The Majestic Line (Scotland)

shsdawg

We just got back from a cruise to the Isle of Skye on the Majestic Line's Glen Massan. It was WONDERFUL in every way. Don't let the small size of the boat put you off. It cruises in protected water for the most part and anchors up every night. The cabins are small but very functional and comfortable. Because the boat is small it pokes it's way into tiny out of the way ports and isolated lochs. The scenery is as good as I've ever seen, and I've been on cruises in Norway and Alaska. The food was just simply outstanding. It was fresh, local, and incredibly prepared. The mussels on the last night were still in the water 2 hours before dinner. The crew went out of their way to make this one of the best trips of our lives. The laid back atmosphere was something I REALLY enjoyed too. This was just an outstanding cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been looking into this line for a vacation. Not much info out there. So a couple questions. For the trips ashore during the day, where they wet landings? Did the ship provide a naturalist or historian to discuss the various areas you were in? Did the common areas seem crowded when you were watching the scenery go by? thanks ahead of time for any information.

• 4 weeks later...
I have been looking into this line for a vacation. Not much info out there. So a couple questions. For the trips ashore during the day, where they wet landings? Did the ship provide a naturalist or historian to discuss the various areas you were in? Did the common areas seem crowded when you were watching the scenery go by? thanks ahead of time for any information.

The boat has a small tender/lifeboat that looks like a miniature WWII landing craft complete with a bow ramp. I don't recall getting my feet wet, but I had water proof shoes. At most places we landed at small jetties or floating docks. The tender was about 15 feet long and carried 6 plus 2 crew.

No naturalist or historian but the crew was very knowledgeable about the wildlife and the area.

We got lucky in that there were only 8 on our trip, 5 of whom were our party. Most trips on the two original boats will have 10 or 11. They had a couple cancel at the last minute. It was never crowded. There is ample space. There are three open deck areas (we were on the Glen Massan) and passengers are always welcome in the wheel house.

Sorry I was late replying, this is my first visit since my original post. Think of this line as a very relaxed house party that travels some of the best marine scenery in the world. We all want to go back, and might. Do be prepared for the Scottish weather. I think we had at least some rain every day we were there. The temps were mostly in the 50s F (we were there in early July). It was a welcome break from a Mississippi summer for us. In all honesty I think I would have been disappointed if the weather HADN'T been that way.

Edited by shsdawg