Advice for someone who can't walk a lot

megbowlstrike

Hi! I booked a 4 day cruise on the Valor as a surprise for my mom. She's never been on a cruise or out of the country before, so it'd be cool if she could at least see some of Mexico. She's in her mid 60's and due to knee issues, can't walk or stand a whole lot. She doesn't want to use a wheelchair and she gets around well enough to not need a cane or walker. I've been to Cozumel many times and have seen pedi cabs at the pier. Do you know if they'd take her all the way through the shopping area to the taxi stand (if we decide to go somewhere) or do they just stop at that first store that you have to walk through?

Also, what are some excursion or activity ideas? She's not really a beach person. My inclination is to hire a driver and just go around the island so she can see it, and then maybe have lunch somewhere. Is there anything else we can do that's low impact that I'm not thinking of? Thank you in advance!

She might really enjoy the submarine excursion. It doesn't go really deep but it goes to some of the shallow reefs, can see lots of fish and maybe even some scuba divers.

Renting a driver for 3-4 hours might be nice, too.

She might really enjoy the submarine excursion. It doesn't go really deep but it goes to some of the shallow reefs, can see lots of fish and maybe even some scuba divers.

Renting a driver for 3-4 hours might be nice, too.

I thought about that one but we both have issues with claustrophobia. :(

Check out the Cozumel Bar Hop! It's not just a bar crawl, but a very nice, social way to see the island. You board an air-conditioned bus or van (depending on how many people sign up) and head to the East/wild side of the island. They stop at four beach restaurants, which all have great views, lively locals waitstaff, fun music. You can order food, drinks, or just hang out for an hour relaxing in the hammocks or chairs! There is very little walking other than from the van to the restaurant/beach. At Coconuts, you'd have to go up a jungle path, but it's built for tourists, so easy and you can go slowly. We've done this tour twice. The first time my husband......while relaxing with a drink at bar #3 and a view to die for...said, "I'd recommend this tour to anyone, even if they don't drink". Such a fun, easy day.

The pedi cabs will take you to the taxi stand and the driver will give you his pedi cab number and someone at the taxi stand will call for him to come and take you back to the ship. We have done this several times as my wife has knee issues also

• 3 weeks later...

Getting a taxi to drive you around is excellent..make sure you know upfront what the driver charges for 4 hours or so. We went over to the island of woman Isla Mujeres is a 20 minute ferry ride from Cancun doe a great time walking around there that is less crowded