In French Polynesia Now - Nov 2015

Mercruiser

We are in Papeete today, flying to Bora Bora this afternoon. We are taking a two week resort vacation on Bora Bora and Moorea, using hotel frequent guest points. This made staying in resorts cheaper than a cruise. I'll eventually take a FP cruise, but not this year.

Pacific Princess and Bremen are in port today in Papeete.

The new Arunui 5 is sailing from its China shipyard to Papeete. I hope to see it before we leave.

We spent last night at the Fare Suisse in Papeete. It's a very good choice for a pre/post cruise stay in Papeete. It is within easy walking distance to the downtown area including the Marche and the cruise ship/ferry port area.

We walked to the Marche thus morning. It is open until 1030 am on Sundays.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Thanks Floridiana.

We've been having a great time with great weather at the IC Moana and the IC Thalasso.

Yesterday, we went on Patrick's (MAOHI NUI) lagoon tour with the Pacific Princess group. The group filled three of Partrick's boats plus the two of us. We were the only non-cruisers. Everyone had a great time.

This is Pacific Princess' last 10-day FP cruise ever. She has been sold. Unfortunately, this might be the end of affordable cruises in FP.

Today, we fly to Moorea for six nights. Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a wonderful time in Moorea. I loved it there.

I am sad about the Pacific not doing these cruises after this year but I've already started researching land vacations on several of the islands I'd like to spend more time on.

There are some nice B&Bs out there that are so much less costly than the big resorts. That is the way I'll be doing it when I get back there.

(Except maybe on Bora Bora where I should have a decent amount of ICH points.)

Again, enjoy Moorea!

Jill

Jill,

You may already know this, but for the benefit of other readers, you can get two of your free IC nights by signing up for a Chase IHG Awards Club credit card. You get 60,000 IHG points after spending $1000 within 3 months, plus an annual free night on your card anniversary. You can use the free night at any IC, including the Thalasso. You can use 50,000 points from the sign up bonus for the other night. You can get four nights this way if your spouse/ travel partner does the same on their own card.

Thalasso award nights are very limited so you want to book your award 350 days in advance. Thalasso nights go for $1000 per night, this time of year, so this is a very good use of IHG awards. Flyer Talk has a forum on this.

We made it to Moorea and have spent a wonderful Sunday at the Moorea Hilton. I have the same room and view as in our 2013 trip. See the pictures here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1941686

The Windstar's Wind Spirit was in Cook's Bay yesterday. Pacific Princess is due in on Monday and again on Wednesday. I hope they anchor in Opunohu Bay so that I can see the ship from my OWB.

Hi there!

We are having a day in Papeete and Bora Bora during a cruise next year, can anyone recommend a hotel for a day pass?

Thanks

Bee Happy Cruzers

For Papeete, I'd recommend the Intercontinental Tahiti. I am in the Papeete airport right now. Just checked out the the IC Tahiti today. I saw a sign at the Lotus restaurant advertising "Dejuner piscine samaine 9030 cfp. 2 courses lunch menu, free access to the Lotus swimming pool from 11 am until 5 pm and towel." We ate at the Lotus last night. It's one of the nicest restaurants on Tahiti. It has a great view of Moorea.

The IC might have other day passes that are cheaper. The Lotus is a very high-end restaurant.

Edited by Mercruiser

Jill,

You may already know this, but for the benefit of other readers, you can get two of your free IC nights by signing up for a Chase IHG Awards Club credit card. You get 60,000 IHG points after spending $1000 within 3 months, plus an annual free night on your card anniversary. You can use the free night at any IC, including the Thalasso. You can use 50,000 points from the sign up bonus for the other night. You can get four nights this way if your spouse/ travel partner does the same on their own card.

Thalasso award nights are very limited so you want to book your award 350 days in advance. Thalasso nights go for $1000 per night, this time of year, so this is a very good use of IHG awards. Flyer Talk has a forum on this.

I would wait until they have the 80,000 sign up bonus which they offer periodically. My wife and I both did this years ago. Plus we became ambassadors which gets you points and a free weekend night certificate - pay one night get one free. Lots of free nights over the years - all over Tahiti, Rome IC, etc. it's a great program. Plus the late check out in Tahiti is a fantastic perk.