Sea Day on Riviera

sandasavi

Hi! I'm taking my first Cruise and on Oceania's Riviera in a couple weeks. We have one Day at Sea (between Ibiza and Amalfi). I have a few idea's of how I will spend the day (sleep in, a trip to the exercise room, strength training, early lunch at Waves for the Surf and Turf Sandwich, swimming, afternoon tea, and my Birthday dinner) but What is your favorite Sea Day activities?

Reading on our verandah. With some liquid refreshment and an occasional snack. Watching the ocean go by.

We will have a few bottles of wine from Ports by that time, so I am sure we will do the same. Can't wait to relax a bit after many Port days!!

We love sea days but I don't think it much matters what ship you are on. They should be having some enrichment lectures as well ... It's not JUST about food!

Mura

They will have all sorts of activities on sea days - more than on port days. Sometimes too many as they may overlap - good problems to have :). We enjoy most lectures , trivia and reading (in addition to tea, etc)

You can read about all of them on your daily currents the night before in your cabin.

Enjoy

We will have a few bottles of wine from Ports by that time, so I am sure we will do the same. Can't wait to relax a bit after many Port days!!

About some other stuff we do that I don't want to talk about here. Enough said. :):):)

We love sea days but I don't think it much matters what ship you are on. They should be having some enrichment lectures as well ... It's not JUST about food!

Mura

Lol! For us it kind of is about the Food. This trip was chosen because of the Food! My parents really wanted to take my husband (the Chef) and myself (trained as a Pastry Chef) on Oceania because of the Food. So here we are. However, I'm sure we will enjoy other activities. My husband is hoping to do the Artist Loft if something catches his eye. He loves art. But, truly we are looking forward to the idea of relaxing and exploring the ship a bit more.

Don't get me wrong! One reason we keep returning to Oceania is indeed the excellent eating. I just meant that on a sea day food is not the only consideration!

Mura

We took bridge lessons. I loved it, my partners not so much.

We got volunteered to be on a trivia team. Note to self, study up on ice hockey.

Fell asleep on the lounger by the pool. People at dinner remembered seeing me and saying how relaxed I was.

Exercised to work up an appetite for dinner.

Plotted how to get more specialty reservations.

Loved it all.

We took bridge lessons. I loved it, my partners not so much.

We got volunteered to be on a trivia team. Note to self, study up on ice hockey.

Fell asleep on the lounger by the pool. People at dinner remembered seeing me and saying how relaxed I was.

Exercised to work up an appetite for dinner.

Plotted how to get more specialty reservations.

Loved it all.

I do hope to fall asleep on a lounger by the pool! That sounds amazing!! I'm not that into trivia but it might be fun to try. Plotting more specialty reservations. That is a must!! :D

Lol! For us it kind of is about the Food. This trip was chosen because of the Food! My parents really wanted to take my husband (the Chef) and myself (trained as a Pastry Chef) on Oceania because of the Food. So here we are. However, I'm sure we will enjoy other activities. My husband is hoping to do the Artist Loft if something catches his eye. He loves art. But, truly we are looking forward to the idea of relaxing and exploring the ship a bit more.

Since you are "foodies", have you:

1 booked any culinary classes (not that you need them - just for fun :D)?

2 booked any dinners in La Reserve?

3 if you are staying in PH (or higher) you can dine en suite from any specialty restaurant course by course - either if you just want to relax in your suite or cannot get additional reservations

PS The Artist Loft is very popular - should show up very early to get a seat as it is first come/first served

Edited by Paulchili

PS The Artist Loft is very popular - should show up very early to get a seat as it is first come/first served

Thanks for the Artist Loft tip.

Yes, we have reservation in La Reserve. We couldn't get reservations in any of the specialty dining due to needing a large table for 5. It's my birthday that day and wanted to dine together with my parents too. So, we plan to go to the MDR or see if any cancelation happen.

I'm doing a culinary class on a Port day, there are not any offered for the Day at Sea. My husband isn't interested in more cooking classes, he could probably teach the class, but I'm not a cook (just Pastry). So, I thought it would be fun and my Mom is doing the class with me and my Son.

I know this sounds awful but since it is close to the end of our cruise and we will be spending a few extra days in Rome after, I might do one load of laundry in the morning. Easy to do when I walk to the Concierge lounge to get coffee. I usually wake up early even on vacation. Will take a nap later in the day by the pool (good way to get a tan).

Thanks for the Artist Loft tip.

Yes, we have reservation in La Reserve. We couldn't get reservations in any of the specialty dining due to needing a large table for 5. It's my birthday that day and wanted to dine together with my parents too. So, we plan to go to the MDR or see if any cancelation happen.

Not sure if I am understanding you completely.

You couldn't get a specialty reservation for 5 on your birthday or on any day? Do you have any specialty reservations at all?

They definitely have tables for 6 in the specialties so you should be able to get them.

If you don't have any reservations, call your TA or Oceania ASAP and see what you can book now.

By the time you are onboard, the remaining dates and times may be more limited. I would use your "Birthday" card for a reservation on your birthday - it is legitimate and they will accommodate you the best they can.

We couldn't get reservations in any of the specialty dining due to needing a large table for 5.

I agree with Paul just call Oceania you should be able to get a table for your group in the Specialties (maybe not on your Birthday ) but they have tables for 6 & 8

If you want a private party for your Birthday maybe book Privee

There is the most fabulous purse store in Ibiza called Lucky one..I know the owner quite well beautiful things at great prices..dont miss it...

If you see her tell Her Jan says hi (I was the one who took her on Regatta to see it)

Jancruz1

Excellent idea Lyn.

If OP has some OBC that is not budgeted for other things, it may be worth waiting till OP is onboard and book Privee for the birthday with OBC.

It's not a huge risk as if it is not available on that day, OP can try for another day but will be able to use OBC for that purpose rather than prepay for it with cash.

To OP - in Privee you can order anything from either Polo's or Toscana's menu.

I agree with Paul just call Oceania you should be able to get a table for your group in the Specialties (maybe not on your Birthday ) but they have tables for 6 & 8

We did call to make our dining reservations because we have two rooms for our entire party. We called the first day that was available for us to make reservation. They didn't have any 6 top tables in any of the Specialties. Privee is booked too. But, I'm ok with all of this. We have Privee booked for two days before. We will do my special Birthday dinner that night and just go to the MDR on my actual birthday. I was disappointed at first but my Parents assured me that my birthday dinner in the MDR would be special as well. They celebrated their 50th Anniversary in the MDR two years ago. I'm excited for Privee.

There is the most fabulous purse store in Ibiza called Lucky one..I know the owner quite well beautiful things at great prices..dont miss it...

If you see her tell Her Jan says hi (I was the one who took her on Regatta to see it)

Jancruz1

I will look for the shop! Love bags!! Thanks for the suggestion!! :D

We did call to make our dining reservations because we have two rooms for our entire party. We called the first day that was available for us to make reservation. They didn't have any 6 top tables in any of the Specialties. Privee is booked too. But, I'm ok with all of this. We have Privee booked for two days before. We will do my special Birthday dinner that night and just go to the MDR on my actual birthday. I was disappointed at first but my Parents assured me that my birthday dinner in the MDR would be special as well. They celebrated their 50th Anniversary in the MDR two years ago. I'm excited for Privee.

Don't give up.

Check with the Concierge when you board - they are very accommodating, especially for special occasions.

They do have 6 tops in all the specialties - you can check with the booking person upon boarding (do it EARLY) to see what they can do for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

I will look for the shop! Love bags!! Thanks for the suggestion!! :D

Go through the gate to Old Town..at the top of the street turn left walk a little way down and its on the right hand side..I hope you love them as much as I..Be sure and tell her I took her on Regatta..I havent seen her for a LONG time

Jancruz1

Go through the gate to Old Town..at the top of the street turn left walk a little way down and its on the right hand side..I hope you love them as much as I..Be sure and tell her I took her on Regatta..I havent seen her for a LONG time

Jancruz1

Thank you. I will try to get there and I will say Hi if I see the owner. Can't wait to go shopping.