What did you eat that was memorable?

Tybeequeen2010

Fair. My wife's Osso Buco, adapted from Mary and Vimcent Price's classic (see eBay) "Treasury of Great Recipes," is much better. She cooks it on the stove and not in the oven and doubles the gremolata. The late LA Times food writer David Shaw chose it as his favorite when he accepted three readers' separate dinner invitations...and all three decided to make Osso Buco!

La Reserve:Their top gourmet menu is excellent.

Jacques: seared foie gras, Dover sole

Polo: Maine Lobster

Toscana: Veal chop

MDR: Kippers with fried or soft scrambled eggs, Salmon Eggs Benedict with a wedge of fresh lime, and Swedish Pancakes with a side of sour cream. Dinner: double order of caviar (when on the menu) with lemon and a chilled Aquavit.

Edited by JPR

I am just wondering if your DH does the same thing at home in a restaurant where he pays for each item.

I sure hope so.

We rarely go out to dinner. We really can't afford it. Besides DH is very picky. He uses the Cruise as place to try out different foods without feeling like he wasted money.

I order 3-4 appetizers for dinner and no dessert. So it evens out.

Thank you for your thoughts about wasting food. [emoji106]🏾

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jacques:

Poached scallop gnocchi with lobster in a white wine sauce

Red Ginger:

Spicy duck and watermelon salad

Avocado lobster salad

Imperial spring rolls

La Reserve Discovery menu:

Cream of Porcini with sauteed duck foie gras bites

Bay scallops on jamon Iberica over Tarbais bean cream

72 hour slowbraised short rib with gnocchi au jus

The whole menu in La Reserve was excellent, but these 3 dishes were outstanding! And the wine pairings were beautiful.

We are new to Oceania, cruising from Barcelona to Rome at the end of October. We have booked Red Ginger for our first night on board as we were able to get a good time slot and a table for 2. When we go to Asian restaurants in the UK, we usually order several dishes to share - is this the way to do things at Red Ginger, or do we just order a starter and main course each?

We are new to Oceania, cruising from Barcelona to Rome at the end of October. We have booked Red Ginger for our first night on board as we were able to get a good time slot and a table for 2. When we go to Asian restaurants in the UK, we usually order several dishes to share - is this the way to do things at Red Ginger, or do we just order a starter and main course each?

Either way will work - your call. Order as much or as little as you wish.

Enjoy!

Paul is right. You can order to share but with only two people there is less to share!

Several years ago our TA hosted a party of 8 which she pre-ordered. It was a much better meal than we ever had in RG! (Remember, I'm not one who is enamored of Red Ginger and we were delighted with the dinner.)

Sharing, I think, is better with a larger group ... but it can work with two.

Just let your waiter know. (In NYC you wouldn't have to tell him ... that's probably true of other cities as well.)

Mura

• 2 months later...
I am grateful for all input. I am an open and variable eater. I am excited for information such as lamb chops for breakfast and the repeated mention of miso-glazed sea bass. Your comments confirm that there are varied and creative offerings. I will be very happy on this cruise. DH, however, is a simple eater and is very happy with a filet mignon, lobster or baked salmon. On other cruises we have taken, there is an "always available" menu in the Main Dining Room which offers steak, salmon, chicken, sometimes shrimp cocktail and usually baked potatoes. Is there an "always available" menu on O?

Let me add my .02

I am a simple eater too. Don't like sauces or fancy stuff. Just the basics.

I also don't eat red meat or pork.

Every day in the Terrace Grill he can get grilled chicken, shrimp, salmon, swordfish, lobster, lamb chops, steak. All you can eat. Some of that is also available at lunch. Some days they have a "pasta of the day." last cruise they also did a "burger of the day" and I looked forward to the turkey burger.

He will be happy with the food.

• 4 months later...

In the past I have ordered 2 entrees. But, my experience with NCL & Carnival is that they can only bring you 2 of the entire plate with sides...way too much food. So, I've been turned off to the double entree thing. I've read on this thread that you possibly can order smaller portions, but, I noticed on the pictures from Preismans that, everything appears to be served a la carte. For example, If you order the lobster in Polo, you get the lobster only. This is not a big deal, but I might try the '2 entree' thing again if it didn't provide food overkill. Very much looking forward to Sept. 1st.

Trying to remember here ... in the specialties it is true that you order a main course and then extra sides.

You don't necessarily do that in the GDR (and certainly not in the buffet). My husband in the past -- he has slowed down -- would order two sides or two mains in the GDR. But I don't see why you couldn't tell the server that you want just the main, etc. They are very accommodating on Oceania.

It's worth a try!

Mura

In the past I have ordered 2 entrees. But, my experience with NCL & Carnival is that they can only bring you 2 of the entire plate with sides...way too much food. So, I've been turned off to the double entree thing. I've read on this thread that you possibly can order smaller portions, but, I noticed on the pictures from Preismans that, everything appears to be served a la carte. For example, If you order the lobster in Polo, you get the lobster only. This is not a big deal, but I might try the '2 entree' thing again if it didn't provide food overkill. Very much looking forward to Sept. 1st.

I grew up in a Sicilian family where Lobster Fra Diavola was on most holiday dinner tables. If a server in Toscana happens to know me, they expect that I will, at least, want it as an "appetizer" portion and it's never been a problem.

The other item that it is hard not to always order is the crispy duck and watermelon salad in Red Ginger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks all. I've had many great meals on cruises, many pretty good and many just plain bad. Reading this thread and others about the meals on O has me mentally arranging where we'll eat and what (and I've seen multiple mentions of the crispy duck and watermelon salad and it's on my list!...along with lobster somewhere every day).

For us, it was Jacques. A real winner.

If you can get an extra booking there, go for it.

Careful on the hopes on the lobster, it was usually overcooked and rubbery on our cruise. An absolute crime. But, people were gobbling it up ;) But I am a tad fussy being from the Maritimes and I do know how to cook lobster ;

I have a number of faves in Jacques (it also is our favorite specialty restaurant). The Iberia pork is wonderful as is the lamb. I regret the deletion of the mussels as an appetizer because they were so fabulous ... but perhaps not always easy to stock.

Mura

Thinking of all this food --what time do the reservations open for booking the specialty restaurants ? After midnight or early morning ?

Midnight Eastern time. It's controlled by computer so it's pretty much at midnight.