RCL did not pay slave wages then gratuities would mean what they are supposed be a thank you, job well done.

zero. everything i do already has the gratuities paid for so there is no reason to add to it. i expect to be pleased with the service that i have tipped on so no need to add more to it. can't think of anything they could legally do to make me 'super' pleased to the point of paying more.

We bring dollar bills to tip the bar staff.

When I walk up to a bar I lay my Sail & Sign card

down with a dollar bill on top of it and I seem to get better

service & sometimes a better pour.

Since I tend to frequent the same bar(s), the

bartender(s) are happy to see me.

During the "returning passenger parties",

tipping gets us extra rounds of the freebie drinks.

If you are pleased with the service of your room attendant and your main dining room wait staff, how much do you tip above the prepaid gratuities? Thank you in advance for your response!

Ktkcruisers, reasonable question. So far seems like a lot of people who hate tipping to begin with answered. Best answer "what ever you feel they deserve." We have almost always added to the tip. But we ask for different things. If the crewmember does the minimum, then no additional. If they go above and beyond, then additional. Only YOU can decide if the service was "above and beyond." We do ask for some things like ice twice a day, etc. Usually we add $20-$40 to the cabin steward, same to waiters. But we've done more and less. You'll know if you think someone deserves additional tip. You'll also know how much you want to tip. Don't let anyone talk you out of it because they want to feel better for never adding to the tip. These people work very hard for very little money.

How much did you tip above the prepaid gratuities in the past during the multiple sailings that appear in your signature????

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It depends on how good the service is. On RCCL we tipped our cabin steward some extra, but not our service team in the MDR. She was good, they were not and the begging for giving them high scores on the card got old the minute it began.

We have given as much as an additional $200 to a bartender who took exceptional care of us on Windstar and as little as whatever is "required" or auto-charged. On our first DCL cruise we doubled the suggested for the MDR service team. On our second DCL cruise they got the auto-charged and nothing more.

We even tipped one server on the sly on the PG where tips are all included (as are most beverages and all dining) because he was a joy.

We always tip the folks in the alternate restaurants, how much depends on the quality of service provided. Same thing with spa and salon, starting at 10% of the cost of treatment and going to 20% or even a bit more for fantastic service and skills.

My rule of thumb is that everyone gets the suggested or auto charged minimum, and reward those who you feel are exceptional with what you feel is an appropriate amount.

The whole gratuity thing is really getting totally out of hand......there seems to be no limit to the amount of money people want to throw at the staff - well if they enjoy that - go ahead!

I also agree with you.This is your money,feel free to throw as much money as you want to the crew.:)

The employee would really have to impress my DH to get an additional tip.

Yup, last cruise only "2" got something extra.

Well, we did tip the concierges in addition.

He wishes he could divide the prepaid gratuities how he feels just, and yea I do to.

Safe travels.

strictly a personal decision and I would never disclose that information. that being said, recently I have not felt they deserved any more than the daily charges in the first place.

there are of course, people not included in the daily charge that do receive some sort of tip/gratuity from us and that ranges from $1-100 depending on the service received.

Since we normally eat only a few meals in MDR we do not tip them extra, we do tip specialty restaurants 10 a seating. If we were happy with room attendant we tip 40 or 60 extra. But this is your choice, some will give no extra some large amounts. We also bring 50 or so in 1's to tip bartenders and they do remember

Why are people on these boards obsessed with what other people tip?

Why do you think that? Why don't you think that maybe the OP wants to be sure they are doing the right thing, maybe they are young, maybe it's a first cruise, maybe tips are foreign to them. I know there have been times in my life that I would have like to have been able to ask someone "hey, am I supposed to tip these people?" or "How much is appropriate?" when it comes to delivery people, holiday tips, etc. Heck I still don't know if I am supposed to tip the Uber drivers!

Tipping truly varies greatly. You have some people who are really cheap and remove their prepaid gratuities, and others who tip like drunken sailors. Anything you feel is fair over and above the prepaid gratuities will be appreciated by the recipient.

On my first cruise, I gave 50 extra to the cabin steward, 30 each to the waiter & assistant waiter.

This past cruise, 25 for the cabin steward (while very good he wasn't as exceptional as the lady we had the first time), 40 to our waiter, and 20 to the assistant waiter. Our waiter was outrageously good.

I tipped an extra dollar on bar drinks.

Do whatever feels right & comfortable for you. :)

Why do you think that? Why don't you think that maybe the OP wants to be sure they are doing the right thing, maybe they are young, maybe it's a first cruise, maybe tips are foreign to them. I know there have been times in my life that I would have like to have been able to ask someone "hey, am I supposed to tip these people?" or "How much is appropriate?" when it comes to delivery people, holiday tips, etc. Heck I still don't know if I am supposed to tip the Uber drivers!

Their signature indicates they have been on many cruises.

But yeah, the whole tipping thing is confusing with the arbitrary "rules".

The guy that unplugs the toilet at 3 AM....the girls that answer the phones...no tip. Why? They don't work hard? They aren't away from their families? Or my favorite, they don't appreciate cash?