Experienced cruisers but newbies to celebrity

Moogwoogler

Well this is my inaugaral post on this site. We are traveling with another couple of very close friends with adjoining cabins.Sailing on the silhouette December 4 out of Fort Lauderdale to the eastern Caribbean.I am recently disabled, travel with a w/c & portable O2, any words of wisdom for the newbie celebrity cruisers with special needs?

Well this is my inaugaral post on this site. We are traveling with another couple of very close friends with adjoining cabins.Sailing on the silhouette December 4 out of Fort Lauderdale to the eastern Caribbean.I am recently disabled, travel with a w/c & portable O2, any words of wisdom for the newbie celebrity cruisers with special needs?

We decided to try Celebrity once and never looked back! I am sure you will love your cruise!

Re special needs. There is a contact form you can click on line to fill in. We have to request cable extensions and distilled water and our room attendant always knows! They really are most helpful. Be specific about exactly what you need them to provide and the equipment you are bringing.

We like the way excursions are described on Celebrity. Although not fully disabled I do have some mobility issues and it is great they state how many steps, length of walk....If you chat with them at the desk they will also be able to answer any personal concerns.

You will also find this board really helpful for any specific needs you have from scooter parking to showers so as you consider your life on board keep asking questions.

Again, nice to meet you on CC!

Welcome to Celebrity, oh, and to Cruise Critic! How did you hear about CC that got you to come and join the fun?

In our experiences of sailing on Celebrity since 1994 you should find your fellow passengers more helpful in holding an elevator door open and letting you in.

We have seen many times in the buffet a total stranger pause with getting their plate to help a fellow passenger with theirs, because there are no longer trays.

Never be concerned about asking a staff member for help, just make sure to get a name to put on the comment card about the service.

I hope at the end of your cruise to look at each other and say, "why did we wait so long to try Celebrity".

Edited by wallie5446

We have noticed how thoughtful and helpful all the crew are in assisting less able bodied passenger. Wheelchair passengers are taken carefully down gangways with enough crew to ensure safety - often two large chaps if the slope is steep, and lifting/rolling on and off tenders.

And as wallie5446 said, fellow passengers will do their best too.

I do hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise.

Just in case you are not already familiar with the Cruise Critic special forum for cruisers with disabilities, here is a link to it

Disabled Cruise Travel - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

I hope you were able to book an accessible cabin on the Silhouette.

The safety features of those accessible cabins are wonderful for those with limited mobility.

Here is a link to the

Celebrity Guest Special Needs Form

Do fill it out and submit it, if you have not already done so.

It has a place to request an accessible cabin, if you don't already have one.

We found Celebrity to be very accommodating for passengers with special needs.

If you plan to take any of the ship's excursions in ports, notice that they offer a number of excursions that use vehicles with ramps and lifts for people in wheelchairs.

While we usually prefer to take private excursions ourselves, when we travel with a family member who has mobility limitations we do book the ship's excursions.

The reason is mainly for peace of mind knowing that the ship will wait for us if we should be delayed in returning, and that the excursion operator maintains direct contact with the ship.

Wishing you a wonderful Celebrity cruise, and many more to follow.

Edited by fleckle