Ports... what to take off ship

Ryansdaddy

SUNSCREEN

tote bag

each port has their own criteria regarding what ID you need to get back on board. the daily activity sheet left on your cabin the night before explains it. we personally always bring our full passport. others will tell you to leave it behind and just bring a color copy of it. still others will tell you to not bother and just bring your ship card and your DL.

SUNSCREEN

anything else you may want for the specific excursion you are doing.

any foodstuffs must be factory sealed items ONLY.

What items do I need to get back on the ship when we port? should you take your passport with you? What other items?

I would take a form of photo ID in addition to your ship card. Cash and a credit card too.

I would also take your daily schedule, which should have contact info for the port agent, should you need their help.

In your daily newsetter you get in your cabin - make sure to take the section with the port agent information or use your phone and take a picture. Just in case you need to contact them if something happens while you are off the ship.

Have fun on your first cruise!!!

Thanks! We were intending on taking our passports with us each time we get off ship but if we only need our DL that would be a little easier. I will study the schedule and verify each time. Thanks for the advice on bringing the schedule with us too.

Some cruise lines take, and keep, your passport for the entire cruise, so if they know you won't need your passport, you really won't need it off the ship unless a country requires it. If you're cruising the Caribbean, I've not been on any island there that requires a passport, and I've been to nearly every island.

You will need a government issued photo ID and your ship card to get off the ship and return back. Children 16 and older will also need a photo ID.

DH takes a back pack -- camera goes in there. If there is a chance of rain -- small portable umbrellas go in there as well.

Each of us have a small card holder that we can put in our pockets -- ship's ID card, driver's license, credit card with a small limit, cash (lots of ones and fives -- don't want to get back a lot of foreign money).

If you book an excursion (through ship or privately) it should tell you what you need for it.

But in general....

Driver's License

Ship Card

1 credit card

small amount of cash (unless more is needed for planned activities)

camera

sun glasses

Sometimes that is all. Depends on length and activities on excursion. Other times I will add sun screen, bug spray, towel, change of clothes, water bottle, hat, etc.

Take whatever you need for the excursion or activity you'll do!

If shopping, take money and credit cards!

If swimming, wear a suit under clothes of some sort and bring a towel! And, sunscreen! Whatever things you'd take for a beach day.

If hiking, proper shoes!

If simply touring, then you really don't need much!

You can't leave the ship without your room key...and you can't reboard without it, either! You should always have ID on you...and your DL is the same size as your key...easier to carry. Cruise passengers (in the Caribbean) do NOT need passports ashore at all!

Edited by cb at sea

SUNSCREEN

tote bag

each port has their own criteria regarding what ID you need to get back on board. the daily activity sheet left on your cabin the night before explains it. we personally always bring our full passport. others will tell you to leave it behind and just bring a color copy of it. still others will tell you to not bother and just bring your ship card and your DL.

SUNSCREEN

anything else you may want for the specific excursion you are doing.

any foodstuffs must be factory sealed items ONLY.

I also take my passport. I've never even come close to missing the ship, but if were to happen, my DL isn't going to get me home. :p

Thanks! We were intending on taking our passports with us each time we get off ship but if we only need our DL that would be a little easier. I will study the schedule and verify each time. Thanks for the advice on bringing the schedule with us too.

I don't bring the daily with me--I take a photo of the port agent information, just in case. I also snap a shot of the time I need to be back on board to make sure there's no question about it.

Passports are worth a lot of money on the black market, so be extra careful if you take it ashore. Our captain advised everyone to take the place of issue and passport number, so we take a photocopy so that the consulate can check for a new passport.

Captains also say that they try to empty your safe of all contents if you miss the ship, and hand them to the Port Agent, so keep a credit card in your safe, if you have a couple, and you're taking one ashore.

I would take a form of photo ID in addition to your ship card. Cash and a credit card too.

I would also take your daily schedule, which should have contact info for the port agent, should you need their help.

Yep.

I leave the newsletter on the ship but note the details of the ships agent.

Ask any crew member if they take their passport off the ship and you'll hear a big NO (unless it is a port that mandates carrying it). Likewise, with very few exceptions, international business travelers will agree: "don't carry it."

Note too that most premium and luxury cruise lines actually require you to surrender your passports at embarkation (both as an efficacious administrative function and a security measure).

Note too that most premium and luxury cruise lines actually require you to surrender your passports at embarkation (both as an efficacious administrative function and a security measure).

Does Royal Caribbean do that? I made copies of our passports and my wife and I will just take our drivers liscenses. Our 13 year old son will not have an ID though unless we take his copy of his Passport.

And, bottled water. If it is hot and you are doing a lot of walking you do not want to try and find a street vendor selling water. Who, may have filled the bottles him self the night before. :eek:

Bob

I travel as light as possible. For cities, carried in secure pockets:

- Ship Card

- Passport

- one Credit Card

- local currency

- smartphone

- small refillable tube of sunscreen

For excursions, same as above plus the following in a canvas courier bag:

- water

- rain jacket (if needed)

- travel First Aid Kit

- straw hat

For those that count on their phones to tell them the time: DON'T Cell phones will re-set once they acquire a signal.

My advice is to go to Wally World and buy a cheap water resistant watch for your cruise.

For those that count on their phones to tell them the time: DON'T Cell phones will re-set once they acquire a signal.

My advice is to go to Wally World and buy a cheap water resistant watch for your cruise.

Don't know about other phones but iPhone gives you the settings option to turn off automatic time set.

Confused. Wouldn't you want your phone time to reset to the time in the port you are in?

I would, and I do, have it set to auto. However, others have posted reminders that, on some ships at some times, the ship time may be different than the port time (there will be notices about any difference). Personally, I've never been on a ship that used other than port time.

In any case, if your ship's daily guide says "sailing at 7 PM," it means 7 PM according to whatever time the ship is using. Just make sure you understand any time difference with your phone.