Rangiroa, Bora Bora, Fakarava, Easter I, Air Tahiti Nui, Internet

roothy123

I have some general questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:

Papeete: On Air Tahiti Nui flights to LA, is any substantive food served? We're flying during the day (charter) and not sure what to expect, but since it's a long flight, I want to be prepared. Also, when do we need to be at the airport for an 11 AM flight? I've heard it can be extremely busy early AM, but people for the 2 regularly-scheduled AM international flights should be in the air by 9 AM, so I'm hoping a little bit of rush will be over. Also, how do the locals pronounce Papeete? Is it papa-et, or something like that with 3 syllables, or what?

Bora Bora - Has anyone done the helmet "dive" (snorkel with helmet) or aquabike (with "bike") in Bora Bora? Is one better than the other in terms of what you see or how long you stay underwater? Does your head really stay dry? Is it possible to take a cheap point and shoot camera with you or will it get wet - or produce terrible pictures because of thick plastic in the way? Does the water come up to your neck, or what? Is the circumnavigation of the island tour a good one, or is that mostly for people who aren't crazy about water and/or have low mobility?

Rangiroa - Has anyone rented a scooter or bike or car recently? I would like to email a vendor but can't find any email addresses. It sounds like there's an Avis concession there, plus JJ Loc, but my emails bounced back. Is there any place within walking distance of wherever people are tendered to that I could walk to? It looks like the airport is too, although the Kia Ora Hotel may not be. Do they have anything? Are bicycles feasible to ride, or are the roads just too rough and/or things to go to too few and far between to make it fun? Can you get over the Tiputa pass with a bike on the water taxi?

Fakarava? - What can we do there? Our ship doesn't offer excursions, and I believe Ato, or whoever the primary tour provider there is, has already filled up his boat with people on our Roll Call.

Easter Island - Did your ship have trouble tendering you ashore?

We have free internet on the ship, but what can I expect way out to sea? Will the internet be minimal, or is there a chance I can use it during off periods when all my cruise mates are eating or asleep? What about near our ports of call (Easter Island, Robinson Crusoe, Bora Bora, Fakarava, Rangiroa)? What about Valparaiso?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Also, if you've taken pictures, I'd love to see them!

Pa-pe-(e)te

- how a native Spanish speaker would pronounce it, 3 syllables.

Fakarava is an atoll with few inhabitants. We walked on the ring road and swam in the lagoon. Wear reef/water shoes! The coral beach is not smooth sand. Same thing in Rangiroa where we were tendered to the dock of a hotel. Bikes are probably available at the hotel.

Rangiroa is a larger atoll with a few more inhabitants than Fakarava, but there is still not much more than a village and scattered homes along the ring road. We went to their pearl 'factory' and one time on a glass bottom boat.

People go to the atolls for diving, but we enjoyed the special ambiance of a ring of flat islands around a vast blue and turquoise lagoon on foot.

Did you try the forum of your ship's line for the charter flight questions?

I would get to the ATN counter 3-4 hours prior to your scheduled flight. After you check in I would eat at one of the restaurants prior to going through security. The area that ATN usually uses for their departures has minimal food available for purchase. Their economy class is a little better since most of their planes were upgraded about 18 months ago but it is not the most comfortable flight. Food is OK but again, eat before you get on the plane.

We have been to the region a number of times and spent 6 nights on Rangiroa. There is really very little there to see and I would not bother renting a car or a scooter. The only worthwhile thing to do is some water based activity such as snorkeling or diving.

Fakarava has even less to see than Rangiroa if that is possible. We walked along the road and saw the 2 tiny shops and one church. Again, you need to do something in the water at this location as well. As others have mentioned you do need water/reef shoes as the entry to the water is not the smooth sand.

We did the helmet dive in Bora Bora and yes, your head does stay perfectly dry. You will see a lot more if you do a snorkel excursion (I presume you do not dive). Consider using Pure Snorkeling by Reef Discovery for their great excursion. You can purchase a disposable underwater camera (digital) but the pictures will not be great. You can also purchase a point and shoot digital camera that is designed for underwater pictures usually for a shallow depth that would work for snorkeling. Good but not great pictures. If you dive then you need a special camera as the pressure below 33 feet would push water into most other cameras and destroy them. Some companies make a case for an iPhone that you can supposedly use for snorkeling but IMHO that is too much of a gamble.

WE found that internet access via satellite on our ship (Paul Gauguin) was pretty good but got a little slow as more people accessed it at the same time. In port it was the same as out at sea. In port you may be able to get cellular access on your phone but be aware that the charge may be hefty.

The regular daytime TN flight to LAX is quite OK. Adequate legroom and two quite decent meals. It does take about an hour in line to check in. If the charter is similar, you'll be OK.

The water taxi over over the Tiputa pass in Rangiroa is a small boat but plenty big enough for a bike. It wasn't busy when I was there (on the Pacific Princess) and I'd expect they be happy to take a bike for a few extra XPF. I'm not sure where a bike would get you, though-there's not much there. The church is delightful and just a few steps away.

Thank you. Is the wait that people refer to (for example, you, some other guy) the line at the counter to check in? Is that the first thing you do, I assume? Then how is security - fairly normal lines (if there is a "normal" - I realize some airports are busier than others, or staffed better than others!)

Yes, the line is for the first step: checkin. There's no online option and status with other airlines doesn't get you in the business class line (I was flying it as an American codeshare and have top-level FF status with them).

Security and emigration are no problem as people just trickle into those lines as they finish checkin.

It's slightly risky, but one way to avoid the line is to turn up much later than they recommend.

Well, Lufthansa's economy food wasn't bad this summer, but you just never know what you're going to get. At least they still serve SOMETHING on long flights. On ATN's website for the Papeete to LA flights, they don't show if any food is served, so I wanted to be prepared. If they serve head cheese, I think I'll have to pass. Since non-ATN flights between Papeete and the U.S. seem to be non-existent, I guess they can serve anything they want and still fill planes. And, as my husband says, it might be hard to serve fresh fish to the masses every day! I'll make sure we have snacks to bring on board, especially since we fly during the day and can't sleep our way to LA!