Vancouver Hop on/Hop off

Waco555

My girlfriends and I are taking the one day Princess cruise from Vancouver to Seattle and are arriving in Vancouver the night before. We want to see some of Vancouver the morning before the cruise and I was wondering about doing a hop on/hop off tour. We are staying at the Blue Horizon. Is it feasible to ride to Stanley Park, walk around a bit and then just hop back on and finish the 2 hour tour and get off at Canada Place? Since it is only one night we will just have backpacks for luggage. Can you use the hop on/hop off for transportation to the pier?

Thanks for your help.

Not sure where the Blue Horizon is located. Is it on or near the Hop On/Off bus route?

I see no issue with your plan as long as your only luggage would be backpacks. There would not be room for lots of luggage on the bus, particularly if there were many using it. I have seen many with backpacks on the bus and no one is going to ask you what you are doing with them.

I think Hop On/Off is a great way to see the city on one's own.

Yes, with a but - there are no guaranteed seats once you get off! You may have to wait for a second vehicle to turn up before you can get back on (early May this is less likely, no summer hols so fewer vacationers) but it is possible. I think both HOHOs stop right outside Blue Horizon, and definitely they both stop right at Canada Place.

We stayed at the Blue Horizon after a cruise. I had bought Hoho tickets on Groupon before the cruise. They took us, with luggage a block from the hotel. Used the Hoho for 2days, it was fine.

Did you take the hop on bus to the cruise port?

The HOHOs really aren't designed for luggage, however if it's backpacks that will sit on your lap or under your legs while seated I don't think it will be an issue. The HOHO's really are a great way to see a lot of Vancouver in a short period of time. You will really have to watch your time though, I would suggest that you would want to be at Canada Place a full 3 hrs before the ship's departure time. The Vancover Trolley will pick you in front of the Blue Horizon and will go to Canada Place....you will miss a little bit of the downtown but you really won't miss much.

My girlfriends and I are taking the one day Princess cruise from Vancouver to Seattle and are arriving in Vancouver the night before. We want to see some of Vancouver the morning before the cruise and I was wondering about doing a hop on/hop off tour. We are staying at the Blue Horizon. Is it feasible to ride to Stanley Park, walk around a bit and then just hop back on and finish the 2 hour tour and get off at Canada Place? Since it is only one night we will just have backpacks for luggage. Can you use the hop on/hop off for transportation to the pier?

Thanks for your help.

Thoughts....

• when are you arriving in YVR? Perhaps we can salvage some time from the night for you.
  • I would ask the Blue Horizon to store your luggage for you in the morning to free your time for sightseeing. Perhaps evening catching a early cab to the Capilano Suspension bridge that opens at 9am for an hour or so.
  • what is your PAT time? Some have suggested arriving early afternoon (skipping the welcome meal) to cram in more exploration time.

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

The HOHOs really aren't designed for luggage, however if it's backpacks that will sit on your lap or under your legs while seated I don't think it will be an issue. The HOHO's really are a great way to see a lot of Vancouver in a short period of time. You will really have to watch your time though, I would suggest that you would want to be at Canada Place a full 3 hrs before the ship's departure time. The Vancover Trolley will pick you in front of the Blue Horizon and will go to Canada Place....you will miss a little bit of the downtown but you really won't miss much.

Thanks Putterdude. From the look of the map (Westcoast Sightseeing) Canada Place is stop 3 and the Blue Horizon is stop 5. From there it goes to Stanley Park where we wanted to get off for a while and then just ride the rest of the way around downtown back to Canada Place. The time schedule says it should take 2 hours. The ship leaves at 4:30. We planned to arrive about 1:30-2 hoping all the crowds would be boarded early since it's only a one day cruise. We would rather see a bit of Vancouver than get the free lunch. :) Let me know what you think of this plan.

Map.jpg.d2a3cf40cb11897eef262be5b1750864.jpg

Thoughts....

• when are you arriving in YVR? Perhaps we can salvage some time from the night for you.
  • I would ask the Blue Horizon to store your luggage for you in the morning to free your time for sightseeing. Perhaps evening catching a early cab to the Capilano Suspension bridge that opens at 9am for an hour or so.
  • what is your PAT time? Some have suggested arriving early afternoon (skipping the welcome meal) to cram in more exploration time.

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks xlxo. We are arriving by Bolt Bus (trying to make this an inexpensive girls trip since the cruise was only $49!) arriving at the Main St. Central Station at 5pm. We planned on a cab to the Blue Horizon since we are splitting 3 ways it will be almost as cheap as the metro. After we check in we planned to have dinner downtown and just settle in. Is the area around the Blue Horizon safe at night? We are 3 women in our 60's. Then in the morning we thought we would just do the Hop on-Hop off tour and see some of Stanley Park. One friend has walking difficulty so I think the bridge would be too much for her. Then get back on the hop on to just tour the city and be dropped off at Canada place about 2 to embark for a 4:30 departure. What do you think?

Thanks Putterdude. From the look of the map (Westcoast Sightseeing) Canada Place is stop 3 and the Blue Horizon is stop 5. From there it goes to Stanley Park where we wanted to get off for a while and then just ride the rest of the way around downtown back to Canada Place. The time schedule says it should take 2 hours. The ship leaves at 4:30. We planned to arrive about 1:30-2 hoping all the crowds would be boarded early since it's only a one day cruise. We would rather see a bit of Vancouver than get the free lunch. :) Let me know what you think of this plan.

Your plan should work, just watch the volume of traffic and your time. If you do get stranded somewhere and time is getting short a cab fare from most areas covered by the HOHOs to Canada Place is only $10 to $15. Oh, there us no free lunch, it's a prepaid lunch.:)

Thanks xlxo. We are arriving by Bolt Bus (trying to make this an inexpensive girls trip since the cruise was only $49!) arriving at the Main St. Central Station at 5pm. We planned on a cab to the Blue Horizon since we are splitting 3 ways it will be almost as cheap as the metro. After we check in we planned to have dinner downtown and just settle in. Is the area around the Blue Horizon safe at night? We are 3 women in our 60's. Then in the morning we thought we would just do the Hop on-Hop off tour and see some of Stanley Park. One friend has walking difficulty so I think the bridge would be too much for her. Then get back on the hop on to just tour the city and be dropped off at Canada place about 2 to embark for a 4:30 departure. What do you think?

Personally, I think you are cutting it very close. You need to verify when you have to be on board the ship. I know on Royal Caribbean, you need to be checked in and on board 90 minutes before sailing and, I think, some ports are 2 hours before sailing. You need to find out what the rules are with Princess.

As far as the HOHO, they leave Canada Place usually full, so to get on at a stop before Stanley Park is going to be difficult. I would verify with Westcoast Sightseeing to see if they leave full or if they leave a few seats for the early stops. Buses later in the day won't be leaving Canada Place full, but there will be a line of people at Canada Place, boarding the bus, trying to do the same thing you are. Once you get off in Stanley Park, getting back on might take a bus or two.

Not sure when your cruise is, but if it is one of the cruises early in the season or late in the season, there will be less buses running so the ones that are running, are very full.

The ship leaves at 4:30. We planned to arrive about 1:30-2 hoping all the crowds would be boarded early since it's only a one day cruise. We would rather see a bit of Vancouver than get the free lunch. :) Let me know what you think of this plan.

We're on the same cruise, I think. Is it the Crown?

Being at the cruise terminal around 1:30-2 will be a good time for a Princess cruise. If you go too early you'll have to wait to board. If you wait much later you may be in line behind all the people who came up from Seattle on the Princess transfer buses. Might as well take advantage of the time to take a look around Vancouver.

I know when I did the HOHO in San Francisco they allowed me to store my luggage on the lower level where a wheelchair or bike might go. Don't know about Vancouver HOHO.

Edited by idahospud

On embarkation day... they accept luggage around 10am. Once your checked luggage is dropped off.... go ahead and explore the city for a few hours your PAT time.

On debarkation..... CDS baggage (next to car rentals) can hold your luggage for you until 4pm while you are exploring the city. CDS also offers a $40 transfer service (for 4 bags) where your luggage can be delivered to the airport or your fav hotel.... this allows you more time to explore the city.

The OP has indicated that their luggage will only be a back pack each, there is absolutely no need for them to go to Canada Place and check their luggage at 1000 or anytime for that matter. They plan to end their HOHO excursion at Canada Place and walk on the ship with their back packs and will be disembarking the ship in Seattle so have no need for CDS.

True.... my previous response was not for the OP.... It was for idahospud's luggage.

I know when I did the HOHO in San Francisco they allowed me to store my luggage on the lower level where a wheelchair or bike might go. Don't know about Vancouver HOHO.
Edited by xlxo

We are interested in doing the Capilano Suspension bridge tour does anyone know how long it take to get there from downtown . Is this something that can be done in a couple of hours or is it a all day tour ?

We are interested in doing the Capilano Suspension bridge tour does anyone know how long it take to get there from downtown . Is this something that can be done in a couple of hours or is it a all day tour ?

It's traffic-dependent, but should be rarely more than 45mins to get there (depends which shuttle stop you get on at). A couple of hours at the bridge should be plenty for most. Call it about three hours or so for the whole 'get there, do it, get back' experience.

If you mean one of the guided tours that includes Cap, they're longer - incorporating either a city tour or a Grouse Mountain stop as well, or even all of the above, at least five hours (although we do have nice long evenings through cruise season, so you would still have time to see and do stuff after).

In addition to the 45 minutes travel time.... budget 90 minutes at Capilano.

Double that if you are arriving on a busy long weekend where they can be 30 minute lines each for the bridge and cliff walk experiences. There can also be long lines for the free shuttles on those weekends.

Going early in the morning or late afternoon has those crowds thinning out.

As martincath suggest, I do recommend considering a Grouse bundle to make it a full afternoon or day trip. Grouse is just 10 minutes away to the North.

[YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]RJZcYalXkPg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]zutUe_0X3PA[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

• 2 weeks later...

Hhhhm we arrive in Vancouver at airport at 10:30Am then dropping our luggage at hotel so we don't have to lug it. Then we have the foodie tour at 2 was hoping to get the bridge in there but sounds too rushed. Thoughts?

Hhhhm we arrive in Vancouver at airport at 10:30Am then dropping our luggage at hotel so we don't have to lug it. Then we have the foodie tour at 2 was hoping to get the bridge in there but sounds too rushed. Thoughts?

Depends upon your stamina, I would check the CSB shuttle sked and see if it works for you. You need to allow 30/40 mins in either direction from downtown and you would want a minimum of a full 2 hrs at the CSB to get value from the visit. If the shuttle sked doesn't work the CSB is accessible by transit.