taxis in barcelona

xeena

I agree, very easy to get a cab from the airport to your hotel or the ship. If you want to be sure, there are plenty of car services that can be booked in advance.

We took a taxi from the ship to our hotel just off la Rambla at the bottom of the road near the harbour and paid under €25 including tip. Next day we took a taxi from the hotel to the airport - that was about €40. no problem in getting taxis at either place...

We took a taxi from the ship to our hotel just off la Rambla at the bottom of the road near the harbour and paid under €25 including tip. Next day we took a taxi from the hotel to the airport - that was about €40. no problem in getting taxis at either place...

Been told in previous posts no tip. or just round it up a bit. ???

One more question: we booked air through Oceania and they have us on a 10:10 am flight from Barcelona. Since Oceania lists an 8 am arrival time, that seemed to be cutting it a bit close. We asked for a later connection and they were unable to accommodate us. Our TA didn't think there would be a problem is grabbing a taxi and getting to the airport on time. So my question for more experienced Oceania cruisers - would you advise us to reserve one of the recommended transfer services ahead of time? Or should we invest in the Oceania transfer?

Thanks so much!

So my question for more experienced Oceania cruisers - would you advise us to reserve one of the recommended transfer services ahead of time? Or should we invest in the Oceania transfer?

The answer to your question is threefold:

1) The Air Dept has inside information as to when the ship will actually be berthing, which may be hours before what is printed in the brochures.

2) A Private Transfer via taxi will always be quicker than the Oceania transfers which use motor coaches.

3) All of the above is dependent on the ship clearing Customs & Immigration smoothly. If the Inspectors ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

One more question: we booked air through Oceania and they have us on a 10:10 am flight from Barcelona. Since Oceania lists an 8 am arrival time, that seemed to be cutting it a bit close. We asked for a later connection and they were unable to accommodate us. Our TA didn't think there would be a problem is grabbing a taxi and getting to the airport on time. So my question for more experienced Oceania cruisers - would you advise us to reserve one of the recommended transfer services ahead of time? Or should we invest in the Oceania transfer?

Thanks so much!

The ship will probably arrive earlier but the timing would send me over the edge

I would prebook a taxi or private service & get off as soon as you can

That is why I do a deviation or book my own flights

I would be so stressed that I might miss my flight

Hopefully someone that has been there, done that will be more reassuring

During Fall, 2015, we had the good fortune to spend 6 weeks in Barcelona. We walked, used public transit, and took a lot of cabs. The cabs were great, and very affordable. I think the 40 Euro estimate from the airport to the cruise ship port is in the ball park. Cab drivers were very kind and honest.

well, now i am becoming stressed out! and i haven't even gotten the flight info yet

Why?

I thought your cruise ends in Athens?

Could be totally different flight times from there to the USA

If you choose not to deviate then you take your chances on what flights O will give you

Once you get them then you can stress out :cool:

yes, i can stress out next week when i get flight info. my fear is that we are scheduled to arrive in barcelona around 10pm and ship leaves at 11pm. or we have flight delays with similar results and we miss the ship because we haven't coughed up the pricey ship transfers. it is my anxiety kicking in.

It's always possible that they could schedule a tight connection, but I can't remember a time when a ship provided flight arrived so close to the ship's departure. You're supposed to be on board more than an hour before.

Plus, I don't know your departure city ... but from NY most flights (I'm talking non-stops with no connections) arrive in Barcelona early in the morning ... it can be more difficult to check into your hotel I THINK than arriving at the ship on time.

Most problems happen with using the ship's air without a deviation is when there are unpredictable delays. And yes, THAT can happen. But I can't imagine Oceania scheduling you on a flight that arrives after you are already supposed to be on board.

Anyway, we prefer deviations when using the ship's air because almost always we want some time in the departure port ... not to mention the safety of still being able to make the ship in case one of those unforeseen delays occurs.

Even when booking our own air we go in early.

Methinks you may be over-obsessing here ... but I understand why you would!

Mura

we are flying out of Charlotte, NC. we went to italy a few years ago on a land tour....flew with their air on Lufthansa with one connection in either Frankfurt or Munich (can not remember) to Naples. got in early afternoon....but that was before all the craziness with flights really began in earnest.

i wouldn't think O would schedule so tight, but delays and mechanicals are factors beyond control. i booked with O air in case we missed first port due to delay....confident they would get us to the next port. poster Ponstad raised the issue with a barcelona departure flight @ 10am and disembarkation perhaps at 8AM...(and that depends on if all goes well with customs).

i know....obsessing. and what is a "deviation"? extended days prior and post cruise? BTW, DH thinks a 10 day cruise is a bit too long in the first place..... :)

Either your TA or Oceania should have informed you about what a deviation is! That's when you use their air, but go in early (and/or come back late). Others will say what the current charge is -- once upon a time it was $150 for both but that was then. We tend to do our own air so I'm not sure of the current cost. Others will correct!

BUT for that you can name the time you want to arrive and the time you want to leave. (Yes, you can pick the deviation in only one direction, it doesn't have to be round trip.) I think the outer limit is 7 days, not sure about that. What WE usually do is fly in 2-3 days before a cruise and spend 2-3 days in the final port.

BUT ... if you are concerned about making the ship in time, the deviation is the safest way to go. Plus you get to visit the departure city which for us is a real plus.

Again, compare the various prices... what it would cost you to do your own air ... the credit you get on the cruise fare for doing your own ... and so on. In years gone by the credit for doing your own air was much better than it seems to be these days. If you do your homework you can figure out if you can do better by booking your own air or using Oceania's air.

With a deviation you ask the cruiseline for flights, etc., and you don't pay the deviation fee until you accept the flights. BUT the deviation fee is not refundable ...

For most of us this is a good way to go. And if you worry about your flight not getting you there in time, it can be worth the cost.

On our June 2006 Iceland cruise I ran into a high school classmate of mine. (Long after we graduated!) They'd been flying from the Los Angeles area and flights were cancelled. In their case they didn't catch the ship until we got to Oslo, about three days on. Had they had a deviation, they'd have been okay.

Mura

P.S. My DH objects to long trips as well, but is not as extreme as yours. I like longer trips ... don't like adjusting to the time change for a short trip! But 10 days would definitely be too short for me. DH likes 14 days on the ship ... I usually push that to 21 ...

it was explained when i asked about going a day early....it was very expensive! O agent did not use that term though.

our initial cruise was 8 days...and DH said that was long enough. now, after accepting incentives on a different voyage, it is a 10 day trip. hence no extensions.....

we are flying out of Charlotte, NC. we went to italy a few years ago on a land tour....flew with their air on Lufthansa with one connection in either Frankfurt or Munich (can not remember) to Naples. got in early afternoon....but that was before all the craziness with flights really began in earnest.

i wouldn't think O would schedule so tight, but delays and mechanicals are factors beyond control. i booked with O air in case we missed first port due to delay....confident they would get us to the next port. poster Ponstad raised the issue with a barcelona departure flight @ 10am and disembarkation perhaps at 8AM...(and that depends on if all goes well with customs).

i know....obsessing. and what is a "deviation"? extended days prior and post cruise? BTW, DH thinks a 10 day cruise is a bit too long in the first place..... :)

Really don't want to stress you anymore than you are already but, should you be delayed and miss your departure, according to the O T's and C's, they have no responsibility to get you to the next port. That said, there are times when O does step up and take care of problems like this but, really can't be sure as air issues are the passenger's responsibility officially per the T's and C's.