Where / How do you book your cruises?

jargey3000

Well, being a six year member, you should know we can't name travel agents/agencies.

I have a very good travel agent who I sometimes book with, or transfer to. But I also book online myself, directly with the cruise line. I have never used an online agency for a cruise. EM

I book with the lowest priced reputable entity, which is usually a big online cruise agency. Great service, never used the same agency two times in a row and never used the same agent twice.

At the risk of repeating myself (what else is new) we will again post our simple strategy for booking cruises (we have been on far more then 100 cruises around the world). We simply shop around for the best overall deal....using only reputable cruise agencies...and comparing to the cruise line's own web sites. In far more then 100 bookings there has only been 1 time (a Celebrity cruise) where the cruise line actually had a better deal (and this happened years ago).

As a basic guideline we expect to save 7-10% when compared to the best offering by the cruise line....when we use decent online cruise agencies. The savings are calculated by comparing the total booking package including the cruise cost, on board credits, extra amenities, etc. Since we tend to book longer (often over 1 month) more expensive cruises our savings (when compared to booking direct with a cruise line) is often measured in the thousands of dollars (for a single cruise). Those booking a typical 7 day cruise can be expected to save a few hundred dollars (by shopping around).

Hank

I started cruising way back in 1983 on Royal Caribbean's Song Of America. I have booked my thirty five plus cruises with travel agents, online cruise travel agencies, and even with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, and Holland America directly. I normally book at least six months to a year in advance and book when I'm comfortable with the price. I have only received one free upgrade on Carnival and numerous up sells over the years. A Holland America Baltic cruise that my family reserved in July 2016 for June 2017 has reduced in price over sixteen hundred dollars with a cabin category upgrade. I have never been upset over a price I paid since I got hooked in May 1983.

We had a rocky start with a couple of bad TA's. There was no Internet when we started to cruise. So had to hunt around on our own.

We were fortunate after a few years to find a TA that we have used over 26 years. We like the idea that we can go and see her any time -- talk to her on the phone -- e-mail. And she has gotten to know what we like.

Thanks. I've only booked 4 cruises - different lines.

Booked 1 direct & 3 online with TAs. What I've found is that the online TAs all show the same category pricing, and it's the same as the cruiseline's websites, BUT they also offer an additional onboard credit that brings the price below the cruiselines' price.

So, they're all basically the SAME - just choose one.

Is that most people's experience with online TAs?

Naming Travel Agents is against CC policy.

I normally book my own and sometimes transfer them to a TA......it depends on the cruise.

I used a TA for my first cruise and booked through the cruise lines' websites for the others. I would not be against using a travel agent if I found a good one. I know what I am getting when I book directly with the cruise line. I would hate to run into a bad TA and have something get messed up.

I always use a TA. I am not a good negotiator so I need a TA to do it for me (and that has happened a number of times). I also like the perks that the TA gives me that I would not get if I booked with the cruise line directly.

I would hate to run into a bad TA and have something get messed up.

No worries for me. The online agencies have always sent a confirmation showing the cruise, cabin number, price, OBC, payment date(s), etc. Any credit card charges have been credited to the cruise line, not the agency.

I would select an agency to save $50, am surprised at those who pay thousands of dollars extra without comparison shopping.

I've only been on two that I booked myself, and I booked them myself. It never occurred to me to use any other source, but threads like these are making me think I should try travel agencies. I hope it'd still allow me to see it online myself, reserve excursions, etc.?

Just curious as to how most people book their cruises?

Directly with the cruise lines? Or Travel Agents (if so, which ones)? Phone or Online? Other? Thanks.

Would source and choose the best offer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Directly with the cruise lines? Or Travel Agents (if so, which ones)? Phone or Online? Other? Thanks.

Last that I heard , per CLI A , 65% of cruise bookings are thru TA's both Online and brick/mortar.

Of course it use to be 95% before the internet .

There were far fewer cruise ships then , and most were small compared to todays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by MCC retired

I did mention, in a prior post, about shopping around for our cruises. So today we had a perfect example. We were pricing-out a November 2018 cruise in a very elite cabin category (ship within a ship concept). We checked the price on the cruise line's site and it was approximately $12,300. We looked at 3 of our favorite cruise agencies and two of them had exactly the same price and amenities as the cruise line. But the third agency (another reputable agency we have sometimes used for over 25 years) had the cruise for the same price.....but they tossed in pre paid gratuities plus $750 in on board credits...a package worth over $1200. In the case of this particular booking this is about a 9% discount!

So here is a question for some folks. Would you pay over $1000 more...just to book on the cruise line's web site? Or would you pay over $1000 more to your favorite travel agent...who might actually give you a bottle of cheap wine?

We will continue to "shop around" a few other of our favored cruise agencies...and book this cruise in the next couple of days....with whoever gives us the best overall deal. Unfortunately, my personal favorite travel agent/agency is not offering the best deal (this time). I will likely call this agent tomorrow, tell her about my research...and ask if she can equal or beat the best deal. Once I have that answer I will book the cruise with agency that has the best offer. My total time "shopping around" will likely have taken about an hour, Not bad considering we will be saving over $1000.

Hank

Because we prefer one particular premium cruise line, we have narrowed down our cadre of TAs to three individuals, each a member of the cruise line's "top selling" preferred partner "club."

One TA is a small cruise agency owner who specializes almost entirely in our preferred line. The next is a staff member of a well known premium/luxury cruise agency, which is also part of a larger travel consortium (providing additional perks for select cruises). The third TA is the manager of a large primarily web-based cruise agency and he is an exceptional negotiator with the cruise line when it comes to price matches/breaks/etc.

Whether we book from home or onboard (with eventual transfer to a TA), we connect with all three agents to determine what each one can add (how much/many perks) to the current cruise line's deal. And the perks aren't necessarily all "bottom line" dollar value based.

Note, however, that we never play one TA against another. Rather we do our homework (even perhaps occasionally spotchecking highly recommended TAs of our fellow passengers), and then do our best to arrive at a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Another major benefit of this "flexible" loyalty is that we know each of the three individuals will immediately 'go to bat' for us should a booking issue ever arise and alert us quickly if things like limited upgrades/upsells come to their attention (remember their preferred "club" status).

We view cruises as a commodity item. Price wins out when it comes to TA's since the only service we need is a booking system. And once in a while a re-price.

Bottom line...we get far better value from our on line TA in the form of better pricing and commission rebates in the form of OBC's than we get from any cruise line loyalty program.

We are not looking for a new best friend, a chat and a coffee, a free dinner or bottle of wine. We simply want the best price net of all rebates, obc's etc. We are happy to buy our own wine, alternate dining venues, etc.

I book by phone with a travel agency that gives free insurance and also loyalty points that can be saved and used toward future cruises.

Because we prefer one particular premium cruise line, we have narrowed down our cadre of TAs to three individuals, each a member of the cruise line's "top selling" preferred partner "club."

One TA is a small cruise agency owner who specializes almost entirely in our preferred line. The next is a staff member of a well known premium/luxury cruise agency, which is also part of a larger travel consortium (providing additional perks for select cruises). The third TA is the manager of a large primarily web-based cruise agency and he is an exceptional negotiator with the cruise line when it comes to price matches/breaks/etc.

Whether we book from home or onboard (with eventual transfer to a TA), we connect with all three agents to determine what each one can add (how much/many perks) to the current cruise line's deal. And the perks aren't necessarily all "bottom line" dollar value based.

Note, however, that we never play one TA against another. Rather we do our homework (even perhaps occasionally spotchecking highly recommended TAs of our fellow passengers), and then do our best to arrive at a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Another major benefit of this "flexible" loyalty is that we know each of the three individuals will immediately 'go to bat' for us should a booking issue ever arise and alert us quickly if things like limited upgrades/upsells come to their attention (remember their preferred "club" status).

I once had a friend who only owned VW Bugs....and boasted that he had never been in any other kind of car. To him, VW Bugs were the greatest cars ever built and no other car was of higher quality or more comfy. So when you say you prefer "one cruise line" we wonder how many cruise lines you have tried within the past 3 or 4 years. There are more then 25 cruise lines...each with pros and cons. Locking oneself into a single cruise line is akin to our friend who only liked his VW bugs.

My first cruise (in the early 70s) was on a 14,000 ton NCL ship...and I thought the line and ship were the greatest. A few years later we got brave and tried RCCL and thought they were far better then NCL. And then there was Princess, Crystal, Celebrity, HAL, etc etc. The one lesson we have learned from cruising on 14 different lines (and about to book our 15th line) is that there are always better options. Another factoid is that cruise lines are always changing (reinventing themselves) so what is great one day...may not be so great the next day.

Hank

I once had a friend who only owned VW Bugs....and boasted that he had never been in any other kind of car. To him, VW Bugs were the greatest cars ever built and no other car was of higher quality or more comfy. So when you say you prefer "one cruise line" we wonder how many cruise lines you have tried within the past 3 or 4 years. There are more then 25 cruise lines...each with pros and cons. Locking oneself into a single cruise line is akin to our friend who only liked his VW bugs.

My first cruise (in the early 70s) was on a 14,000 ton NCL ship...and I thought the line and ship were the greatest. A few years later we got brave and tried RCCL and thought they were far better then NCL. And then there was Princess, Crystal, Celebrity, HAL, etc etc. The one lesson we have learned from cruising on 14 different lines (and about to book our 15th line) is that there are always better options. Another factoid is that cruise lines are always changing (reinventing themselves) so what is great one day...may not be so great the next day.

Hank

At my age, I've figured out what I prefer in all sorts of arenas from restaurants to cars to cruises. And those preferences have come from a healthy mix of experience and research enveloped in value.

Occasionally, I'll find brands and vendors that most closely match my preferences and do so with value.

At the same time, I always have an eye open to new possibilities and even depart from long held traditions (recently went from Lexus to Audi - imagine that!)

I've cruised a variety of lines over the years. And that has resulted in my preference for one particular line that "checks all my boxes" (including things as varied as food quality and the passenger population profile) and does so at a value laden price made even better with substantial loyalty perks.

Again, not to say that I am not open to a different experience. In fact, each of those top TAs I mentioned knows what I like and I trust that they'll alert me to anything different worth considering. In fact, with granddaughter almost at the right age to begin to enjoy and learn from travel, we'll probably be doing a Disney cruise in the not-too-distant future.

To each his own.