gratuities on Carnival Fantasy ?

JLW671076

You'll probably get hundreds of different replies, specially if you post on the Carnival board, where this topic always gets overly heated, but here's my advice.

Keep it simple. Pre-pay your gratuities. Done! You don't have to tip ANYBODY else during your cruise (only exception is if you order room service in which case it's customary to offer a small tip). If you choose not to pre pay, the cruise line will automatically charge them to your onboard account.

You'll read from people who tell you how they like to remove tips, stand in line at guest services, pay cash, adjust tips, make envelopes, chase employees around the ship, select who they tip and who they don't, offer up front tips with promise of more later, slipping the bartender money in the hopes of special treatment etc, etc. All a waste of time in my opinion and 35+ years of cruise travel. Pre-paying your tips take all that hassle out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

It is up to you whether you pay them before the cruise or not but they will be added to your account if you don't. You may adjust them is you wish. If you wish to leave anyone an additional tip you are free to do so. 15% will be added to bar orders over and above the daily tips (which primarily go to waitstaff and room steward).

Prepay or not...it costs the same either way. The folks who serve you don't receive the tips until the cruise is over, as is customary on cruises.

You can be assured that those who are supposed to be tipped, WILL get your tips.

And the crew members, including your waiters& room stewards work a lot more than 8 hours every day of the week for at least 6-8 months before they go on a well deserved vacation. They NEVER get a day off!

We had two different waiters tell me they are paid $85 a MONTH- not a week or day. Many years ago tips were not automatic, everyone got envelops to put all tips in for the last night. But crew were scrxxxed. People would give empty envelops with nothing it them, or not show up last night so they don't have to give tips. This was so very unfair for the crew who always smile, always take care of you

We give extra tips to those you have earned more than their tips.

Should I prepare pay my gratuities or not. And if I don't will the cruise people charge me anyways. Or how would I pay tips to who I wanted to pay them too

Yes, the cruise line will expect you to pay tips one way or the other. If you prepay you don't have to worry about anything else except maybe a tip for room service. Pulling tips and handing out tips to who you think are getting them is useless. The crew member will have to turn in your envelope so it is not going to him at all. Pay the tips and if you want to give a special person more money (tip) just give it extra.

Should I prepare pay my gratuities or not. And if I don't will the cruise people charge me anyways. Or how would I pay tips to who I wanted to pay them too

You can personally hand over cash tips to those you wanted to give, like the cabin steward. or anyone whom you think did an exceptional service. Others give it at end of cruise.

Pre-pay, makes it so much easier. We did this on both of the last 2 cruises we took. Last cruise we decided to tip our waiter and his assistant as well as our cabin steward a bit extra. Left an envelope for the steward and just handed the tips directly to the waitstaff. I think it makes it so much easier... we didn't have the option the first time we cruised and it was a nightmare trying to figure out how much to tip. Do be aware that Carnival adds gratuity to everything, from the drinks to the spa services. I mention because they always have a space for you to add gratuity and my mom did this several times not realizing there was already an automatic tip. Even on the yoga class we did, which is really weird because I have never heard of anyone tipping their yogi. Have fun!!!