Passport expires 4 months after cruise

Hey Guys,

I just have a quick question. I tried searching for a more updated response on the forum, but all of the posts seem kind of old. I just wanted to know from a more recent perspective if I will be ok cruising in July on a passport that expires in November? Its been so many recent changes and back and forth stuff on traveling recently that I don't know what the rules are any more. I am a US citizen but just don't know if the US or Royal have recently cracked down on passports being no less than 6 months. Should I bring my Birth Certificate just in case or do you think I will be ok since it is closed loop? I do not really want to spend the money on a new passport right now or risk it not getting back in time for my cruise at this point. But if I have to then I will because I am too excited for my cruise. Any thoughts?

Thank You :D

The 6 month rule is really more for Europe and such. I have never seen it enforced in the Caribbean. That being said, if you are going to renew your passport anyway, i just did mine in March and it took three weeks without expedited service just to give you an idea of processing times.

Hey Guys,

I just have a quick question. I tried searching for a more updated response on the forum, but all of the posts seem kind of old. I just wanted to know from a more recent perspective if I will be ok cruising in July on a passport that expires in November? Its been so many recent changes and back and forth stuff on traveling recently that I don't know what the rules are any more. I am a US citizen but just don't know if the US or Royal have recently cracked down on passports being no less than 6 months. Should I bring my Birth Certificate just in case or do you think I will be ok since it is closed loop? I do not really want to spend the money on a new passport right now or risk it not getting back in time for my cruise at this point. But if I have to then I will because I am too excited for my cruise. Any thoughts?

Check this site for information.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

Or this one:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go.html

There is nothing official about that site at all. It specifically says it is not a government site and is a private company.

My apologies; I had multiple windows open and copied the wrong link. That's what I get for watching General Hospital and reading the boards at the same time.

There is no country on a RCI North American closed loop cruise that requires a passport to enter the country at a port. A handful of ports require a state issued ID for re-entry to the ship, even fewer require an ID to get off the ship. RCI always recommends you carry an ID whether it is needed or not.

The only problem you run into is if you are abandoned in a foreign port. Then passport expiration, (assuming the ship leaves the passport with the port agent) could become a tricky issue. It's an unlikely event.

Many people use their BC and DL and don't give a passport a second thought. Flying into another country is an entirely different deal. EU is 3 months.

As to whether RCI will crack down. Their site and confirmations recommend 6 months. We have done at least 2 cruises with a passport expiring less than 6 months and nothing was said. Bring your passport, BC, and DL and don't worry about it, and enjoy your cruise.

For a November cruise you have plenty of time to renew your passport. Why not just renewed now?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This. You have plenty of time, you should just renew and then you don't have to worry about it at all.

If you prefer not to renew the passport yet, your current passport is fine for what you are saying is a closed loop cruise of yours. If you need to fly back home for an emergency, your passport is fine since your destination is the US where you are a citizen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I cruised on RCCL in February with a passport that expired in May. It was fine. On the way through customs coming home, the officer just pointed out its quickly approaching expiration date.

Sent from my H1623 using Tapatalk

There is no country on a RCI North American closed loop cruise that requires a passport to enter the country at a port. A handful of ports require a state issued ID for re-entry to the ship, even fewer require an ID to get off the ship. RCI always recommends you carry an ID whether it is needed or not.

The only problem you run into is if you are abandoned in a foreign port. Then passport expiration, (assuming the ship leaves the passport with the port agent) could become a tricky issue. It's an unlikely event.

Many people use their BC and DL and don't give a passport a second thought. Flying into another country is an entirely different deal. EU is 3 months.

As to whether RCI will crack down. Their site and confirmations recommend 6 months. We have done at least 2 cruises with a passport expiring less than 6 months and nothing was said. Bring your passport, BC, and DL and don't worry about it, and enjoy your cruise.

sticky how. That 6 month rule is for flying in if they are enforcing it. If you got stuck there, oh well. Has nothing to do with getting home again

Hey Guys,

absolutely no problem. Renew when you get home.

sticky how. That 6 month rule is for flying in if they are enforcing it. If you got stuck there, oh well. Has nothing to do with getting home again

I understand, but the 6 month rule is a catch all and most countries it's less.

I have no first hand knowledge! But it has been reported more than once on CC that if you are abandoned in a port-of-call in some countries they will not let you fly with a passport that does not fit their rules. Personally I think the whole thing is bogus, but as I said it has been reported on CC.

So in that light, it might have something to do with you getting home.

One exception: CUBA. If you plan to visit Cuba, you must have a passport with 6+ months left after cruising. You must present it when you leave the ship, along with your visa.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cuba/faq

Look under the "Cuba Travel Requirements" section.

One exception: CUBA. If you plan to visit Cuba, you must have a passport with 6+ months left after cruising. You must present it when you leave the ship, along with your visa.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cuba/faq

Look under the "Cuba Travel Requirements" section.

Ah yes, thank you for the correction. I keep forgetting about Cuba!

Maybe someday they will get with the program.

I understand, but the 6 month rule is a catch all and most countries it's less.

I have no first hand knowledge! But it has been reported more than once on CC that if you are abandoned in a port-of-call in some countries they will not let you fly with a passport that does not fit their rules. Personally I think the whole thing is bogus, but as I said it has been reported on CC.

So in that light, it might have something to do with you getting home.

If for some reason all of this happens, you would go to the embassy (or equivalent) and get a new passport (or if possible a renewal). It would add time on to your stay there. But it would be done.

Folks are correct. We were on an Eastern Caribbean loop closed loop cruise and my passport was set to expire about a month afterwards. When I presented it to the customs agent, he looked at it and asked me if I knew. I told him yes, but didn't want to risk not getting it back in time before the sailing. He said fine and let me move on. Not a problem. As someone else stated, that 6 month rule is mainly for European and other countries more than North American and Caribbean.

Erika

For a November cruise you have plenty of time to renew your passport. Why not just renewed now?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had the same issue for our August Empress cruise. Since the cruise included Cuba (and we had another cruise scheduled in February), we decided to renew our passports now, 6 months early. We did it by mail (NOTE: separate checks for each passport renewal request!). New passports back to us in 11 days! Easy peasy.

'

Thanks everyone for giving me some advice. It sounds like we will be ok. I will run it passed my mom to see if she wants to go ahead and renew or not. Since it sounds like people are getting theirs back fairly quickly. But if not, it doesn't look like any of the places we are traveling require a certain amount of months remaining. Mine and hers are the only 2 expiring soon. My dad still has a couple years left on his.

Hey Guys,

As long as you are cruise on a closed loop cruise out of the US as long as your passport is valid on the day you return you are fine. There is no 6 month rule for cruises. Before you let anyone convenience you that it has to be valid for six months after your return, remind yourself of this: A passport is not required for your cruise you can take the cruise using a birth certificate and a drivers license.