Will I feel out of place on Celebrity?

Hammergirl

We just got off Oasis of the Seas and had a really great time with our 2 kids. However, my husband and I would like to try a cruise with just the 2 of us. We are looking at Celebrity but are concerned it will be a little to formal for us.

We don't dress up. I usually wear khaki shorts and a t-shirt and my husband wears khaki shorts and an athletic shirt or t-shirt. We only went to the main dining room once and we did wear khaki pants and a button down shirt and I wore a maxi-skirt and a sweater. We mainly liked to just hang out on the deck and watch the world go by. We are both 42.

Are we going to feel out of place on Celebrity? Please be honest as I would hate to book something and then realize we are totally out of place and feel uncomfortable the whole time.

It's not that we disliked Celebrity in any way. That was who my folks 'earned their points' with and we certainly enjoyed our first trip, but having Royal Caribbean just down the road porting in Galveston was too tempting. While we found Celebrity to be a little classier, a lot of times on RCL we've wished for a little more class.

As fas as so formal you'll feel out of place? I wouldn't worry.

i think you will be fine. We are also very casual people - lots of tie-dyed talk tops and t-shirts; shorts and jeans. We've been to Alaska on Celebrity twice and never felt out of place. Hubby wore black jeans and button-up shirt in dining room (ate there 3 times); I had tie-dyed dress and skirt. The other nights we either had room service or went to the Oceanview buffet.

We are booked on a Westbound Panama Canal cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale on 11/9, and will continue with shorts, etc.

Enjoy yourselves!

Cheryl (& Phil Corcoran)

We just got off Oasis of the Seas and had a really great time with our 2 kids. However, my husband and I would like to try a cruise with just the 2 of us. We are looking at Celebrity but are concerned it will be a little to formal for us.

We don't dress up. I usually wear khaki shorts and a t-shirt and my husband wears khaki shorts and an athletic shirt or t-shirt. We only went to the main dining room once and we did wear khaki pants and a button down shirt and I wore a maxi-skirt and a sweater. We mainly liked to just hang out on the deck and watch the world go by. We are both 42.

Are we going to feel out of place on Celebrity? Please be honest as I would hate to book something and then realize we are totally out of place and feel uncomfortable the whole time.

We have sailed on most mass market lines over the years although Celebrity has been our go to line for over ten years. We have 26 sailings on both her M and S class ships.

About us: We're 69 and 70, retired and somewhat well off, well maybe "comfortable". We live in the NY area. Majority of passengers are in the 40 to 60 range. They are worldly, sophisticated, friendly and like to eat, drink, dance and have fun. There always lots of families with well behaved children (for the most part). A nice mix of young to old who prefers gazing at the ocean versus shot contests. Does not appeal to rednecks. They don't have hairy chest or belly flop contests.

A Celebrity cruise is a lot of things:

Elegant

Chic

Casual

Sophisticated

Friendly

Warm

Vibrant

A perfect blend of stylish luxury and informality.

When returning to the ship on hot days they serve iced towels & cold drinks right on the pier. On cold days it's warm towels and hot chicken soup.

Food is excellent in all venues while remembering they are serving thousands of meals a day.

They truly do take care of their passengers. This is shown everyday in large and small ways. We are their guests not an ATM machine that they can pull money out at every turn.

Officers are friendly and visible every day. There are officer and passenger dance contests, trivial pursuit games, sporting events. They are approachable and easy to talk to.

Last but not least, they make the best bread pudding and waffles on the high seas.

Please do give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by PoppyandNana

We also don't dress up, except for smart casual on occasion, and have never felt out of place.......go, dress as you want (within reason:D) and enjoy your cruise:D

I had the same concerns as you; we have sailed many different lines and love Princess & Holland America, but really liked Carnival as well. I thought Celebrity would be full of snooty people, but going to Bermuda this past May my choices were Celebrity or NCL. Loved our cruise on the Summit. Yes, the ship had a classy feel, but not stuck up at all. Most the people we met were really down to earth. I think its a great line for couples.

It looks like we will be sailing Celebrity again as I am just about to pull the trigger on a Med cruise next June.

Oh please PoppyandNana, we don't sail again for 370 days and your post makes me want to book something that sails tomorrow!

To the OP, you will not feel out of place at all. You can eat at the buffet, spa cafe (breakfast and lunch), pool grill wearing the kind of dress you have mentioned. Even in the dining room it's not hoity toity. Enjoy your cruise.

Celebrity to us is rest and relaxation...much quieter than RC but not 'stuffy', not even more dressy than RC, just a totally different ambiance....

Ironically, we are having a return trip to RC in January, first time in several years, looking forward to the shows, liveliness, carousel....but after 7 days I know we will be glad to get off! Cruises booked after that are all on X.

The way I can best explain the difference between the two lines for us is when we get off Celebrity we feel rested and relaxed...when we get off RC we feel we need a holiday to recover!

Hope you enjoy!

Edited by chemmo

The only things we noticed on Celebrity . In the evening very few people wore shorts and t-shirts . I have noticed this trend on many ships over the last 10 years..

We have sailed on most mass market lines over the years although Celebrity has been our go to line for over ten years. We have 26 sailings on both her M and S class ships.

About us: We're 69 and 70, retired and somewhat well off, well maybe "comfortable". We live in the NY area. Majority of passengers are in the 40 to 60 range. They are worldly, sophisticated, friendly and like to eat, drink, dance and have fun. There always lots of families with well behaved children (for the most part). A nice mix of young to old who prefers gazing at the ocean versus shot contests. Does not appeal to rednecks. They don't have hairy chest or belly flop contests.

A Celebrity cruise is a lot of things:

Elegant

Chic

Casual

Sophisticated

Friendly

Warm

Vibrant

A perfect blend of stylish luxury and informality.

When returning to the ship on hot days they serve iced towels & cold drinks right on the pier. On cold days it's warm towels and hot chicken soup.

Food is excellent in all venues while remembering they are serving thousands of meals a day.

They truly do take care of their passengers. This is shown everyday in large and small ways. We are their guests not an ATM machine that they can pull money out at every turn.

Officers are friendly and visible every day. There are officer and passenger dance contests, trivial pursuit games, sporting events. They are approachable and easy to talk to.

Last but not least, they make the best bread pudding and waffles on the high seas.

Please do give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

O My goodness, I am really really looking forward to our Dec cruise now! Thank you for all this great information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm dressing up because I love dressing up. Hope I don't feel to

'Odd one out'!! Told hubby not to pack DJ though!

I love to dress up myself, but I don't think X is stuffy. What I like is the swelligance of it: really good service with some nice touches. But I am not part of the country club set, and I am not going to look someone askance if they stir their drink with the wrong finger or whatever.

I enjoyed my first cruise with X and am bringing a friend on my second. We plan to have fun.

We've been on Carnival, RCCL, Norwegian and we loved them all, but Celebrity is our go to cruise line. It is a little more laid back but it's as busy as you want it to be. We spend a lot of time just hanging out on our balcony. That's why we get one :) We also live in S Florida so don't need to hang by the pool because we can do that at home.

Celebrity used to be a bit on the stuffy side - not really the cruise line but the people. We've noticed a change in the last 5 years. We are like you and don't dress up anymore, even for dinner. Slacks and a collared shirt are all I wear to dinner. I do take a sports coat and end up wearing maybe once, maybe. Shorts and T-shirt with flip flops during the day.

For those that do want to dress up, you'll be fine. You'll also see others dressing up, all the way to tux and gowns. I like seeing people all dressed, just don't like doing it myself.

What I do like is the staff is so darn nice. The ship has a bit of "sophistication". That's probably not the right word, but without the games and rock wall, etc. it changes the demeanor of the ship and crew.

We'll sail Carnival, RCCL and Norwegian again but always look to Celebrity first.

enjoy

You will not feel out of place at all. My wife and I are both 43 and both have to dress business formal everyday for work.

When on Celebrity I wear a polo and khaki pants and my wife wears a skirt and a top to dinner every night. After dinner I switch to khaki shorts and sandals for the night.

Celebrity is great, it's as formal as you want it to be.

We've only ever sailed with P&O (we are Brits) they have very formal nights and black and white nights too but as long as I can wear my special dresses I'll be happy. It all sounds lovely and we are very much looking forward to it. Our teen boys are sailing with us.

We've only ever sailed with P&O (we are Brits) they have very formal nights and black and white nights too but as long as I can wear my special dresses I'll be happy. It all sounds lovely and we are very much looking forward to it. Our teen boys are sailing with us.

My Husband and I like to dress up twice on the cruise for dinner, but other than dinner , we where shorts or capris ...tank, hawaiian shirts, t shirts...

We see people that dressed all different ways. We have been on NCL, Princess, RC, Disney, Carnival... I think it is a lot the same on them all really..

We prefer Celebrity , it is our favorite!

Edited by merinski

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq478

My DH and I have cruised Celebrity in a suite and never felt like people were snooty at all. He did wear a very nice pair of jeans and polo shirt one night in Blu; one man looked at him like he was so concerned to have a lower-class person in his restaurant. He also wore them to the suite restaurant and absolutely no one cared at all! So, having said this, go and enjoy your cruise to the max. There will always be a very few who feel that they are super entitled! I just laugh it off, smile and go on my way. Life is just too short to fool with fools!:cool: