Cruising from San diego to Tahiti How choppy are the waters?

Ivy86

What ship are you on? Any open ocean can get pretty rough, but the captain will try his or her best to steer around bad weather.

Our Jewel cruise a couple of years ago hit a bad storm out of Cozumel. We spent the night with the bow of the ship rising and falling so much that it felt like we were getting lifted off the bed every few seconds all night long. Lots of seasick meds were taken on that trip and there were bags at every level of the stairwell for those that needed them.

We were on the Queen Victoria from LA to South Pacific in 2015, the Queen Elizabeth was ahead of us by about a week. They had high seas that delayed their arrival in Hawaii...we sailed in bathwater...totally calm the whole way to the South Pacific and Sydney (after that another story).

The point is...no one can answer your question. It could be anything but as you've already heard, the Captain will avoid what they can. They don't want seasick passengers believe me.

Don't worry about what you can't control and enjoy yourself! We did.

To answer your question ....Because I hate flying plus that cruise line is wayyyyy too expensive. I prefer 5 days at sea than 8 hours on a plane

Look beyond the price. Free airfare, no tips, free drinks. That being said I cruise transatlantic to and from Italy and agree about the flying. Plus Atlantic Ocean TA's can cost the same as flying!

The Pacific by the way can be your worst nightmare or as smooth as glass. You never know.

We are currently on Oceania (1250 pax ship) somewhere between Pitcairn Island and French Polynesia. The weather has been good, but the ship HAS been rocking and rolling more than, say, previous cruises around Europe. We haven't had any crashing up and down (that's pitching, I believe), just a lot of swaying back and forth that has caused us to walk a bit strangely! I think most people are adjusting to it fine, though, and I haven't heard anyone say they got seasick.

Perhaps we beat the odds, and we have gone to Hawaii and the South Pacific only in the fall months, but we had fairly smooth sailing every time. Our trip last Oct/Nov we sailed out when hurricane Olaf was in the Hawaiian Islands.

I bring patches and seasick pills with me, but it didn't get rough enough to use it.

Everyone's right, but sea conditions will vary no matter where you cruise.

Have a great cruise, no matter where you go!:)

AC