We are thinking about a future O cruise- question regarding internet----

Jetswdo

Don't see why doing this or perhaps setting up a hot spot on your phone would cause any more issues than buying another access. Seems like it would work albeit probably slower than you would like but, no slower than a separate account.

I may know very soon. We'll be flying home from Lisbon on June 22nd. I'm not looking forward to not being able to have my Kindle on hand plus my laptop being in an unlocked suitcase. There's also the aspect that has been raised of the danger of fire from lithium batteries in the hold.

I may know very soon. We'll be flying home from Lisbon on June 22nd. I'm not looking forward to not being able to have my Kindle on hand plus my laptop being in an unlocked suitcase. There's also the aspect that has been raised of the danger of fire from lithium batteries in the hold.

Mura, Lithium batteries are fine as long as they are installed in the device they are made for. The problem is will loose lithium batteries and those not properly packaged and protected. Otherwise why is there not a limit to the number of on board devices with lithium batteries. They are as safe in the hold as in the cabin as long as they are installed in their devices and if loose ones have the protective cap on them.

That is reassuring, Dave, although in a way I'd like the Europeans to continue to be worried about this... so that I can have my Kindle and laptop on board with me! Then there was the news today about the guy on the United flight who tried to gain access to the cockpit while carrying his laptop ...

I have not read the latest on the subject of laptops etc but can you no longer lock your bags either ???

Lyn, we haven't been able to lock our bags ever since 9/11. Now maybe things have changed in that respect and we just assumed that was still the case! There are things you can get that will "lock" the suitcase but are not really locks ... but problems have been reported about thefts by airport employees. If they can access the contents of a suitcase, they can take what they want.

On one or two occasions in the years since 9/11 we've seen a note in our bags that said they were inspected. But only once or twice.

Mura

Lyn, we haven't been able to lock our bags ever since 9/11. Now maybe things have changed in that respect and we just assumed that was still the case! There are things you can get that will "lock" the suitcase but are not really locks ... but problems have been reported about thefts by airport employees. If they can access the contents of a suitcase, they can take what they want.

On one or two occasions in the years since 9/11 we've seen a note in our bags that said they were inspected. But only once or twice.

Mura

I have always locked my bags

When flying to the USA I use zip ties but otherwise it is a lock

Only had the note once... coming back from MIA & that time I forgot to take the lock off so of course they cut it off :)

I have always locked my bags

When flying to the USA I use zip ties but otherwise it is a lock

Only had the note once... coming back from MIA & that time I forgot to take the lock off so of course they cut it off :)

Lyn,

Have you tried the TSA approved locks? They can open them and re-lock your suitcase.

It's the only kind we use.

Lyn,

Have you tried the TSA approved locks? They can open them and re-lock your suitcase.

I just use regular locks when flying to Europe so far no problem

Just MIA because I forgot to swap to zip ties before I checked the bag

I had a book in the bag so I guess they thought it was suspicious ;)

Lyn,

Hi,

I know this thread has kind of got sidetracked.

But, all this TSA lock and not wanting anyone opening our suitcase stuff kind of made me chuckle from a video I watched on youtube a few years back.

Anyone want their bubble burst should watch the youtube video from link below:

Needless to say I gave up on the TSA locks a long time ago as I know if someone wants to commit a crime stealing something out of our bags there is nothing to stop the bad guy :(

Cheers,

John

Indeed, thanks for the video. So I'm just as likely to be ripped off by continuing not to put anything on the suitcase as if I used these wonderful TSA locks. Very reassuring ...

Indeed, thanks for the video. So I'm just as likely to be ripped off by continuing not to put anything on the suitcase as if I used these wonderful TSA locks. Very reassuring ...

I don't know about that.

Not everyone knows about the "ball point pen" scam or how to open TSA locks but everyone knows how to open a suitcase without a lock :D

a lock may slow down the thief so they may just move on to a suitcase without any lock

quick in/out

If someone wants something that does not belong to them they will find a way

With regard to the unlimited internet: when I paid the daily rate it worked great. Now that everyone has it, it's virtually impossible to use except in the wee hours. I would never pay the daily rate.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

I know this thread has kind of got sidetracked.

But, all this TSA lock and not wanting anyone opening our suitcase stuff kind of made me chuckle from a video I watched on youtube a few years back.

Anyone want their bubble burst should watch the youtube video from link below:

Needless to say I gave up on the TSA locks a long time ago as I know if someone wants to commit a crime stealing something out of our bags there is nothing to stop the bad guy :(

Cheers,

John

1. Loved the video -- especially the hand grenade touch :). But my understanding is that if you have a hard bag with a hard lock, airline personnel still have the right to open it anytime they want, not just at checkin when you are there with keys, which is why people use TSA locks ( next to useless, apparently, per the video, for true security)

2. On-board electronics -- When we travel, DH and I each bring a laptop ( for work) ipad, and iphones. DH's and my laptops have complicated set-ups on them that allow us to securely access our confidential work functions, and we always have them in our carryon bags. If plane wifi is working, we often work, so although I would be capable of just reading a book off my permitted phone the whole trip, or a paperback if they ban phones, not being able to take laptops on will greatly inconvience business travelers and discourage leisure travelers who need to be in touch.

3. ship internet -- If a ship has an unlimited internet package, though slow, we buy it, and keep up with work during down time, but get off ASAP to avoid hogging others' ability to get on. We will test this on our upcoming, first Oceania cruise. We also get cellular plans for $10/day per country where there will be ports and set up hot spots on our laptops off those cells, to get around the slow ships' wifi, but this obviously will not work in remote areas.

Without convenient internet, we would not be able to travel as much as we do, and our biggest complaint on ships is crappy wifi where you cannot get on at all to do work because on top of the ship wifi limitations, now so many pax have unlimited internet and are just chit-chatting with grandkids to kill time. We would be happy to pay a premium for internet on a ship if it would work reasonably quickly and reliably ( that would discourage some of the casual surfers), but I have yet to find a ship with that capacity, even the luxury ships' wifi is poor.

Re the speed: we video skyped on the Marina in French Polynesia. It all depends on bandwidth usage.

Re the cabin ban on laptops. It is laptops -not IPADS or equivalent. There is not enough cavity space to hide bad stuff in a IPAD.

A side question if they put the luggage in the hold, is it going into the non pressurized holds? Safest place for dangerous goods that's not good for the modern screen materials

RE luggage theft - happens on long layovers No zippered luggage is safe. some South American countries have a baggage service that wraps you bags in shrink wrap, but that is also a flag.

I used to be a high end laptop user, but I'm going to a Android notebook with a bluetooth keyboard for my next device.

Can one of two devices be used as a blue tooth hot spot whereby the second device can access the internet through the first one without using a second log on? Is that possible?

I plan on bringing a USB wi-fi dongle that doubles as a wi-fi hotspot. They're cheap, like $20 or so and I already had one for awhile. I'm not expecting earthshattering speeds, but the ability to just receive email etc. on multiple devices at once without logging on/off will be worth it.

can you explain wifi dongle? i know wifi and dongle, but not paired. would you use this on cabin's laptop?

thanks!

of course, no lightening thingy for my iphone....right?

Hi, sorry I forgot about this post but if you have a laptop, you can buy a USB dongle that is normally a Wi-Fi dongle that can also double as a soft Access Point, ie. instead of a Wi-Fi receiver, it can also be a Wi-Fi transmitter. Then you connect to it using the SSID and WPA2 Key the same way you would connect to your router or an Access Point like Star bucks etc.

It takes some configuration and software installation, but the one I have works wonderfully. The speed is still limited to the speed of your internet (slow on Oceania apparently) but you can connect multiple devices without having to log on/off, just connect the Master Laptop to Oceania's Wi-Fi with the dongle and then any number of number of slave devices can then connect to the broadcasting dongle's SSID.

Here's the one I own, only $13:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704140&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Wireless+Adapters-_-N82E16833704140&gclid=CjwKEAjw07nJBRDG_tvshefHhWQSJABRcE-ZTCpQL-wA1bBcUz8S9TNlX0uXbq_7YoGImnd7dMyB-BoCbk7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And here is how you connect to the internet:

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-767.html