Worst cruise ever

cobre5

My wife and I sailed on Regent Mariner from Lima to Buenos Aires on 31st January 2016 and had so many problems only to be offered a credit on a future cruise rather than cash compensation for problems on this cruise. I have read several reviews from other passengers on this cruise all of whom felt the same and I am listing below a brief summary of our experiences. If any other passenger would like to join me with a group of similar minded passengers seeking acceptable compensation please contact me at cobre5@ntlworld.com

I am writing this review in the hope that anyone else who experienced the problems with Regent Mariner and the misinformation provided by the Captain will join us in fighting for a refund from Regent for the many problems experience on this so called 6 star cruise line. I know some of you have already reviewed this cruise and given it the same rating as myself and we as a group would love to hear from you.Copied below is my last email to Regent after being offered a future cruise credit which we have rejected all this produced was a flowery apology and some explanation but no further offers of a refund My main complaints are as follows ;- We missed 3 ports and did not enter the area for a close up view of a glacier in fact no announcement was made about cruising glacier alley at 0530 only a very small note on the daily sheet and due to this we missed the glacier alley area . Also as we had been so late leaving many of the ports due to problems surely the captain could have timed this part of the cruise to a more acceptable time. The main port we missed was Port Stanley in the Falklands and we were told that we would not be visiting the Falklands after leaving Ushuaia when the captain told us that they had a problem with one of the propellers which they thought was a fishing net and that we could not sail a top speed. He then gave the excuse for not visiting the Falklands as weather i.e. wave height and wind strength and this was obviously not true. I did in fact download the shipping forecast for the Falklands on the day we were due to visit, I have this on file, which showed waves of 0.5 to 1.2 metres and winds of 14 knots. It is quite obvious that the reason for not visiting the Falklands was a mechanical problem with the propeller and as the ship could not sail at full speed they needed to reach Punta Del Este where divers had been booked to examine the propeller. The only information we were given in Punta Del Este was that after examination of the propeller the source had been found and photographs sent to head office where he was given permission to sail at full speed if necessary. The visit to the Falklands was one of the main reasons for booking this cruise rather than other cruise lines that offered similar itineraries at a much lower price During the first week of the cruise the captain announced a code red situation due to a GI infection on-board which had infected more than 2% of the passengers and crew. This meant that many facilities were unavailable which included closure of the laundries, no nuts or canapés served with drinks in the bar, all food had to be served in the self service area which severely slowed service, tables and chairs in the restaurants had to be sanitised after passengers had finished at a table again slowing service. Whilst I accept the fact that it is essential to stop spread of the infection the fact that we did not have the services mentioned must surely warrant compensation. I must state that in my opinion the very tight schedules that most cruise lines operate on does not allow sufficient time to thoroughly clean and sanitise the ship between passengers leaving at 0900 and new passengers boarding 3 to 4 hours later We were extremely disappointed with the cabins on the Mariner as we had sailed on Voyager in October 2015 and were very happy and had assumed that Mariner would be the same. However the cabins were much smaller very dated in fact the ceiling panels were multi-coloured from white to grey to yellow. The closets were very small with limited clothes storage for a 21 day plus cruise . Coming to the bathrooms these were basically impractical the bath was so short that anyone taller that 5 ft. 6 ins would not fit into the bath and to use the shower was difficult due to the shower curtain and limited space also it was quite dangerous stepping out of the bath due to lack of useable handrails

Finally I unfortunately had to visit the medical facility and although I queried the exorbitant prices charged particularly for drugs I was given no explanation or justification for the charges made. As I stated on my report at the end of the cruise I personally feel that these charges indicate profiting from illness

As stated initially I do not consider a credit against a future cruise acceptable I paid a high price for this cruise and any goodwill payment should be in the form of a refund against this payment for this cruise

:mad:

I am sorry you were so disappointed wth your cruise. I fully understand the disappointment of missing several ports. Been there, done that, actually more often by far n Silversea than regent. It is fact with cruising. Ports can be missed for all sorts of reasons, and this does not warrant compensation.

As far as the Noro virus issue, perhaps some compensation is warranted, but a future cruise credit does seem to be fair.

Anyone can see from the regent website that the cabins on Mariner are significantly smaller than those on voyager or navigator. No surprise there. I do agree though about the bathtubs, and would never book a bathtub cabin on Mariner. They are dangerous and very inconvenient IMO.

As far as the medical care, I have never used it, so no idea what the charge would be, but I expect it is similar to what you would pay in an emergency room in the US. And it is pretty much impossible to get an ER visit here for less than $1000.

Cobre5 - First, I heartily agree with the posters above who suggest that one long paragraph is difficult to read and greatly reduces the likelihood of many people bothering to do so. In any event, on to the substance of your complaint:

Irrespective of whether the visit to Port Stanley was missed due to weather or due to the problem with the prop, the cancellations of ports is by no means a rare occurrence in cruising and seldom merits a refund. Further, Port Stanley visits are amongst the most commonly cancelled port visits by all cruise lines because of the vagaries of the weather there and the rather difficult port configuration.

I will agree with you that the actual reason for a port cancellation should be stated, rather than a fabricated one. However, you do not in fact know that the explanation given by the skipper was fabricated. You are merely speculating that is the case.

As for your loss of "the services mentioned" occasioned by the special efforts to contain the spread of the illness (i.e. the closing of the self-service launderettes, the lack of nuts and canapés in the bars, not being able to serve oneself at the buffets, and having a few moments delay in seating to allow the chairs and tables to be sanitized for your protection), I will respectfully suggest that not only is it rather preposterous to state that such efforts "must surely warrant compensation", it might be more appropriate to state that such efforts must surely warrant appreciation and gratitude. Would you have preferred that the ship not take such steps that were "essential to stop spread of the infection"?

As for the cabins on Mariner, why on earth would you have "assumed that Mariner would be the same" as Voyager with regard to cabin size and design? As Rachel notes, the cabin specs are quite easily reviewed in every Regent publication and on the Regent website.

Finally, whilst I am not surprised to read that the fees charged by the medical center were a bit shocking, that is, in our experience, the case on every cruise line.

You appear to have found your way here to Cruise Critic for the first time, to lodge your grievances and solicit others to join you therein. Perhaps if you had come here prior to your cruise with questions, you would at least not have been surprised by the cabin size.

Please note that I am not by any measure an apologist for Regent (as a review of my posting history will attest). However, in the case of demanding a cash refund for the issues you describe, I will defend Regent's position and suggest that a future cruise credit is likely more than the cruise line is reasonably obligated to offer.

Cheers, Fred

PS - Your title for this thread is "Worst cruise ever". Some of your complaints and demands indicate a rather uninitiated approach to cruising and pre-cruise due diligence. Therefore, was "Worst cruise ever" also "First cruise ever"?

Edited by freddie

I heartily second Freddie's comments.

I found the complaints about missed ports to be particularly egregious. The Captain makes these decisions based on a lifetime of experience on sailing, and sometimes stuff happens. I've never ever experienced a Captain about whom I had any doubts about on any cruise line. I don't have the experience or knowledge, so defer to the Captain. If you don't want to cruise in the real world, with waves, weather, things that break on the ship, etc., I suggest a virtual reality substitute.

IIRC there should be a cash refund for port fees for missed ports (and the taxes on them), other than that, up to the line.

I have never received a refund for ports missed, and this includes cruises on Regent, Silversea, Oceania, celebrity and cruise west. If you review the terms and conditions, the possibility of missed ports is addressed, and no refund is indicated.

I think that the OP has some legitimate complaints--certainly most of us know the issues with Mariner's bathtub bathrooms, so if you aren't expecting it, it can really take you by surprise. They are very poorly designed.

But I'm afraid OP lost me on two points. First, closet size. The Mariner cabins have a huge walk-in closet. I can't imagine it being insufficient for a three-week cruise. It does make me wonder about the yardstick being applied on some of the other issues as well.

Second, is the notion that every blip in a cruise should be compensated with money. Stuff happens. Ports are missed for all manner of reasons. Steps do need to be taken when the norovirus appears. I've heard this attitude before--I'm hearing it on the Crystal ship that I'm on at the moment--and I don't get it. Yes, you paid a lot of money for your cruise. But that doesn't mean you are entitled to get it back if you stub your toe in the hallway.

I hate to be an apologist for Regent--heaven knows I've had my issues with them--or attack a poster for complaining (I've been on the receiving end of that), but I do think a rule of reason needs to prevail.

In response to most of the replies I feel that you all needed to have experienced the problems on Mariner as from investigation they had problems when the ship first sailed fro Miami and these problems continued beyond Buenos Aires.

The problem with all cruise lines is they always endeavor to sail and meet their schedule rather than being honest and cancelling the cruise and sorting out the problems once and for all. This particularly applies to Norovirus as it is impossible to totally sanitise the ship in the few hours they spend in port between disembarking and embarking passenger.

Coming to my comments on missing Port Stanley the captain told us an outright lie as they could not sail at full speed he decided to cut the corner and miss Port Stanley which was the reason that many people had taken this cruise.

We are not seeking compensation for everything but my main argument is if they offer a credit on a future cruise they should actually pay this as a refund as the problem was actually with this cruise and because of the numerous problems many of the passengers would not cruise with Regent again.

Unfortunately this company advertise extensively as the most inclusive luxury cruise line however there is no comparison between Regent and Seabourn. Seabourn is a truly luxury cruise line and whilst you have to pay for trips the experience far exceeds that of Regent. Regent may be spending millions on upgrading their fleet but in my opinion they have left the upgrade far too long

Edited by cobre5

Very sorry to hear that the OP was disappointed in the South American cruise on Mariner, having obviously enjoyed a cruise on Voyager the previous Autumn.

The various issues can be sorted into three categories:

1. 'Ship Happens': Weather, mechanical problems and medical issues are always a potential hazard when cruising. Just because you have paid big bucks to cruise on a luxury line does not insulate you from these issues

2. Prior research: Whenever taking any vacation, and especially when investing a lot of money in the holiday, it is most important for you and your TA to check exactly what you are paying for so that you are not disappointed

3. Insurance: Medical treatment on-board is always expensive but that is one of the reasons why comprehensive travel insurance is required

IMO the OP should not be using these Boards to solicit support in pursuit of a compensation claim against Regent

I see that the OP is from the UK. If he is not happy with the offer made by Regent then he has the right to to raise the complaint with ABTA (RSSC UK is a member) for adjudication

Thanks for sharing your experience, tho disappointment with the Mariner Cobra5.

Agree with both WishIwerecruising (believe you are now cruising and on a Crystal WC :)). And thanks to Flossie009 for her exceptional well written post. Only add that if you booked with a Travel Agent, recommend you get her/him involved in your complaint.

This Thanksgiving on the Harmony will be my 34th cruise, my 10th with RCI. I can honestly say I never had a bad cruise, let alone a worst one.

I missed the first day of a cruise because the plane was late, but the cruise line was so accommodating we didn't mind. My spouse had to visit a hospital in a foreign country, but they, too, were so accommodating and said 'we wouldn't charge an American for a bee sting'. How can these things ruin a cruise?

I enjoy cruises so much that I won't allow things to ruin it.

The only thing I can refer to is having also been on a ship that was in Code Red.

Yes, the salt and pepper were removed from the dining room table, along with the bread basket and butter dish. All had to be served by the wait staff.

Yes, the crew dished out the food directly from the buffet.

Did it slow things down and was it inconvenient? Yes.

Would I rather have it slow and inconvenient than be sick? YOU BET!

And FWIW, the situation was a holdover from the previous sailing. Two days were allowed to see if there was any new cases among the new pax that had just boarded. There wasn't which shows that a ship CAN be sanitized between sailings, and everything was returned to normal.

My husband had neuropathy and didn't realize that he had a badly infected blister on his toe. By the time I caught a glimpse of it, there was danger of worse and I rushed him to the medical center. The young woman doctor immediately created a surgical field and did surgery on his toe, then saw him twice a day for the duration of our cruise (two or three days). We thought the price was very reasonable, and were grateful for her action and concern.

Of course, we also didn't have a problem with Mariner's bathtub/shower layout. And over the course of our several cruises with Regent, we missed several ports. Rocky weather happens, and I prefer that the captain thinks about our safety.

I've read many of the less-than-pleased reviews on Regent. The old adage, "when you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail" applies aptly IMO.

My first Regent cruise is coming up in a little more than a month. I'm confident my wife and our best friend will be having the time of our lives no matter how hard Murphy tries to make it the "worst ever." :cool::)

I've read many of the less-than-pleased reviews on Regent. The old adage, "when you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail" applies aptly IMO.

My first Regent cruise is coming up in a little more than a month. I'm confident my wife and our best friend will be having the time of our lives no matter how hard Murphy tries to make it the "worst ever." :cool::)

I think as long as you have realistic expectations, you'll have a great cruise. We've been fortunate that in our five previous Regent cruises, we've only missed one port. Most of our issues have been minor in nature, and the few we've had were mostly with personnel on shore. I can honestly say I've never once regretted writing a check for a Regent cruise...which is why I keep writing them, I guess.

:D

I do know that the port in the Falkland Islands is one of the most missed ports.

When I went around South America there were five ships in tandem and would would meet up with some in each port. We were each scheduled to visit the Falkland Islands over a four day period - of the five ships, we were the only one that made it there and was shocked how quickly the weather turned on us.

I have so many friends who have attempted to visit the Falklands, some have tried more than once and only a few of us have been able to say that we were there.

gnomie :)

Let me add a couple of observations which might help.

The Falklands are located in an area which has very changeable weather and sea conditions. No captain would ever take his ship into such conditions without it being 100% operational. Lacking one propeller at 100% would limit the use of the other to the same percentage which may not be able to handle the sea conditions. No captain would ever put his passengers, crew or ship at risk in such a difficult area of the world with a crippled ship.

A case in point I was crossing Drakes Passage on an expedition ship in 35 foot seas and 80 knots winds when we lost power to the propellers from the loss of pneumatic pressure. A wave hit us broadside putting a 30 degree list for what seemed like forever before the ship righted its self. Fortunately nobody was injured but I'm sure the pucker factor on the bridge was high. In this case the problem was found and fixed in 45 very long minutes but a prop can only be fixed in port.

Safety really is job one on a cruise ship.

Cobre, it's certainly unfortunate that you had a bad experience on the Mariner. My wife and I sailed Regent last year on the Northern Europe itinerary and had a fabulous time. We've sailed a number of different lines and have January trip on Celebrity to New Zealand booked.

I'm afraid all of the issues you raise likely will not result in cash compensation, especially since the line has offered future credits as compensation. You may want to consult an attorney who specializes in cruise issues, however.

Personally I have no reason to not sail Regent again and we are looking forward to our next trip booked with that line.

Best of luck.

I have never received a refund for ports missed, and this includes cruises on Regent, Silversea, Oceania, celebrity and cruise west. If you review the terms and conditions, the possibility of missed ports is addressed, and no refund is indicated.

On our last cruise with Seabourn we missed the private island port for our beach party. We received OBC credit for port fees which we cashed out

On our last cruise with Seabourn we missed the private island port for our beach party. We received OBC credit for port fees which we cashed out

Lucky you. We have not received credit for port fees ever, as far as I can remember . I know for sure never on Silversea, which is the cruise line we have missed the most number of ports on by far, even though we have far more days on Regent.

RachelG, I know people who had port fees refunded on Regent but one had to request the refund of fees. This was when, and also before, Mark Conroy. We have not sailed Regent since that time so I cannot give any information regarding the current policy.

On Crystal, the refund for missing port fees is credited to your account without any request (at least, this is what happened to us in 2016). Seabourn also refunded fees on our last cruise.