Help for first timers

As a gift for a significant birthday, my Dad is taking my Mum on a Mediterranean cruise on Navigator in May. They are first time cruisers and are not sure what to expect. I have only cruised once and that was on Celebrity so I can' really fill them in on how things work on Regent. Just wondering if you could give some insight in to just that- How things work!

They are open to meeting new people and wondered about dining assignments. Is it all free seating or can you request to be seated at a table with a larger group? In regard to dress code, they know that evenings are smart and no jeans zone but are there any specific formal evenings? They haven't booked any shore excursions in advance- will they be able to book on board?

And lastly (and perhaps most importantly in my mother's case!!)- it says on the website that there are hairdryers in the cabins but when my mother phoned Regent to make some enquiries, she was told that this wasn't the case. Can anyone clarify if there are hairdryers in the cabins?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :-)

We are on the Mariner now. Yes, there are hair dryers in the cabin. You can request a shared table when you arrive to be seated. There are no formal nights. Sometimes there is formal optional but you can still wear what you like as long as it fits into the dress code. Many men wear a jacket on formal optional nights. This is usually longer cruises.

Hope this help. Tell them to enjoy the treat they have ahead of them.

We also took our first cruise (ever) on the Mariner in the Med and didn't really know what to expect! We knew what we didn't want - queueing, tipping, paying for every drink, lots of noisy announcements - and what we did - great food, friendly passengers, genuinely helpful service. And that is exactly what Regent provided!

You can book excursions onboard but part of the fun is researching and booking them online or via your TA.

Similarly it's worth reserving tables in the specialty dining rooms because although the food in the Main Dining Room is great, it's nice to have a change of venue and ambience.

I'm sure they'll have a great time!

Edited by rarin2go
afterthought

I noticed people seemed to dress up more for the specialities. I also recommend pre booking for specialities although, if your parents are willing to share that makes getting a table whilst on board easier and some people like to check out the other offerings first in case they are are missing something amazing in the main dining room. If they like Italian we really enjoyed Sette Mari which is what the Veranda turns into at night.

I would do some research with them for the tours as some do sell out and at least book some before boarding and have an idea of others they would like to do. We found some of the walking tours were good and others not so but they can always duck out and do their own thing (just let the tour guide know).

I am sure they will have an amazing time :D

If it's important, I would warn her that the hairdryers supplied are certainly not turbo. I manage, with a lot of complaining, but need to allow more time. I once asked for a more efficient dryer but was told they are all the same. And that has been my experience on 3 different cruise lines. But they should have a great time.

Best Tip -- ENJOY!!!

We two are first timers and I have just read the last three reviews in the review section and they are horrible! We have a deposit on the Canada/New England cruise on the Mariner this fall and now are leery about going. :cool:

Can some seasoned Regent cruisers go in there are read these reviews and tell us what you think? We'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

We two are first timers and I have just read the last three reviews in the review section and they are horrible! We have a deposit on the Canada/New England cruise on the Mariner this fall and now are leery about going. :cool:

Can some seasoned Regent cruisers go in there are read these reviews and tell us what you think? We'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I don't know if I'm considered 'seasoned' or not, my wife and I have been on 6 previous cruises (five on Regent) with another one upcoming and one in the planning stages. My take on those reviews are that they were more upset with the ports and the mechanical issues (understandable) than the cruise line itself. Many of the other reviews were more positive, so you need to balance out the pro/con of an online forum. Remember, people are more likely to complain than praise.

On our previous Regent cruises, we've been to a few ports that were less than picturesque - okay, downright industrial - but once you get out of the port, it's much nicer. I'm trying to imagine being in one of those for 4 or 5 days while they repaired the ship, and yeah - I'd be upset, too. But again, it pays to know what ports you're sailing into and have a realistic expectation. A working port in South America ain't gonna look as nice as a semi-tropical harbor in the Mediterranean.

As to the condition of the ship, the lumps under the carpet might bug me, but not enough to ruin a cruise. And the carpet coming loose? Tell you steward to have maintenance glue it back up. Again, I wouldn't let something that trivial ruin my vacation. I'll refrain from any comments about the newly married husband crying in his cabin on a luxury cruise ship...

Also, all three of the current Regent ships are due for drydocks this year so all of the soft goods will be replaced. I'm sure that the entire fleet will be gorgeous by year's end.

I've previously read negative reviews on cruises I've been on, and to tell the truth, from reading them I'd have sworn we were on different ships. I've had some minor issues with Regent over the years (mostly from their shore reps, the crews on board have been consistently great in my experience) but overall I can and do recommend Regent to my friends and family.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks.

We understand that Mariner did have some significant issues in South America earlier this year which were reflected in the reviews you have read.

The following blog was from the same cruise and may give you more in-depth information on what happened and how the issues were handled:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2319597

The following more recent blogs/reviews indicate that Mariner has recovered from the difficulties earlier this year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2334584

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2332665

But of course cruising always comes with the warning "ship happens", and it is up to individual guests as to how they react to any issues that may occur and how much any problems impact on their enjoyment of the vacation.

Personally we have always enjoyed cruising with Regent (Mariner is our favourite) and have always found that Regent staff always make their best endeavours to correct any issues (large or small) that we bring to their attention.

We understand that Mariner did have some significant issues in South America earlier this year which were reflected in the reviews you have read.

The following blog was from the same cruise and may give you more in-depth information on what happened and how the issues were handled:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2319597

The following more recent blogs/reviews indicate that Mariner has recovered from the difficulties earlier this year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2334584

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2332665

But of course cruising always comes with the warning "ship happens", and it is up to individual guests as to how they react to any issues that may occur and how much any problems impact on their enjoyment of the vacation.

Personally we have always enjoyed cruising with Regent (Mariner is our favourite) and have always found that Regent staff always make their best endeavours to correct any issues (large or small) that we bring to their attention.

Thanks! I am hopeful again.:)

I don't know if I'm considered 'seasoned' or not, my wife and I have been on 6 previous cruises (five on Regent) with another one upcoming and one in the planning stages. My take on those reviews are that they were more upset with the ports and the mechanical issues (understandable) than the cruise line itself. Many of the other reviews were more positive, so you need to balance out the pro/con of an online forum. Remember, people are more likely to complain than praise.

On our previous Regent cruises, we've been to a few ports that were less than picturesque - okay, downright industrial - but once you get out of the port, it's much nicer. I'm trying to imagine being in one of those for 4 or 5 days while they repaired the ship, and yeah - I'd be upset, too. But again, it pays to know what ports you're sailing into and have a realistic expectation. A working port in South America ain't gonna look as nice as a semi-tropical harbor in the Mediterranean.

As to the condition of the ship, the lumps under the carpet might bug me, but not enough to ruin a cruise. And the carpet coming loose? Tell you steward to have maintenance glue it back up. Again, I wouldn't let something that trivial ruin my vacation. I'll refrain from any comments about the newly married husband crying in his cabin on a luxury cruise ship...

Also, all three of the current Regent ships are due for drydocks this year so all of the soft goods will be replaced. I'm sure that the entire fleet will be gorgeous by year's end.

I've previously read negative reviews on cruises I've been on, and to tell the truth, from reading them I'd have sworn we were on different ships. I've had some minor issues with Regent over the years (mostly from their shore reps, the crews on board have been consistently great in my experience) but overall I can and do recommend Regent to my friends and family.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes this helps a lot. Did you see in one of those reviews where the poster said that the specialty restaurant was at least as good as Celebrity used to be?

Wow! They've got to be referring to Celebrity back when the Horizon, Galaxy, Century and Mercury were still sailing. To me, the food went downhill when their executive chef left but it is still good. I would think Regent would now have it all over what Celebrity has to offer.

Yes this helps a lot. Did you see in one of those reviews where the poster said that the specialty restaurant was at least as good as Celebrity used to be?

Wow! They've got to be referring to Celebrity back when the Horizon, Galaxy, Century and Mercury were still sailing. To me, the food went downhill when their executive chef left but it is still good. I would think Regent would now have it all over what Celebrity has to offer.

What 'Celebrity used to be' must be a long time ago. On our recent Celebrity cruise in their suite class the food was not nearly as good as the food we have always had on Regent.

What 'Celebrity used to be' must be a long time ago. On our recent Celebrity cruise in their suite class the food was not nearly as good as the food we have always had on Regent.

At least 15 years ago or more. You wouldn't believe what a difference between back then and the food now on Celebrity. '

I still think that Celebrity comes up with some very good dishes but it just doesn't compare to back in the day.

In addition, we've been on Crystal twice now and really enjoyed the dinners and the specialty restaurant.

I hope Regent is better than all the other lines. I say this because it is so pricey in comparison. I know excursions are included also which is good and if I am correct, one of the big differences between Crystal and Regent.

I hope Regent is better than all the other lines. I say this because it is so pricey in comparison.

Funny, but whenever I price cruises between Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, etc. they always seem to be pretty close in price when you take into account all of the associated costs. Some are more, some are less, but overall I haven't seen a huge difference in price.

Funny, but whenever I price cruises between Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, etc. they always seem to be pretty close in price when you take into account all of the associated costs. Some are more, some are less, but overall I haven't seen a huge difference in price.

I have never been on Seabourn but looks like they are comparable to Regent as far as costs. I found that Crystal is more reasonable though except if you book a lot of excursions with the cruise line.

BTW I would love to go on Seabourn but what turned me off was that they say their dinner doesn't start until 7:30 PM in all restaurants. Not sure if that's true but I called also and their rep said it was.

We have cruised on Regent twice, and are going again in August. Even if things are a bit less luxurious and pampered as they have been in the past, you parents have nothing to compare them to, so they will feel like royalty. And they will be spoiled from going on any other cruise line.

As far as meeting new people, they will meet as many as they want. Breakfast is a buffet, but you can also order made to order specialty meals like omelets or pancakes. They will most likely have to join others at larger tables on port days as everyone gets to breakfast early so that they are ready to get off of the ship when they need to.

On our Regent cruises we were already our own large group of 7 or 8, so we didn't need to be seated with anyone else at meal times or team trivia (tell them not to miss afternoon tea followed by team trivia and then bingo), but just wandering around the ship, stopping for a drink or a snack, playing the goofy games offered on days at sea, and sitting for long periods of time on buses to shore excursions they will have the chance to meet and visit with other people on the ship.

Also, the first or second night there is a block party (it might happen later on longer sailings) where everyone comes out of their cabins with champagne glasses, and the crew comes through to meet everyone. This is the best time to get to know your neighbors. On our first trip the man across the hall was from the same town as me and worked with a friend of mine. Small world.

As far as shore excursions go, they definitely should book something for each day before sailing. Just go online and have them choose from the free/included ones. You can even take care of this for them, if you get their login info. They won't be stuck actually doing what they have signed up for. People are constantly changing and swapping tours every day, and the staff at the shore excursion desk are both knowledgeable and patient.

I glance at the negative reviews and that is about all the notice I give them.

Now to really enjoy the trip, give your parents ideas of things to do like: order room service coffee for the morning while getting ready; when on board for trivia be sure to go and find some other passengers to form a team; figure out what will be happening on a Sunday so they can schedule in time for caviar for breakfast; take advantage of the laundry services; during breakfast buffet do not hesitate to invite a couple looking for a table to sit with them.

<do not hesitate to invite a couple looking for a table to sit with them>

I think that is great advice and perhaps extends beyond breakfast. One of the most valuable benefits of the relaxed Regent restaurant set up is the ability to meet and mix with interesting fellow guests and maybe follow through with drinks/lunch/dinner arrangements later. We were fortunate that our first Regent experience was a segment of the World Cruise and on one of the first evenings on board, a sweet couple joined us in the bar and began to chat. We went on the have dinner with them a couple of times and realised that we too could overcome our reserved, British ways and take opportunities to be sociable! Along the way, we've met so many delightful people, some of whom have become firm friends.

I have never been on Seabourn but looks like they are comparable to Regent as far as costs. I found that Crystal is more reasonable though except if you book a lot of excursions with the cruise line.

BTW I would love to go on Seabourn but what turned me off was that they say their dinner doesn't start until 7:30 PM in all restaurants. Not sure if that's true but I called also and their rep said it was.

It's not.

Dinner usually starts at 1900, however pre-dinner there are canapes available in the Club and Observation lounge. Many people put in standing orders for pre-dinner caviar in these venues. There is also room service if one wants a late-late-lunch/early dinner.

Hi CailinDeas - how lovely for your parents to be doing their first cruise on the Navigator.

I’m sure they will have a wonderful time. We sailed on this ship for the first time in October last year and loved it.

Be sure to let the Cruise company/agent know that your Mum is celebrating a significant birthday. They thoroughly spoiled me on mine - champagne, chocolates and cake sent to the room in the afternoon, more champagne and cake at Dinner and a birthday serenade at the table by the waiters. Then on returning to our suite we found it filled with helium balloons bouncing along the ceiling - magical and so unexpected!

Dinner seating on the Navigator is really just as you would like it to be according to your whim on any night - you can sit just as a couple or with a group of people to meet new friends or specifically with a group of people they may have befriended already and wish to dine with - they are very accommodating re seating.

We did not have a specific formal evening designated our cruise - it was a 10 day cruise and we had thought there might be one, but it had been dropped.

The free included shore excursions are best booked in advance to be sure you can get into the ones preferred…can be done online quite easily - you can also talk to the excursions desk once on board and see what’s still available as well

Re hairdryers - yes - there is one in each suite - usually wrapped up in a cloth bag in the walk-in robe area.

I hope they love it - I understand the ship has just been fully renovated earlier this month as well,

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much everyone. My parents are currently on board and are absolutely loving the experience. I'm thrilled beyond belief for them. This could be start of a new obsession!! Looks like they might be spending the inheritance - and they'd be right to. Thanks again for all your lovely comments, good wishes and helpful tips.