A Japanese cherry blossom cruise.

drron29

We do love Expedition cruising but have virtually done all the itineraries we wish to do on our favourite-Silverseas Explorer.We do love Japan and did want to visit in cherry blossom time.So when we learnt of the APT/Botannica cruise on the Caledonian sky we signed up.The ship is virtually the same size as the Explorer.The ship does have other itineraries we would be interested in.Now I don't do ordinary reviews but like a pictorial journey of the trip.As there is very little on the ship.APT or Botannica I felt I would do one on this trip.

We flew to Japan a few days before the cruise which was originally scheduled to leave from Kobe but the hotel the night before was in Osaka.So we stayed 5 nights in Kyoto.The blossom viewing websites predicted we would be a little early.Fortunately they were a few days off.We stayed at the Westin as I was able to make a points booking.At this time of year most hotels are full and the rates quite high so if you want to go and see the blossoms you should plan early.

I will stary with the days in Kyoto.The hotel advised that the most advanced blossoms were at the Imperial Palace so that's where we went on our first day-

DSC08616.JPG.DSC08617.JPG.

The kiddies were all out-

DSC08619.JPG.DSC08621.JPG.

As well as the odd magnolia-

DSC08623.JPG.DSC08624.JPG.

Where ever we are in Japan we try and visit the shopping streets-covered walkways with interesting small stores and restaurants.This one started close to the Kyoto Town Hall.An obvious poster for this time of year-

DSC08774.JPG.DSC08775.JPG.

DSC08776.JPG.

Often little temples or shrines-

DSC08781.JPG.DSC08782.JPG.

DSC08793.JPG.

Behind the shops a cemetery-

DSC08788.JPG.DSC08789.JPG.

It intriques me where Japanese retailers get their names.This one has many imitators-

DSC08790.JPG.

But what the heck is Claup.Now there are some places where you don't need to read Japanese-

DSC08797.JPG.

Their menu is much commented on-

DSC08798.JPG.

Always some nice things to see-

DSC08796.JPG.

DSC08816.JPG.

And that is the Kyoto Town Hall.Underneath it at the subway station we found a sushi place open for a very late lunch-

DSC08817.JPG.DSC08818.JPG.

It was very good particularly the sea urchin.At the end the fellow brings across a hand held recorder,runs it over the plates and up comes the bill-each drink came with it's own plate.

So back to the hotel and a rest.

Wednesday and we were off to Nara.A late start and we took the slow train to Nara.We were here 32 years ago and boy has it changed.In those days we were driven through the Nandaimon gate to the Todaigi Temple.There were very few tourists but today absolute hordes.

DSC08824.JPG.DSC08826.JPG.

DSC08830.JPG.DSC08831.JPG.

DSC08834.JPG.DSC08838.JPG.

DSC08888.JPG.DSC08891.JPG.

So that is the path to the Todaiji temple.When we were here in 1984 there were hardly any tourists and we were driven down this road through the Nandaimon gate to the temple.So this time we didn't bother.However it is one of the lessons of travel-go when you can and don't put it off.It doesn't usually get better.

Now cherries weren't the only blossom here as well-

DSC08898.JPG.DSC08899.JPG.

Now this group were having a hard time getting deer interested in eating-

DSC08903.JPG.DSC08922.JPG.

We were now walking back to Nara station.Note the cycad-

DSC08927.JPG.DSC08928.JPG.

It's a registered tangible cultural property.And quite old too!

DSC08930.JPG.

We went to the supermarket to get something to eat as we didn't want the crows aiming at our food in Nara Park. We bought some sushi plus sashimi salmon and tuna sitting at the bus stop to eat it.Delicious.

Coming to Nara brought back many memories of our visit to Japan in 1984-our first trip here.In Nara park whilst I was off taking some photos mrsdrron was approached by a 7 year old girl and her grandmother to practice English.Now on our first visit this happened a fair bit but usually young men or women.As the years have gone by those wanting to practice English have got younger.

One thing that has not changed is how helpful the Japanese are even if you don't speak a word of Japanese.Kyoto was where we were feted one night by a large group of Japanese businessmen wanting to know about us and shouting us a bottle of wine.I was so impressed by this that I went back to University and did 2 years of Japanese so that I could help Japanese tourists here-mrsdrron used to wince as I kidnapped young Japanese on the Gold Coast-but I am sure I did a lot to promote Australia to the Japanese.

Unfortunately I am not a linguist so conversation was not my forte.However I could write reasonably well which impressed the locals a lot.Not much left now but it comes back so I can still offer to take a photo of a family group for example.

I really do think Japan is a great place to visit-so start dusting off those plans.

Thursday and the nicest weather of our stay.Fortunately the day we decided to walk to the Philosopher's Walk one of the best blossom viewing sites around Kyoto.The Westin is close to several nice viewing areas with it's own gardens and the Keage Incline just across the road-

DSC08934.JPG.DSC08936.JPG.

DSC08938.JPG.DSC08946.JPG.

DSC08947.JPG.DSC08948.JPG.

Now I wouldn't want to be tired and emotional and be trying to tell the taxi driver where I wanted to go-

DSC09099.JPG.

The canal at the bottom of the Keage incline.The zoo on the right.

DSC09109.JPG.DSC09112.JPG.

The Keage incline was a rack and pinion railway used to transport boats from the Lake Biwa Canal down to Kyoto and on to the sea.Now known as a good cherry blossom viewing spot-

DSC09113.JPG.DSC09115.JPG.

DSC09122.JPG.

We crossed the road to the Kyoto International House and had a coffee there.They had their own garden where this really pink specimen was.This though is definitely second rate to the Japanese who prefer the very pale Yoshino cherry which are the majority seen.

DSC09126.JPG.DSC09127.JPG.

DSC09129.JPG.DSC09132.JPG.

DSC09141.JPG.DSC09143.JPG.

DSC09145.JPG.DSC09149.JPG.

DSC09147.JPG.DSC09153.JPG.

Back to the Westin.Mrsdrron feeling tired so has a rest.I decided to do a walk.First the Westin shuttle to Gion.leaves every 15 minutes but traffic is mad so waited 35 minutes and 2 came together.You are dropped at a station across the road by the river.Lined with cherry trees.

DSC09155.JPG.DSC09157.JPG.

Then down a little backstreet-

DSC09195.JPG.

There are times when a lack of Japanese will tell-

DSC09197.JPG.DSC09196.JPG

The No English sign usually means tourists are not encouraged here.Fair enough too.Sometimes as I have said the English is close but not quite right.Though some of those spirits do pack a mean punch-

DSC09199.JPG.

On to themain street and the Yasaka shrine comes into view.Crowds going to and from the shrine.

DSC09204.JPG.DSC09206.JPG.