Questioning cruise that includes Bangkok

SusanNJ

i am scheduled to go on a cruise that includes Bangkok. In light of the recent bombing, I am a little nervous. I know living near NY, I could have been walking where the people were plowed down. Any suggestions as to sightseeing that might keep us away from crowds?

There are incidents all over the world. The ship tours will take you to well policed areas. Net is just go and enjoy.

If you want an alternative that keeps you out of Bangkok, there may be ship tour to a wonderful zoo where you can hold a baby tiger on your lap and have your picture taken with a very much alive tiger. We did this excursion on a celebrity cruise because we've been to Bangkok before.

My recommendation is that Bangkok and the wats are not to be missed experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a rule we have avoided destinations where there is continuing civil unrest. But where there have been seemingly isolated incidents we visit there as the chance of a repeat exactly when we visit is minuscule. Enjoy your trip.

Destinations like San Bernadino and Manchester? No one has a crystal ball or can predict where the next incident will taker place so my attitude is to travel where I want within reason and use common sense while there. That said, I'm not booking any trips to Aleppo or Pyonyang.

We've been to Bangkok and the traffic is pretty horrendous.....if this helps you any....our experience tells us that it would be very difficult for any car to gain enough speed to knock anyone down...it is bumper to bumper and slooooow.

ccritic threads all say that if you are doing diy at bangkok, please allow 3 hrs to return to the ship....it can be just that bad.

That said....try not to worry about what might happen, just go and enjoy. The world is a wonderful place to visit.

We've been to Bangkok and the traffic is pretty horrendous.....if this helps you any....our experience tells us that it would be very difficult for any car to gain enough speed to knock anyone down...it is bumper to bumper and slooooow.

ccritic threads all say that if you are doing diy at bangkok, please allow 3 hrs to return to the ship....it can be just that bad.

That said....try not to worry about what might happen, just go and enjoy. The world is a wonderful place to visit.

The only way to really see Bangkok is to start a cruise there or to end one there. It is a wonderful place to visit, but you need three days to see most of the major sights.

Any suggestions about excursions either from the cruise or private companies would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you checked your roll call?

Another place to explore - especially for private companies - is the ports of call section of CC (and TripAdvisor).

i am scheduled to go on a cruise that includes Bangkok. In light of the recent bombing, I am a little nervous. I know living near NY, I could have been walking where the people were plowed down. Any suggestions as to sightseeing that might keep us away from crowds?

I sort of get your concern. I live in NYC, take the subway during rush hour every work day, attend the theater, etc. I'm in crowded, high-target areas in a high-profile city almost every day.

While we all have to accept reality, life is simply too short to worry over what you can't predict. The next terrorist attack might be in Dubuque, Iowa or in a village in Wales or in Times Square.

Try to recognize that the chance of anything bad happening while you are in Bangkok is extremely low.

****e happens. But life has to happen too.

What recent bombing are you referring to? Bangkok has had many over the years. There have been bombings all over the world. This shouldn't stop you from traveling. If anything, things are safer shortly after a bomb goes off somewhere with heightened security.